The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2006, 03:07 PM   #1
ian villeza

Ospho and Por15

Looking for Rust solutions. I have brought my interior down to bare metal and
will be priming/sealing. What is the best products out there for rust control and prevention? I have been using Ospho on all my rust and bare metal. Anyone have better suggestions? Thinking about Por15.
ian villeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 03:56 PM   #2
Burt4x4

Re: Ospho and Por15

Don't know about that other stuff but I used Por-15. I think this stuff is great. It goes on like a stain..watery paint. then you can see it working on the rust as it bubbles were the heavy rust is..then it drys like ceramic coating.
Here is a pick of the inside of my hood painted with only Black Por-15:

I was realy surprised at the gloss finnish it gave me...and it is a solid very tuff paint.
I would use it again in a heartbeat
Old 03-21-2006, 12:09 AM   #3
ian villeza

Bought some por 15 today and will give it a try, The dealer I bought it from did his 68 camaro and 37 ford, Swears by the stuff. Burt4x4 did you brush or spray your hood? I was thinking about doing the entire body, Then top coating with color of my choice base coat clear coat.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:39 AM   #4
71jimmy

STOP! WAIT! DON'T DO ANYTHING UNTIL YOU READ ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS for the POR15, and then read them again.

Like Burt4x4 said, this is good stuff. I've only used a limited amount sofar, but it's pretty cool, even if you brush it on, it flows real well and only shows minimal brush marks. But it has very specific directions an how to apply, how to prepare the metal etc. AND, this is the big one, if I remember correctly POR15 does not recommend applying other types of paint over the rust preventer because they will not adhere properly. You must first use another POR15 product over your rust preventer to provide adhesion for other types of paint. I think that would be alot of work and pretty expensive if your going to do your entire Blazer body.

Just my .02

"If life was fair you'd be able to afford one of each and a garage large enough to house them all."
71jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:33 AM   #5
Huck

POR 15 works great under the vehicle especially if top coated with another POR15 product. If left exposed to ultraviolet light, it turns real dull and will not hold up as well.
I would tend to strip external exposed metal to bare, then clean real good, and then coat with a good epoxy primer like PPG. This will seal the metal against moisture. You can then put another coat of sanding primer for blocking prior to top coating and clear coating.
Another alternative is Eastwood rust preventor paint. It costs about the same but is safer then POR15 to use and can be top coated directly.
POR 15 CAN KILL YOU IF YOU INHALE THE FUMES EVEN IF USING ONE OF THEM EL CHEAPO FACE MASKS. DO NOT SPRAY IT WITHOUT A POSITIVE AIR FILTRATION SYSTEM FEEDING YOU! Brush with an inhale protector. That stuff will coat your lungs if not careful.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:50 AM   #6
Burt4x4

I just used a brush. It almost seams to 'self level' itself and I don't recall seeing any brush marks after it dries. I did my rad support frame, the inside hood, inside rocker boxes (used the silver for this as it has metal flakes in it for heavy rust). This stuff will not wash off your skin..it has to wear off..about 3weeks...hahahaha
Now the way I understand it is it works better on rusted steel...if the steel is clean and rust free you have to apply "Metal Ready" some kind of etching compound? I also thought you could paint right over it if you wanted...been a while sence I read their website...so I could be cornfuzed hahahaa
Good Luck
were gloves that you can throw away
Burt
Old 03-21-2006, 11:49 AM   #7
makovai

anybody have a link for this stuff, and a common place to buy it?
3/4 ton, cross steer, 4 wheel disc brakes
1996 Z71 w/ 35's
makovai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 02:13 AM   #8
ian villeza

Put the first coat on my interior, One quart came up just short of doing the entire interior.Got my quart for $35.00 dollars from a local distributor. If I had skipped the top of my rockers and doors and just did bed sides and floor I would have had more than enough in one quart. Very durable surface achieved I'm going to do a little spot putty here and there and give it a second coat.http://www.por15.com/ Very reasonable price for total rust protection IMO.