The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2006, 11:53 PM   #1
CSJLT1

Anyone done an LT1 swap in a 69'?

Im in the process of trying to drop an LT1 out of a 94 Z28 into my 69 C10.
I was thinking of going with a carb but decided against it and so now Im going to stick with the LT1 intake it has. Plus it saves me money in the long run, better gas mileage and more power.

I just wondering if anyone else here has done the same and dropped an LT1 in their 69? And what specifically needs to be transfered over from the camaro to the 69 in order for everything to work properly?

And please try to be as specific as possible. Like if you can tell me where it all is b/c I have never messed with a camaro until now, so Im having a little trouble identifying everything and finding it.

Last edited by CSJLT1; 04-06-2006 at 11:55 PM.
CSJLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 12:43 AM   #2
shifty
Questionable

Re: Anyone done an LT1 swap in a 69'?

look at my signature for LS1 swap info. should be about the same. the first or second page of that thread at ls1tech has info for LT1 installs on one of the threads.

FuelCellGuy has done this in his truck he sold. jaydawg has also done it if i recall corectly.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:34 AM   #3
qksilver

suposed to be easier than what you did shifty. Yours is a work of art..............
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:55 AM   #4
Rokcrln

yep but not done yet! Sorry about any details but it has been sitting between the fenders now for about 7yrs and I forget real easy. Anyoneknow what the circled sensor is? My harness does not have a conection for it!
Kevin
Attached Images

Last edited by Rokcrln; 04-07-2006 at 07:57 AM.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:18 AM   #5
shifty
Questionable

Rockcrln, the fact that the circled sensor is tied to your throttle body with a tube would suggest to me it's either some kind of manifold pressure sensor, a vacuum sensor or something of the like. Best thing I can tell you (which isn't much help) is to get a factory service manual or look at a Haynes manual, then look into how to remove the part it's bracketed to - it will tell you which plugs to disconnect and yours will be listed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qksilver
suposed to be easier than what you did shifty. Yours is a work of art..............
Mine was actually very easy, I'm just dramatic about it and don't have a lot of time and money to work on it at this point. All that's left to be done is fuel delivery and clutch. The other stuff is trivial

If I would have gone Automatic with mine, I'd have been done two months ago, but noooooo, had to have a 6spd

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:33 AM   #6
Hart_Rod

Rock,

What year is your engine? Does it have the combination MAF/MAP?

Rob
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:15 PM   #7
jay-dawg
chevelito

Kevin,

It's the EVAP canister purge solenoid. Part of the emissions controls. It releases fuel evaporation back into the intake from the evap canister. You can get it deleted on computer re-program.

CSJ...There are a handful of people who have installed LT1s & LS1s in our series of trucks. Here's some problems that I have encountered.

1) A/C compressor hits the frame rail. options: remove a/c compressor & install an a/c delete, notch the framerail, use corvette accessory brackets, or use an aftermarket accessory bracket (ie street & performance, march, etc).

2) Take all of the wiring, even if you aren't going to use it. Underhood fuse box is important. Fuel pump relay is under the driver carpet, under the foot rest (this one I just learned). Options: Stand alone wiring from painless or another source. Have your original harness reworked by someone. Re-work your own harness for options you don't want (EVAP, AIR, EGR).

3) Emissions. Check with your state laws to see what your options are on the emissions equipment. My state doesn't have smog check or visual check, so I'm in the clear.

4) Fuel delivery. You will need a high flow fuel pump rated for fuel injection. Options: use the in tank fuel pump from the camaro. use an aftermarket in tank fuel pump. use an aftermarket inline fuel pump. If you plan to relocate your gas tank to under the bed, you can get your tank ordered with a fuel pump. You will need a feed line & a return line.

5) E-fans. You can use the camaro ones. I haven't installed mine yet, but I'll just bend some steel tabs or something. You can alwasy go with those kits where you can install through the radiator.

6) Gauges. you can use the stock gauge and figure out how to mount it or you can go with aftermarket gauges. Your speedo will need to be electronic. I believe a company sells a conversion from stock to electronic which installs in the trans tail. Tach wire comes off of the computer. All other gauges can be installed.

7) Auto tranny fits fine. I don't know how bad the 6 speed install is.

8) Engine mounts. you can remove the lt1 engine mount and install directly to the truck engine mounts.

I can't think of anything else. Chime in everybody if I missed anything. Here's the link to my questions.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad.php?t=52057

Good luck!

Jay

Aloha from Honolulu, HI
jay-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:30 PM   #8
CSJLT1

Thanks so much Jay, thats what Ive been looking for!

I dont plan on running the A/C, just the bare minimum of what I need.
At this point Im wondering if I even have the money to accomplish this.
My only other option is to get away from the computer and go with a carb.
But Id really like to keep the LT1 intake b/c of more power and better gas mileage.

Also, I saw something about the driveshaft. Will I have to get a new one?
And if someone doesnt mind telling, how much did you spend on the LT1 swap?
I got lucky and gave $250 for a wrecked Z28 with the LT1 still intact but the tranny needs new housings.
Also, I saw where someone said not to get the Opti wet.
Well, when I got the motor it was covered in glass shards and nearly impossible to handle without getting cut up or something so I took it out back and steam cleaned it with simple green. Good or bad?

What sucks is most of the stuff I need is broken when the wreck happened. The E-fans, wiring harness, coil, water pump, belt tensioner, alternator bracket, all kinds of connectors, and the fuse box under the hood.

So now Im wondering if it would just be cheaper to go ahead and buy an intake that accepts carburators and distributor. And then just buy a carburator, distributor, water pump, coil, belt tensioner, and E-fans.

