The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2005, 05:29 PM   #1
briarpatch

Stereo/CD player recommendations

I know there have been some threads in the past regarding this, but I can't find them doing the google. All I want is a very basic radio/cd player and some speakers for my '67 C10.

The OEM radio is still in it, and I might consider leaving it there and mounting the new unit under the dash. I replaced the OEM dash speaker with a replacement one suitable for the AM radio.

Crutchfield sells a Pioneer DEH-1700 which is about what I am looking for. Kick panel speakers would be nice, but they seem kinda pricey. Don't really want to cut holes anywhere.

Would appreciate some ideas based on your experience. Thanks.

'67 C/10, '04 Tahoe

-------------------------------------
briarpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 08:05 PM   #2
MrC1
Dork For Days

Smile I'd like to add to your question...

What stereos are available that fit into the factory dash mounting? I'm in the same situation, but would like to be able to use the dash unit rather than have to dig in the glove box.
MrC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 06:25 AM   #3
briarpatch

I too, would prefer using the original dash mount, but the only ones that I know fit are those sold by ChevyDuty, LMC and other 67-72 parts dealers. I bought one of the USA-1 radio/tape players a while back for $160 + shipping and was not impressed by the quality for the price. Seemed like a lot of money just to have a bowtie on the face plate...

'67 C/10, '04 Tahoe

-------------------------------------
briarpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 09:30 AM   #4
shifty
Questionable

There are several companies that still sell shaft-style radios, but they're the bottom feeders.

One particular company is "Rampage". They sell stuff at most auto parts stores like Pep Boys and whatnot.

WalMart sells the VR3 mp3 player that plugs into the cigarette lighter and broadcasts your mp3's to the stereo, so if you want to stay factory but want custom tunes, that's one way to go.

CD Changers are pretty much out unless you want to use FM Modulator to broadcast to your stereo.

I've seen people mount under the dash (below A/C gauges) and also seen people relocate the A/C controls to the stereo opening, then put a full sized stereo in the A/C slot.

Lots of options out there, you just gotta be creative

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote