The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2005, 02:37 PM   #1
mg83

The work begins

Hello all. I have been lurking around here for a couple of years. My truck is a 83 longbed Silverado. After 2 years of looking at it sitting in my driveway, I am putting it in my garage this weekend. Plans include new paint, new engine, new transmission, new interior, and new wiring. Have any of you used the painless universal harness #10201? The wiring on my truck has been hacked pretty bad so I would like to rewire it. Thanks for any input.
mg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 02:50 PM   #2
Russell
Professional Grade

I have heard nothing but good about painless wiring harnesses, less their cost, lol

Take your time with the project, you don't wanna get burnt out on it and give up. There will be some months you barely seem to make any progress at all, and other weeks that she'll fly ahead.

Also, make sure that you can afford to do this right now, I've got about 8 - 10 grand into my truck, and it was just a quick econo-frame off (few new components, just making old ones look new, or fixing problems as I go) Some guys have up to 25 grand into their trucks to make them look the way they do. Either that, or expect it to take a few years

All that said, good luck man, and have fun! This is a great hobby as far as I am concerned, and the end effort is well worth it! I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and my truck is finally starting to look like a truck agian

Last edited by Russell; 08-10-2005 at 02:51 PM.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 03:16 PM   #3
86 GMG

Russell that was geat advice. i personnally dont know how much money i have dumped in to my truck and i think i would quit working on it right now and sell it and take a loss than know what really has been spent but anyway i love my truck and all the junk parts laying around is like christmas everytime i need a part b/c i go out and look for it if i have it i smile think about what it would have cost me at the junk yard and then go and buy a coke with the 1.00 fee they charge just to enter the yard but no seriously dont bit off more than you can chew at once do a little work drive it enjoy it and then do more modifications as funds come along and as far as the wire harness you might look in to finding a good harness from a junk yard it might be easier than a (universal) harness just my .02 oh and welcome to are addictions im matt
Old 08-10-2005, 03:55 PM   #4
bigarmzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 GMG
Russell that was geat advice. i personnally dont know how much money i have dumped in to my truck and i think i would quit working on it right now and sell it and take a loss than know what really has been spent but anyway i love my truck and all the junk parts laying around is like christmas everytime i need a part b/c i go out and look for it if i have it i smile think about what it would have cost me at the junk yard and then go and buy a coke with the 1.00 fee they charge just to enter the yard but no seriously dont bit off more than you can chew at once do a little work drive it enjoy it and then do more modifications as funds come along and as far as the wire harness you might look in to finding a good harness from a junk yard it might be easier than a (universal) harness just my .02 oh and welcome to are addictions im matt

did i read that right?...they charge ya $1 out there just to enter there junk yard?...what a bunch of crap
Old 08-10-2005, 04:20 PM   #5
86 GMG

no you didnt read that wrong a f@#$%%^ $1 just to enter but i usually have enough small thing in my tool box to make up for it
Old 08-10-2005, 04:51 PM   #6
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigarmzz
did i read that right?...they charge ya $1 out there just to enter there junk yard?...what a bunch of crap
The place around here with the best selection of parts does the same thing. I just make sure I always leave with $1.00 worth of nuts, bolts, and stuff I might need. I go there because they price stuff by the type of part rather than by what it came from. Just to keep things simple for them, the price is the same whether it comes off a Chevette or a C10.

Slonaker
Old 08-10-2005, 05:35 PM   #7
a28doc
'87 V20 4x4

we have a couple of yards here where customers arent allowed in the yard period you have to tell them what you want and they go get it
Doc
a28doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 05:46 PM   #8
86 GMG

forget that i want to see the vehicle the parts came off of, the damage to a car can tell you a lot about the parts. something else i look for is quality of the interior that can sometimes tell you how the vehicle was taken care of during its life
Old 08-10-2005, 06:37 PM   #9
bigarmzz

oh i get it....

they charge ya $1 to get it

ya get $15 worth of extra's in the toolbox
Old 08-10-2005, 08:52 PM   #10
86 GMG

Thumbs up

bingo