Such a dilemma now....
Old 04-07-2006, 03:43 PM   #9
CSJLT1

Hey what about this?
This intake has the distributor and the same style intake as the stock one on the LT1

Think this one would work? Its the one on the left...
Old 04-07-2006, 04:06 PM   #10
shifty
Questionable

Only bad thing about S&P (catalog posted above) is they're expensive!

Old 04-07-2006, 04:08 PM   #11
CSJLT1

Yeah so I hear...and thats really bad at this point.

But as for the intake shown in the picture...would that intake work? Thats something Im wanting to go with and does it have a name by any chance? Maybe I can find one on ebay.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:38 PM   #12
jay-dawg
chevelito

if you are going to run a carb, here is what you are looking for:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Summitracing is your friend. Do a search for LT1 and anything for your engine will pop up.

Haven't gotten to the point of mocking up the driveshaft yet.

If there's that much damage to the engine accesories etc, I'd say get it rebuilt to make sure everything is in proper order and nothing is damaged on the block itself. Then when you have a good base, you can start putting things on it, such as the accessory brackets, wiring, etc etc. If the intake manifold is not damaged, then I'd say keep it. If it is, you might want to weigh your options between carb & finding another intake or even going the LT4 rebuild route which comes with the intake.

let's see some pics of your engine.

Jay

Aloha from Honolulu, HI
Old 04-09-2006, 02:45 PM   #13
Tim240Z

I haven't done the LT1 in a truck (mine has L31 from 99 Burb), but I did do a 1994 Z28 LT1 in a 1973 240Z. The wiring, although intimidating, comes down to about 6 wires that need power, either direct bat+, or switched +ve.
You can spend a few hundred bucks on a wiring harness, but don't waste your $$, save it for a new Opti-Spark .
You will need to get a high pressure fuel pump, and you can probably use the Z28 radiator to make hose selection easier. I used a 4cyl camaro radiator in the 240Z and it worked great. Using the z28 radiator will also allow you to more easily use the fans.
You will need to program out the VATS (Vehicle Anti Theft System) unless you plan to install the ignition/key also (there is a chip on the key).
Don't send you PCM out for programming, instead buy the software from www.TunerCat.com
I have the cable and software that I am not using anymore, and will sell it if you want it. You can download the software, and I will provide you the license key and definition file (specific to the type of engine). I also have the Z28 Factory Service Manual.

That's about it. It should be pretty easy since you have the whole car....
Tim

Sold: 71 Cheyenne 20
Installed a 99 5.7L L31/4L60E from Suburban 1500 (2005)
Tim240Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:00 PM   #14
CSJLT1

Well thats the thing tho...I dont have the whole car, the radiator and stuff is shot from the wreck. As far as I can tell nothing is wrong with the motor, except the oil pan is dented up some. Theres no leaks or anything.
Im having to go from paycheck to paycheck with this project right now cause I still have yet to get my money back from Direct Insurance from when I totaled my truck. One of their clients hit me and was her fault and they owe me $3,500. Im getting the truck for $1,000 so I got all that money left over to do whatever with.

Old 04-09-2006, 05:01 PM   #15
72armyswbtruck

WOW, now that looks pretty
Old 04-09-2006, 05:12 PM   #16
krue
Designated A-hole!

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 05:32 PM   #17
jay-dawg
chevelito

You already bought it so "let the fun begin!"

Start by extricating the engine and trans.
Carefully cut out the front fenders. If there are any wiring or lines, don't cut them until you know for sure you don't need them.

Save this part for sure. It's the fuse block.
Attached Images

Aloha from Honolulu, HI
Old 04-09-2006, 05:46 PM   #18
saxmo

the 94 Z28 used a non-vented optispark..and they are notorious for moisture problems. A good resource for the parts needed would be www.camaroz28.com
that site is dedicated to LT1 & LS1. Just be careful because seems to be a younger crowd on there..and they can be a bit tricky to deal with at times..unlike the kewl guys on here.
1997 Ford F150 4.2L 500k+ miles (trash hauler)
2011 Nissan Juke (wife's daily driver)
1943 Ford GPW WWII jeep (waiting its' turn)
saxmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 12:22 AM   #19
CSJLT1

Well......Ive already got the engine out and all the stuff is cut.
I was going to go with a carb anyways.......
Old 04-10-2006, 02:26 AM   #20
jay-dawg
chevelito

cool beans...can't wait to see it in the truck.

Jay

Aloha from Honolulu, HI
Old 04-10-2006, 11:11 AM   #21
shifty
Questionable

Poor impala!

Old 04-10-2006, 11:00 PM   #22
CSJLT1

Made some progress...

Got a guy looking into an intake for me....
And got a quadrajet carb now, it just needs to be rebuilt.
Also found some replacment floor pans.
All of this should be bought this Friday cause thats when I get paid.

Old 04-11-2006, 12:19 PM   #23
saxmo

Here's a link for you.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
1997 Ford F150 4.2L 500k+ miles (trash hauler)
2011 Nissan Juke (wife's daily driver)
1943 Ford GPW WWII jeep (waiting its' turn)
saxmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:57 PM   #24
smokekiki
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSJLT1
Yeah so I hear...and thats really bad at this point.

But as for the intake shown in the picture...would that intake work? Thats something Im wanting to go with and does it have a name by any chance? Maybe I can find one on ebay.
The one on the left is a tuned port.The one on the right is a Ram Jet.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:19 PM   #25
CSJLT1

Wow awesome, thanks guys!

Got a rebuild kit today and although I didnt get to start on the rebuild I did get it cleaned up a whole lot. Also got the pistons and crank out of the block now so now its all ready to be vatted which will probably happen soon, maybe tommorrow if my funds are ok (prolly not)
If not this week then next week.
Also, I was wondering...when I took the pistons out. The bottom of them was burnt orange and I know its bad but what made it that way?