The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2005, 04:13 PM   #1
biglou55

Question carb to fi or tpi tank question ???????????

actually it is probably the other way around. can i run a fi or tpi tank with the sender and pump in the tank for a carb motor by just using an adjustable gas regulator. or does return line problems rear it's ugly head. does fi or tpi require vented or non vented tanks. I know one of us on this board has probably done this with success. what is the difference between a fi and a tpi tank.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:54 PM   #2
Vaughn

Re: carb to fi or tpi tank question ???????????

You could do it with a tbi fuel pump, but not a tpi fuel pump. The tanks will accept either pump. The tbi pump produces up to 14 psi, the tpi produces 45 psi. All fuel injection systems through the late 90's already have fuel return lines. You need to use a fuel pressure regulator that has a return line, some of the cheaper ones don't have a return line.

As part of the emissions regulations, later fuel systems have a non-vented tank to prevent fuel vapors from getting out into the environment. The evap canister and the fuel return lines return air and fuel to the tank so that it doesn't need to be vented.
Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 07:27 PM   #3
bejay

Re: carb to fi or tpi tank question ???????????

you could use either one with the right regulator for a cheap regulator just get a threaded fuel shut off valve and hook up to the return line and T it into the supply line then install guage and adjust the amount of fuel return by turning the regulator in or out while the tpi pump is kinda overkill it still works the only reason I know this is I have used a ford on the frame pump to run cleaner through the injectors on about all gas models and even on carburated engines with the regulator closed it was capable of puting out about 100 psi but you could dial it down to 5 psi just by opening the regulator valve.
there is a small hose connection that would go to the evap canister on later model tanks if you dont block it off it can be used as a vent.
bejay is offline   Reply With Quote