The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-09-2006, 11:24 AM   #1
jrb71c20

Electrical: It shoulda been simple

Replaced the old turn signal swtich yesturday. it worked, just didnt cancel so I thought, what the hell. I did my homework reviewing threads too. How'd it go you ask?... #$% #$%& thang. The only modification I did was remove the little horn button and replace it with a small bolt as a PO did otherwise the horn stayed engaged(S10 type wheel).

Anyhow, I got the new switch in and the colume back together. Easy???...#$% #$%& thang. Neither the turn signal or hazards work and only work (staying solid, no blinking) if I step on the brake? plus, the switch wont cancel. Some of the wires were different colors but, I matched up what was the same and popped em in-in sequential order. Bad switch or did I do something wrong?

jrb71c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:36 AM   #2
matthufham

Re: Electrical: It shoulda been simple

the cancelling cam is that horn contact. maybe the new one doesn't have the cancelling bumps on it
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:29 PM   #3
jrb71c20

I'm takin the steering wheel off and messin with it some more today. matt...I'll put the horn contact back in and see what i get worked out. Any other ideas or thought about it???
Old 05-10-2006, 04:57 PM   #4
boundstaffpress
Jamie Hyneman is my twin

I'm interested in other's experience with this replacement. I've replaced the signal switch in a 71 chevelle and a 67 nova column, so I though it would be easy on this truck. I have just been too embarassed to tell everyone it didn't work as I had planned. I only get a cancel on the right signal, I here the left one click, but it doesn't cancel. I thought the whole experience was awful, and didn't want to tear everything apart again.

I bought my switch from Chevy Duty, and have the adapter to the old plug.

Anyone else had problems.

SOLD 1967 K10 Fleetside, 283, Front and Rear Posi SOLD

Color Wiring Diagrams Now in High Resolution
V8 and Cab and Cab and Chassis
boundstaffpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:38 PM   #5
jrb71c20

Well, i found one problem...there is no canceling cam on my colume... . I'll order one in the next day or two...i was checkin threads and came across this one http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad.php?t=79039 Longhorn Man did about adapting newer steering wheels. I more or less destroyed a perfectly good switch taking it out all cause it didn't cancel...

i called Jim Carter's about the new one I got and they'll fax me a diagram for installin cause i didn't get one. I don't know that it should matter cause they're all matched up but, what the hell...I'll see what happens
Old 05-15-2006, 04:13 PM   #6
jrb71c20

I didn't get the chance to get that wiring diagram but, I found one of wires popped right out. I went ahead and added a little solder to all of em and now I Have the signals working. My hazard still doesn't work though. If I engage it they light up solid when I hit the brake. When nothings turned on the right signal and parking lamp light up when I hit the brakes and all my lights are working???

As far as the cancel cam....i went to the junk yard and he wouldn't let me get it off one of our trucks. He wanted the colume intact for any possible sales, I guess I could see that. if I'd a ordered one a couple days ago like i said i was gonna, I'd probably have it already cause none of the local parts stores have em in stock. I'm gonna order one now and check the electrical section about the remander of issues with it. Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?
Old 05-15-2006, 04:36 PM   #7
13lazer
13lazers' blazers

be careful putting it all together, i paid a local steering column shop $100 to rebuild my tilt column and they pinched a wire and created a direct short. it took me an extra week to find their mistake. i double checked everything i had done twice before opening my column up. its cool watching your fuse panel light up when a bunch of fuses pop in the dark.

1970 2wd blazer
1972 1ton blazer 4x4 in progress
1966 mustang coupe (modified)
1985 c20 suburban tow rig
1996 462 ranger with a 150 efi merc. a former B.A.S.S. tournament boat
almost all exempt from california smog laws intentionally.
13lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:37 PM   #8
JBC

I am having the same problem you described above in my 71. I broke the shifting lever on my colum and had to replace the whole thing. The PO had done some rewiring because he had added a replacement wheel so I used the existing wiring in the replacement column. I did use the old signal switch and hazards from my old column because the auto shutoff worked with it. I have had this problem the whole time I have had the truck, which is 4 months with both columns. I think it might have something to do with the switch. The only other problem I have is my reverse lights to not light up. I have not had time to play with it much because there is a short some where that kills the battery so I have to jump my battery everytime I want to go some where in it or test it. I keep unhooking it but I think it has been drained to much. The good thing is it is new and still under warranty so next time I get some free time I can get it replaced and start to play with it again.

If you get a hold of the assembly manual I would be intrested in getting a look at it. I had to unplug the horn because I could not figure out how the cancel cam worked and my horn stayed on. I would like to have it hooked up. PM me if you can get a digatal copy made of that manual.

Last edited by JBC; 05-15-2006 at 04:40 PM.
JBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:53 PM   #9
70STOVEBOLT

I had the problem of the horn staying on all the time a while back. It started out only honking when I turned left, but then a couple days later started to stay on all the time. I figured out it was just that the steering wheel cracks had gotten so bad, the contact plate was touching the steel hub of the wheel. I replaced the steering wheel with one from a 67 and I like it better than the original one (70 style).

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks
Sniper EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23 lowered 2" front & rear
70STOVEBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:06 PM   #10
jrb71c20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBC
I am having the same problem you described above in my 71. I broke the shifting lever on my colum and had to replace the whole thing. The PO had done some rewiring because he had added a replacement wheel so I used the existing wiring in the replacement column. I did use the old signal switch and hazards from my old column because the auto shutoff worked with it. I have had this problem the whole time I have had the truck, which is 4 months with both columns. I think it might have something to do with the switch. The only other problem I have is my reverse lights to not light up. I have not had time to play with it much because there is a short some where that kills the battery so I have to jump my battery everytime I want to go some where in it or test it. I keep unhooking it but I think it has been drained to much. The good thing is it is new and still under warranty so next time I get some free time I can get it replaced and start to play with it again.

If you get a hold of the assembly manual I would be intrested in getting a look at it. I had to unplug the horn because I could not figure out how the cancel cam worked and my horn stayed on. I would like to have it hooked up. PM me if you can get a digatal copy made of that manual.

JBC, I've been using a wiring diagram put up by Boundstaffpress...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=185856 and it's been extremly usefull. I wish I had some build manuals, eventually I hope to get some. I'm gonna check the wiring down the colume to make sure I didnt pinch any of the new wires and start looking for shorts. my backup lights dont work either, that'll be next. i've seen a thread on here about troubleshooting those that was a good reference
Old 05-16-2006, 03:37 PM   #11
Steelawork'n
Just hang'n around

One thing I did with mine is wrap the wires coming up throught the column with teflon tape. That helps prevent casing abrasions and shorts.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:13 PM   #12
jrb71c20

I let the issue go for a bit and finally messed with it yesturday. I started backtracking from the taillights and the parking light that was lighting up when braking...ended up taking the steering wheel back off and more or less took the turn signal switch out and back in and now the rigth parking light doesnt light up anymore when braking.....gotta love it....hazzards stiill only come on when braking....recon I'll just get another new switch when i get the chance

If it don't have round headlights and a carb, I don't trust it!
Old 07-18-2006, 11:35 PM   #13
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Your hazzards... it sounds like your flasher is missing/dead.
Look in the fusebox, there should be 2 round metal can lookin things plugged into the box. Swap them one for the other, if the 4 ways now work, but not the turn signals,then you need a new flasher.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 12:06 AM   #14
jrb71c20

Thank you sir, I'll check that out

If it don't have round headlights and a carb, I don't trust it!