The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2006, 11:47 PM   #1
ml68nova

How can I make a wrecker bed more useful?

I have a 72 dually wrecker I bought last yr to tow my race car. The truck isnt on the road yet. I was going to get a wheel lift for it but have decided the cost per usage is too great and have desicied to go the tow dolly route.

I have access to a ford truck with a flat bed and a 70 c10 with a 8' bed.

My problem is how can I make this truck more useful for daily life? I like the wrecker bed, but with the winch ,boom (I`d like to adapt both to something) and shallow floor you can`t really use it for a pickup.

I can adapt the boom to the flat bed but I don`t really like the farm truck look and hate to see hitches adapted to them.

I was going to use the pickup bed but just found out my wheel base is too long. (133")

Is there something I can do to the wrecker bed to make it more useful? I though about making up sides but that might look ****ty and then there`s the shallow floor thing to deal with.

Any ideas?

Mark
ml68nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 06:27 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: How can I make a wrecker bed more useful?

Cut out the deck and fabricate a new lower one?You have the makings of a fifth-wheel hauler.I`m in the process of aquiring a`71 wrecker,It has a Reese hitch for towing trailers when not used as a wrecker.Maybe consider leaving it as is and getting a trailer or another pickup.Having a wrecker is wonderful thing.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote