The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2006, 09:41 PM   #1
project76

Extreme drop center crossmember troubles!!

After installing the crossmember my truck is now 3" higher in the rear. Due to moving the trailing arm mounting points up on the crossmember to correct pinion angle, my trailing arms now hit way sooner. I already have 2" blocks so i know im gonna have to hack on my truck some more. Would it be safer to hack on the frame, the trailing arms or both? Would i benifit from the tubular trailing arms out there? Im even considering scrapping the whole idea and doing a 4 link. Does anyone have any other ideas before i burn this thing?
Old 04-24-2006, 09:57 PM   #2
XXL
Señor Member

Re: Extreme drop center crossmember troubles!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by project76
After installing the crossmember my truck is now 3" higher in the rear. Due to moving the trailing arm mounting points up on the crossmember to correct pinion angle, my trailing arms now hit way sooner.
Cut the frame and leave the trailing arms alone. You can get the kind of reinforcement you need back into the frame, but you'd be mucking with the structural integrity of the trailing arms in a way that I don't think you could overcome easily.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:11 AM   #3
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

-Unbolt and flip-over the trailing arm mounts, putting them back in the stock position. Cut off and reuse or get the weld-on perches to correct pinion angle.

-The tubulars may give you some clearance, but not three inches. You would still have to notch the frame to clear them.

Maybe combine these two- i.e. flip the brackets/weld on perches, and notch frame/tubular arms. Might not have to notch for the arms in this case.

Sucks but that's about it without going four-link. Let us know how it goes.

-Chris

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy

Last edited by gringoloco; 04-25-2006 at 01:16 AM.
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:13 PM   #4
fastbagged68

A couple different things you could do.
1. You can cut the perchs off of your rearend and move them in about an 1inch. There is enough movement in the front bushings to do this.
2. Use the factory mounts on the crossmember, and move the crossmember to center wheel in wheelwell. When you lay these trucks out the wheel gets tucked into the front of the wheel well.
3. Go with tubular arms. The ones from CCP will gain some clearance.
4. Go with a 3 inch block. I usually run a 3" block if I am laying it out.
5. Or go with a 4 link and solve all problems. I wish I did a 4 link @ times. Would have saved me alot of time and a smaller notch.
My next truck is going with a 4 link!!!!
fastbagged68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:14 PM   #5
XXL
Señor Member

Quote:
Does anyone have any other ideas before i burn this thing?
You know... you could make me a smokin' deal on the crossmember, and give me a few days to swap it out and send you back my stock unit
Old 04-25-2006, 07:00 PM   #6
see ten
WTB this ad

I don't have any interference problems with mine, but it was a mutha to get it in.

see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:20 PM   #7
XXL
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by see ten
I don't have any interference problems with mine, but it was a mutha to get it in.
Problem on OP's truck is that he's VERY low, and so the interference is with the trailing arm hitting the frame itself. And this is exascerbated by the raised pivot point of the new xmember.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:29 PM   #8
project76

for some reason my trailing arm mounts are welded to the crossmember. When i ordered the crossmember they were bolted in the picture, but mine were welded when i got it here. I tried to contact CPP but i havent received a responce yet. Here is a few shots of my issue.
Attached Images

Last edited by project76; 04-25-2006 at 07:29 PM.
project76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:21 PM   #9
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

hmm, in that last pic it looks like if you route the exhaust through the crossmember you might still have some issues clearing that also.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:56 PM   #10
project76

Yeah thats another issue im gonna have to deal with. I finally had a chance to talk with CPP but now i have to call and talk with someone else in the morning. Hopefully i am able to exchange mine for the style that i paid for.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:05 PM   #11
XXL
Señor Member

Quote:
Hopefully i am able to exchange mine for the style that i paid for.
Keep us posted. Bolted is what I'd be after as well. When you lower these things a long way, the rear wheel centerline gets pulled forward so it's no longer centered in the wheel opening. With the bolt-on hangars, you can space them out to move the wheel centerline back where it belongs.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:06 AM   #12
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXL
Keep us posted. Bolted is what I'd be after as well. When you lower these things a long way, the rear wheel centerline gets pulled forward so it's no longer centered in the wheel opening. With the bolt-on hangars, you can space them out to move the wheel centerline back where it belongs.
You could bolt the entire c-member in a little further back too (but that won't help the OP's issue).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 04-26-2006 at 12:06 AM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:47 PM   #13
project76

After talking with Tech support at CPP i guess im SOL. They do not make the bolt on perch cross members anymore. That was a first run only. I have no idea why they have it pictured this way on the web site. If i had known this, i would have went elsewhere. So i can either send it back and pay for shipping and a restocking fee or try some mods brought up by you guys. Im alittle mad so im gonna take a break for a few days and calm down. Maybe ill end up with a 4 link after all
Old 04-26-2006, 07:38 PM   #14
XXL
Señor Member

Quote:
After talking with Tech support at CPP i guess im SOL. They do not make the bolt on perch cross members anymore. That was a first run only. I have no idea why they have it pictured this way on the web site. If i had known this, i would have went elsewhere. So i can either send it back and pay for shipping and a restocking fee or try some mods brought up by you guys. Im alittle mad so im gonna take a break for a few days and calm down. Maybe ill end up with a 4 link after all
Did you pay with cc? If yes, get them involved. Tell them the product is not as advertised and your efforts to get resolution have been unsuccessful. Then CPP can suck eggs. Oh, and I've captured a PDF of the web site in case you need it to show what you thought you were buying (on the off chance they change the pic).
Old 04-26-2006, 09:47 PM   #15
project76

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXL
Did you pay with cc? If yes, get them involved. Tell them the product is not as advertised and your efforts to get resolution have been unsuccessful. Then CPP can suck eggs. Oh, and I've captured a PDF of the web site in case you need it to show what you thought you were buying (on the off chance they change the pic).
I did pay with a credit card, thanks for bringing that up. I will call the bank and see where i can go from here. You have been a huge help and i cant thank you enough.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:56 AM   #16
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

I think ECE's is still bolt together. I'd be sure and ask first though...

-Chris

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
Old 04-27-2006, 05:01 PM   #17
see ten
WTB this ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco
I think ECE's is still bolt together. I'd be sure and ask first though...

-Chris
Yep, mine is bolted together.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:26 PM   #18
copper71

That's because CPP used a pic of Early Classic's Crossmember. I purchased mine from ECE. It works great. ECE developed the part and obviously did the research!
copper71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 01:39 AM   #19
70 CST 4X4
Have A Nice Day!

I helped my buddy put one we picked up from Early Classic in his 69(his truck is pretty low) and we had no problems. Nice fit and they were great guys to deal with. They were quick to answer all the questions we had. Their mounts are bolted in and we had no clearance issues.

70 CST 4X4
Front & Rear Disc Brakes
Front & Rear Posi 3.73 Gears
30 Gallon Stainless Fuel Tank
SOLD 01/18 !!!!!
2007 2500 HD Classic Crew Cab LT2 4X4 Duramax LBZ

Last edited by 70 CST 4X4; 04-28-2006 at 01:51 AM.
70 CST 4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:09 AM   #20
shifty
Questionable

Got some related no-brainer questions here:

When dropping greater than 5/7 using the stock trailing arms, regardless of whether you're using either ECE or CPP crossmember, your pinion angle is going to be shot, and you're going to need to cut off and re-weld the perches, right? I was under the impression that the lifted angle of the trailing arm mounts for the "extreme drop" crossmembers actually corrected the pinion angle to some degree.

Also, a question for see ten - you know, I see under your extreme drop crossmember you have a support bracket under the framerail beneath the bottom two bolts. Did that come with your crossmember? I saw on the CPP unit install in CCT mag that they installed one on theirs in the same location. I'm just curious about whether it's required, and what the purpose is.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 02-29-2008 at 09:10 AM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:53 AM   #21
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
I was under the impression that the lifted angle of the trailing arm mounts for the "extreme drop" crossmembers actually corrected the pinion angle to some degree.
Yes, but not without sacrificing clearance between the trailing arms and frame where they pass under. That is what caused project76 so much trouble.
Quote:
Also, a question for see ten - you know, I see under your extreme drop crossmember you have a support bracket under the framerail beneath the bottom two bolts. Did that come with your crossmember? I saw on the CPP unit install in CCT mag that they installed one on theirs in the same location. I'm just curious about whether it's required, and what the purpose is.
That is a stock reinforcement plate. Your frame may have them in place from the factory. I have seen them both ways...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 02-29-2008, 10:04 AM   #22
SCOTI

Quote:
When dropping greater than 5/7 using the stock trailing arms, regardless of whether you're using either ECE or CPP crossmember, your pinion angle is going to be shot,
Define "shot"?

My 68 was @ least a 7" drop in the back w/bags + blocks. I used the stock OE trailing arms & crossmember. This set-up used 1-set of u-joints that were swapped in when the suspension was done @ the time of purchase (they're still in service).

No vibrations or issues otherwise in 5+ years of service.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Last edited by SCOTI; 02-29-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:59 AM   #23
shifty
Questionable

"shot" - "out of whack" - "in need of correction"

e.g., if i want to do this properly with no smacking the frame, no other issues, i'm going to be measuring for proper pinion angles, removing stock perches from my axle and welding them back on in a different place.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:07 AM   #24
SCOTI

Quote:

e.g., if i want to do this properly with no smacking the frame, no other issues, i'm going to be measuring for proper pinion angles, removing stock perches from my axle and welding them back on in a different place.
Like I posted, no problems @ all on mine (definitely no issues w/the trailing arms hitting the frame).

No need to cut the perches off either. They make pinion wedges for adjusting pinion angle on trailing arm suspensions.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 02-29-2008, 11:13 AM   #25
shifty
Questionable

Shoulda remembered that, I had to install 2º pinion shims on m '03 Sierra when I dropped it.

Cool, so I'll leave the perches in place and look at the geometry before getting gung-ho and hacking anything off first.

Last edited by shifty; 02-29-2008 at 11:13 AM.