The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2005, 12:02 AM   #1
Jenn

Question What is this noise from..

Its coming from the front end somewhere when you go up hills and/or press the throttle down it goes sqweeeeeeeeek or schreachhhhhhh it sounds bad and is getting worse? any clues was just a little sqweek but now its way longer,, could the wet weather have anything to do with this? sounded like my chihuahua was stuck in the engine, like a small high pitched "yipe"..

1994 chevy 6.5 td 2500. 250,k

good truck, cracked heads.. motor getting rebuilt, should be running by monday.. finger xrossed...........
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 01:05 AM   #2
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Sounds like a belt to me. Check the belts when you rev up the engine. Other than that it could be a bad joint on the bushings going out but hard to say without there listening to it. If it does it while driving only and not in park it may not be a belt then.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 01:16 PM   #3
a28doc
'87 V20 4x4

sometimes the belts will give a little when under load esp if its wet out and they may need tightened up ir replaced but I agree totally with 79big10 its hard to say without hearing it hes right in it may be a joint esp a ball joint good luck and let us know what you find out
Doc
a28doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 03:19 PM   #4
AirMale

Belts need tightening or replacement. Could also be a small chipmunk under the accelerator pedal......
AirMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 05:34 PM   #5
Jenn

Today is alot dryer and hasnt made that noise only when you hit the gas and go up hills.. not while its idleing though.. it still does it but not as long. like in the rain yesterday....

how do you tighten a belt? ( sorry dumb question but i am of the female species..) I know how to take the engine apart but just trying to think wear youd adjust a belt? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?????

could it be the heater?

good truck, cracked heads.. motor getting rebuilt, should be running by monday.. finger xrossed...........
Old 09-30-2005, 05:40 PM   #6
Jenn

Cool

Oh yea i have another question about the 350 again, i took the dist off. now it will be out of time. correct, how do i get it so that its back in time? so that they line up proper ? do you have to turn it till you see the dist parts moving?? dont understand how it got out of time in the first place.. .. I see your on here 79big10 i think you know what i am talking about..thanks

Old 09-30-2005, 05:48 PM   #7
BudTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn
Today is alot dryer and hasnt made that noise only when you hit the gas and go up hills.. not while its idleing though.. it still does it but not as long. like in the rain yesterday....

how do you tighten a belt? ( sorry dumb question but i am of the female species..) I know how to take the engine apart but just trying to think wear youd adjust a belt? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?????

could it be the heater?
Adjust the alternator belt by loosening the top and bottom mounting bolts. The alternator will swing along the top mount, allowing you to loosen or tighten as necessary. I use a prybar or a short broomstick to act as a lever to tighten the alternator against the belt, allowing about 1/4" of play in the belt when modest thumb pressure is applied to the longest span. The A/C compressor is the adjustment point for the belt that runs to it and the power steering pump. Adjust it the same way, but there are 2 top bolts on that one.

They should have taught you that in engine take-apart school.

I doubt that it is the heater.

Bud
Old 09-30-2005, 05:50 PM   #8
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

On the belts it depends on whayt belt(s) are loose. Check how much play are in them by looking here http://www.ehow.com/how_109_check-belts.html Then you can see where the bolts are that hold in place the item(s) that are attached to the belt. As on the alternator you can see 2 bolts holding it on. One at the top and one at the bottom left. Loosen both to where you can move the alt. and get a prybar and force it between the alt. and something else to tighten up the belt. I usually use the cover bracket. Try not to use the water pump since it can break off or the bolts mounting it it. Once you have the alt. belt tight then screw back in the bolts.

On the power steering bolts you need to do the same thing but make sure not to stick it by the reservoir since it can and will crack Same situation as before loosen and pry then tighten.

On the distributor this site has great step by step http://73-87.com/7387garage/drivetrain/disremov.htm

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
Old 09-30-2005, 05:52 PM   #9
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudTX

I doubt that it is the heater.

Bud
I agree it's probably not the heater. If it was constant and coming from the engine bay back passenger side while engine running and not driving it could be then.

Old 09-30-2005, 06:27 PM   #10
Jenn

This is my engine take apart school... i am learning everything from u guys so teach me right the first time k....... quick learner.. no worries.. thanks for the info.. Jenn let u know how it works out..

Old 09-30-2005, 06:43 PM   #11
Jenn

oh crap.. i shoulda left the old dist on.. I never marked anything.. looks like that is going to be the hardest part on reinstalling this engine........

Old 09-30-2005, 08:28 PM   #12
Russell
Professional Grade

It isn't too tough

However, one peice of advice, when you are turning the engine by hand to line up the timing mark, don't use a breaker bar on the bolt in the center of the balancer. If you snap that off, you are in biiiig do-do

Try your best to turn it by hand by pulling all the spark plugs out, then turning the balancer without using tools, if you haven't got the strength, then use a breaker arm, but use it on one of the bolts that hold the V-belt pulley to the balancer. Its far easier to replace a balancer that has a stripped out bolt hole, or a broken bolt in it than it is to replace / repair a busted crank snout bolt.

Also, if you have a compression tester that screws into the spark plug hole, pull the gauge off, then route the opening to the front of the engine, that way, when you get to the compression stroke like you need to be on, you'll hear the air blowing out of the compression tester's hose.

Follow that tutorial on 73-87.com to the T, and you'll be just fine

Oh, and if you do stick the dizzy in backwards, don't worry about it. I have yet to install a dizzy in properly the first time, and I've done it a fair number of times, lol It won't hurt your engine, just make it backfire out of the carb Trust me, you'll notice right away when a fireball comes outta your carb, lol, have a fire extiguisher nearby incase someone catches on fire if that happens, most of the time it'll just go POOF, and vanish, but other times something flammable like that fabric on the bottom side of the hood might start up.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:50 PM   #13
Jenn

haha i already burnt a truck by back fire before I know whats its all about..I think that was my 84 chevy,SB,, was such a good truck.. no muffler and the passenger side door i had to tye shut,,, too funny..

i found out more on my diesel, the first mechanics that worked on it ,(long story) torched the manifolds and wrecked the seals and bolts and stuff, i would have had it back today but now there waiting on more parts.. more money. sheesh..if a mechanic F***'s up at his shop is he responsible for replacing those parts???

.whats the dizzy? better find that out..lol

Old 10-01-2005, 12:09 AM   #14
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

LOL Dizzy is short for Distributor also same thing is called HEI as well.

Old 10-01-2005, 11:12 AM   #15
Jenn

oh.. i am not up on the mech slang yet.. lol thanks..........J