The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2005, 05:26 PM   #1
BigBrown

backfiring, finding TDC

Hello- This is my first time working on a non-subaru, and I'm stuck in the middle of the tune up from he**. I have a '70 C10 with the 350. It was converted to HEI before I bought it. I put in new plugs (NGK's), rotor, cap, coil, wires. Now my truck won't start, it cranks, sporatically backfires and will on ocassion send some flames out the carb.

I tripple checked my firing order 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2, with #1 being bottom left, right? The rotor and cap only go on in one direction, so I can't screw that up.

So I thought I would check my timing, but it doesn't start, so I was going to try to find TDC manually, but I can't figure out how to turn the crankshaft. There is no central nut on it, and the three small bolts would rather come out than turn the pully. I thought about taking the pully off and seeing what's behind it, but I can't figure out how to get the belt off. I feel really stupid...there are only three pullys on it, waterpump, crank, and power steering. The wp and crank can't be moved, so it must be the ps, but I can't figure out how to do it.

So, either how do I take off my drive belt, or am I missing the easy answer?

Thanks!
BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 05:51 PM   #2
Guardrail
And Don't Call Me Shirley

Re: backfiring, finding TDC

I suspect the firing order got messed up along the way and is now beginning on the wrong cylinder. I thought your motor would have a crank snout bolt to use to turn the engine, but you can turn the engine without one.

You can remove all the spark plugs so the engine is much easier to turn. Put on a pair of gloves so you can get a good grip and use the alternator belt to turn the engine. If you are standing in front of the truck looking at the engine, you'll want to go clockwise.

Cylinder number one is on the drivers side front of the engine and number two is directly across from it on the passenger side, and so on. You will need cylinder number one at TDC on the compression stroke and I'm assuming you know what to look for to make sure you get it there. Once your there, pop the distributor cap off and mark where the rotor is pointing (it's now pointing to cylinder number one). Then go thru and check the firing order. I suspect you'll find the problem now. Let me know how it turns out....
1972 K10 Longbed (restoration begins June 2020)
Guardrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 05:59 PM   #3
project76

The previous owner had #1 on the cap different than you do now. Finding #1 at TDC on compression stroke is easier with 2 people. One can hold there finger over the spark plug hole, while the other cranks little by little till you feel the compression blowing your finger off the hole. That will get you pretty close to where #1 should be on the cap. Sticking a screw driver in the spark plug hole, will determine how far up in the bore the piston is so you can get it damn near dead on, if you have to rotate it by hand the last few inches.

Last edited by project76; 12-27-2005 at 06:01 PM.
project76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 06:44 PM   #4
cduster

When I am alone I find tdc by twisting up some paper towel and putting it in the #1 plug hole. Then bump the starter untill it blows the paper towel out. Then turn by hand the rest of the way.

Dan

Most experience comes from bad judgment.
cduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 11:04 PM   #5
mjrmn
'67 K10 Work In Process

Good advice-especially the one with the paper towel- but don't forget to check the timing mark when the towel blows out to be sure the piston is on the compression stroke and not the exhaust stroke.
mjrmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 01:53 PM   #6
BigBrown

Thanks everyone. With an assistant and a longer breaker bar I figured it out...I did have the location for #1 wrong on my cap. Now she goes VROOOM better than ever.
BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote