The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2006, 08:35 PM   #1
torquemonkey

Bench Seat swaps in a '64

I have been reading many of the links about past swaps of '95-99 Tahoe/Burb seats into '67-72 cabs. Has anyone done them in a '64-66? I haven't read up on cab size differences to see if the swap would work without major issues. I'm sure that there will be some fabrication of brackets and additional floor supports.

Thx.

torquemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:56 PM   #2
mbgmike

Re: Bench Seat swaps in a '64

No problem at all Your title says bench seat? never saw a bench seat in one.
easy to put in buckets.
Mike
ps no fabrication or major issues. buy em put them in. its easy

Last edited by mbgmike; 05-31-2006 at 11:01 PM.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:51 PM   #3
torquemonkey

Cool,
I like the idea of the second row seats for added storage (60/40). A bucket seat swap would be nice touch in itself. Now to find a donor!
Thank you mbgmike for the info.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:49 PM   #4
Vaughn

A bunch of observations from various people on another forum:

Here is how it is laid out.

------------- <- this is between totally different posts on another variation of the seat swap question

-- <- this is between posts that are similiar or where taken from the same thread. Such as a question and answer...

All of these tips were found here in chevytalk 60-66 trucks forum, questions and answers from the many, many posters, credit given for question and answer.

Sometimes I took different, yet similiar answers from the same people from as many as 3 or 5 different posts and put them together.

Anyway, it's long and rough, but maybe it'll help some folks...

-W

-----------begin-----------------

My 92 Silverado bench fit fine witih the tank still in.

It was almost touching but I drove it before the tank removal without wishing I could move it back anymore.

Barn - chevytalk

-------------

I have a 60/40 early 90's in mine and it's very comfortable. I used the seats' mounting brackets and only needed some new

mounting holes.

dvalentine - chevytalk

-------------

i just bought a set from a 01 chevy a couple weeks ago for my 60 havnt mounted them down yet.yes the center section needs

mods to the mount brakets.they do put you a little closer to the dash.a smaller steering wheel will help.they are perfect for

my size at 5'10".im also in the process of removing the in cab tank,that will also help on mounting the center section.

have a set of 01 seats in my 60,at 5'10" its great with stock diameter steering wheel.guys a little over 6' may be a little

cramped. looks very nice,but need mods to the floor mounts for the center section that i havent gotten too yet

57wagon - chevytalk

-------------

"what year full size 90's chevy trucks have the integrated seat belts? - Woogeroo"

'99s to current '05s have them

61StepSide - chevytalk

-------------

I have a 60/40 out of a '96 GMC. It doesn't have the intergrated seat belts but it does have a hole with a plastic bezel for

the middle seat belt.

chevytrucknut - chevy talk

-------------

I bought seats made by Steel Horse for '88 to whatever and they fit perfectly in my '66. I had to cut a piece of the mounting

bracket off and drill holes in the floor of the cab to fit. The width is perfect

persh - chevytalk

-------------

hey guys what trucks/vans/cars make good donors for a nice custom look 60/40 or 40/20/40 for a 1966 truck thanks

ZZ430trk

-------------

90's Dodge truck seats, 1994 and up that is.

Chevy1966pu

-------------

I saw a 66 at a car show that had leather buckets from a 96 z71 that look really hot. They even used the center console.

Krzcwby

-------------

I put 89 F--d Lariot bench seat in mine.It has a nice pull down arm rest built in.Mine is red to match the interior.The seat

is soft and comfy.

chevytrucknut61

--

hey trucknut, how did the bolt holes line up for that F**d seat?

jtruck

--

I had to build stands to bolt on the floor to mount it. Of course the hole didn't match but the front mount curves down like

the floor pan.

chevytrucknut61

-------------

I got a becnh out of the mid 70's chevy half ton. It is wicked comfy and bolted right on in...

lowrolledc-10

-------------

bucket seats:

hey guys i have a quick question i have a 1966 truck with the original bench seat i want to upgrade the seat to a nice

cruisable bucket seats or captian's chairs, where to find them?; which cars/trucks/vans make good donors? what did you do to

mount them? any tips will help thanx

ZZ430trk

--

I found a set of buckets out of a 2000 Chevy pickup. I was lucky, the guy was going to put them in a '68 chevy p/u but ended

up wrecking it. I found mine on craigslist.org. They are very comfy, I had do to some fabricating to make them fit, and the

plus is they have the shoulder belts built in. Others have used split bench. If you do a search under "bench seat" or "bucket

seat" you will find a ton of info.

Knuckle_bustin'

-------------

I used seats out of a Chevy mini van in my panel. The height is great. And their very comfortable bucket style seats with

armrest.

krylonkid

-------------

I've been wondering what was the front seat in the suburbans? I know on the panels they were bucket seats, was the burbs the

same?

Chevyboy62

--

The burbs had a 60/40 bench. The passenger side was the 40. It flipped forward, seat bottom and all, to allow access to the

rear. AND, that seat was also in panel trucks.

dvalentine

-------------

I'd say more of a 70/30. Just ask my wife on a long trip!

gmc63burban

-------------

'94-'99 60/40 chevy seat

Do any of you have these, and how hard were they to adapt to your cab? Right now I still have an inside gas tank, But I plan

on moving it. It might not be before I get the seats though. I have a friend with a '96 Z-71 who is giving me his seats.

SilverStreak

--

I have a '96 60/40 bench. It works fine with the tank. The hardest thing to mounting the seat is the 4 extra holes and making

a spacer for thebrackets to sit on. The floor hump is higher on the newer trucks so the brackets need spacer under them. I just stacked fender washers. Works great.

chevytrucknut

--

Mine is from a '92 Silverado. (Mounting sounds different than Nut's '96 though.)

Drilled two holes. Tank is still in the cab.

Barn

--

I just snagged a set of these on ebay. I had heard they would fit so just decided to get them. I have the buckets in my '99

Tahoe and they're so comfortable I wanted the same for the '64. I got the 60/40 bench with drivers side power. Not too bad.

swierker

-------------

About those 60/40 seats you guys are installing

Are they with the tank inside the cab or out. Right now my tank is still inside but I want a 60/40

slingblade

--

i got bucket/bench from a 68(i don't know if it's similar to what you want,) but i got the tank inside and its not too bad

1960stepside

--

I put a 40/60 split in from a '93 Chev pickup and left the original tank with no problems at all. Just needed a couple of

extra bolts for the other tracks. It has been the best update so far in my truxk. Just like they were made for the earlier

cabs.

GMDad

1965 Chev Pick-up 292 5 spd <- from signature line

--

if you'll look at where your seat hits the back of the cab,you'll see that the top of the tank is way lower.

zenish

-------------

Burb seats:

FYI, there is 2 mounting systems on the burb seats. One is fixed and locks into a hole in the floor. The other system is

movable (like my burb) and attatch to 2 tracks in the floor.

gmc63burban

-------------

The '88 and newer GM truck seats are a near bolt-in. Two holes line right up. '92 and newer have built-in headrests.

Chevy1966pu

-------------

I used a mid 70's chevy bench and it went in good....the only problem i found (beside drilling the two back holes) was that

is sat a little low for my 6-3" frame, so I sat it on two 2"x2" steel tubes.

I put in a 1977 blazer bench seat and got the upholster kit from LMC Truck. Recovering the seat was probably the single

easiest part of the restoration process.

chadman03

-------------

Here are some minivan seats I got cheap. They have storage drawers underneath. They should leave alot of room in the cab.

Shouldn't be too hard to install. Maybe some custom brackets and drilling nothing too hard. Maybe only some shims in the

front or back to get it level. They need upholstery but that should be inexpensive and I'll be able to select whatever color

or pattern that suits me.

tkdtkd

-------------

I installed a '92 Chev full size pickup cloth 40/60 split and it went in real easy and it makes one major difference in the

comfort unit of these trucks. Definetly recommend trying to find one.

I used the '92 tracks and drilled the other holes. I like the 60/40 split as I have a 5 spd in mine and the wife is a little

shorter in the legs when she is driving but no problem with the split seat. Gives it the new truck feeling when you are

driving it.

I put a '93 split 60/40 in my 1965 and it went right in with just drilling the extra couple holes for the extra tracks. Works

unbelievably well, especially with the floor shift. It has to be one of the easiest and best modifications for our truck.

GMdad

-------------

I am with GMDad on this one. I only know of the '88-'98 seats fitting easily. Two bolts line up, and only the other two need

drilling. I will get a seat from these years. Also, I think it is '92 and up with the headrest upgrade.

Chevy1966pu

-------------

The guy I bought my truck from said the seat (and the frame, I think) came out of an '83. All I know is it looks factory.

The frame rails on my seat are 5 1/2" from floor to bottom of the seat. The seat is 8" thick and there is 6 1/2" from the

seat to the bottom of my stock steering wheel.

66 Longbed Stepside

longbedder

-------------

what kind of brackets were used to install 94 model 60/40 seat in 1963 chev?

ironbutt_lcmc

--

I got a '64 with a '92 bench and didn't need to do anything but drill the two rear holes. Don't know if that helps ya or not!

Barn

-------------

Do these 88's and up seats just bold in the existing holes?

raven316

--

Front holes line up,rear must be drilled.

64fleetside

-------------

--- end ---
Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 04:36 PM   #5
torquemonkey

Thank you, Vaughn. This is just what I have been looking for.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:35 PM   #6
mbgmike

if you can chew gum you can put them in
Old 06-01-2006, 10:40 PM   #7
torquemonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgmike
if you can chew gum you can put them in

Thats good to know!

As long as I don't use gum to stick the seats down as opposed to drilling the floor, eh? J/K.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:52 PM   #8
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquemonkey
Thats good to know!

As long as I don't use gum to stick the seats down as opposed to drilling the floor, eh? J/K.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:38 PM   #9
Woogeroo

Talking Re: Bench Seat swaps in a '64

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquemonkey
Thats good to know!

unless it's that special instant epoxy james bond type chewing gum.

heh.

-W
Woogeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 11:51 PM   #10
torquemonkey

::voice over from Q::
Now pay attention double O seven. . . you have thirty seconds to remove the gum from your mouth before it becomes glued permantly shut. Not a bad idea
now that you mention it.

::007 voice::
Q, you have said more than a mouthful . . . {said smirkenly}

::Q::
Oh, grow up double O seven!

Last edited by torquemonkey; 06-03-2006 at 11:54 PM.