The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-06-2006, 05:53 PM   #1
kevncar

Off-Topic?? - Car Trailers

I don't know if this is off-topic, but I figured I'd get the most views in this group. Mods...please feel free to move if necessary.

I am looking into buying/building a car trailer. A buddy want's to go halves with me and share it. He wants to get together and build it. I thought I've heard you can buy one cheaper.

Just wanted to ask what kinds of things I should look for when shopping for one, or for parts for one. I've heard rumors that some don't have enough tie downs points, tube is better than channel, tilt-back vs dove tail. Any info would be greatly appreciated

72 Chevelle

67 C10...454/TH400
Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=193961
kevncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:06 PM   #2
71Dragtruck

Re: Off-Topic?? - Car Trailers

Yes usually you can buy one cheaper than making one, I know a welder that is building his own, has the supplies and now wishes he would have just bought because it would have been cheaper, and he has no time. H&H makes some really nice tilt trailers, check out thier web site. If you are going to be pulling a show truck, price out an enclosed trailer. I know people that have damaged their paint and windows with open trailers on the way to shows. I trailer my truck to the drag strip in an enclosed, I was looking at open ones when a buddy asked about going half on an enclosed, would never use a open now. Downfall of enclosed is the price.
Getz Oilfield Consulting
Hard Candy Customs
71Dragtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:35 PM   #3
dwaite72lnghrn

Depending on the state laws building might be out of the question. I went with a "BIG TEX" 70ch, 7000lb/16'/ 2 axles with brakes on both/ramps included. If I were going to do it over again I would go with a higher GVW like 9000lb and maybe 18'-20'. On mine if you load a 3/4 or 1 ton you are at the max GVW. I would also get a winch to load non-running vehicles. Mine is flat so when I load a small car I have to unhitch the trailer and jack the front all the way up to take the angle off the ramp-trailer. Beavertail/drop tail/dove tail depending on what you are loading might not help much as you now have 2 angles to get it over.
71 GMC k20 350/sm465
2009 Chevy hd3500 6.6 Victory Red crew cab dually
Dave & Jeanne
dwaite72lnghrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:51 PM   #4
kevncar

I definately want a winch on it, but it will be an upgrade. I think I'll suffer a couple times to help justify one. I don't want a trailer for takin cars to shows, so and enclosed isn't what I need, although they are nice. I want it for taking non-running cars/trucks home, or to body shops, or if my 96 chrysler breaks down...again...I can go get it with my 40 year old truck. And then for general use like home improvement, equipment rental, and haulin quads and stuff to the sand.

I was worried about loading. I have a 72 chevelle that I want to drop. But I hope to bag it so maybe I can get the clearance like that. Will a dove tail help with that?

Thanks for the feedback guys

72 Chevelle

67 C10...454/TH400
Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=193961
kevncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:02 PM   #5
Huck

If you look around you can probably find a used 16-18' flat bed that is 7,000 capable (you don't want the lightweight landscaping trailers). A key area is the width between the fenders or wheels as trucks especially 4x4 require 82" wide with a 102" max width. I sold one to board member Byrd for $1,000 that had a solid white oak floor. I upgraded to an aluminum 18' dove tail. It weighs about 1500 lbs empty and will handle an extended 4x4 truck with no problem. Bought it for $3,500. and I get 17+mpg towing empty--- it has torison axles, dual brakes, etc. etc.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:07 PM   #6
jamie72

and Hucks trailer tows great too!!

member #807

http://www.myspace.com/whitetailobsession
www.antlertalk.com
jamie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:29 PM   #7
ivancou

I had one built with dropped axles instead of the dovetail . Actually its the second one with dropped axles, dealer thought I was crazy but it is a dream to tow and is real easy to winch stuff onto . I also held out for the 102 width which took a little longer to get axles for ,but its nice to be able to open car door rather than to have to crawl out a window . Check your state regs on the 102 width though . Ivan
ivancou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:48 PM   #8
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

As it's already been said, be sure to measure the width 1st
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:58 PM   #9
71swb4x4

Trailer brakes are a must.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:14 PM   #10
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

If your talking about an open bumper pull, go with nothing less than 18'. If you want a tool box up front get a 21'. Anything shorter will be a pain to load a long bed truck on.

Make sure it's dove tail with slide out ramps to accommodate cars or trucks that are low. You will definitely want tandem axle with electric brakes on one axle. My personal preference is a Bulldog brand hitch.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:12 AM   #11
Joe67
67 is sold

Just a thought, splitting items like trailers, boats, etc usually does not work out will with friends.

Moved to General

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:40 AM   #12
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe67
Just a thought, splitting items like trailers, boats, etc usually does not work out will with friends.

Moved to General

It almost never works out. Your better off buying the trailer and letting him "Rent" it from you each time he takes it untill half of the purchase price is met or whatever agreement you want to have.

Who will it be registered and insured with????
I wouldn't even recommend it with a Family member

Check your local "Swapper" News there are usually good deals on used car trailers if you are willing to wait a few weeks or month or whatever.

Width is key as mentioned above.

Also check your local laws...some places only require you to have brakes on 1 axle and other require them on both. - Also check the width regulations.

If you are going to be hauling junk cars - I wouldn't suggest something with a wood floor as it gets chewed up pretty quickly.
I also wouldn't suggest a 'Full Steel Deck" trailer for junking - cause oils, grease, fluids, etc make it super slippery and dangerous ( I know from experience)

Make sure to see how many "Cross Braces" are under the trailer and how far apart they are spaced - some don't have very many and the trailer is very Flimbsy.

If you want something super nice...check out a company called "Friesen" - I think they are out of OHIO - but they make a super nice trailer and it is Powder Coated and Pinstriped
-'69 Chevy C30 Mason Dump

-'33Ford P/U 396ChevyPowered
arkracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:32 AM   #13
Joe67
67 is sold

Also, our car trailer is open down the middle 9between the rails the wheels roll on).
This comes in handy when strapping a vehicle down as well as any maintenance that may be necessary while the vehicle is on the trailer.

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:37 AM   #14
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

We have a 16' dual axle,and a 21' triple axle.
the 16' works alright,but doesn't like pickups,or tractors very well,puts a big load on the tongue/bumper of the truck.
The 21' is a much nicer rig.You can hardly tell there is a load on the trailer.It also has a catwalk material in the center to allow fluids to pass through,keeps the walking surface much safer.Also uses trailer house wheels and tires instead of truck wheels.This thing will haul a load.
We have to replace the wooden flor in the 16' every couple of years,sure doesn't last long if you really use it.It has been downgraded to a hay trailer for the most part now though.
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website

Last edited by Brainchild; 06-07-2006 at 10:38 AM.
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:01 PM   #15
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I purchased a dual axle (5200# capability), 18 foot trailer from a a local supplier. He goes down to Texas and picks them up at the manufaturer and saves transportation fees. I got an steel deck with the dove tail, as well as the rock shield on the front of the trailer. The original shield was about four feet tall and I could not see past it good enough when I was jockeying the trailer into a hole, so I shortened it down to 2.5 feet tall. I purchased a WARN winch and created a bolt down point on the trailer bed, so it can be mounted and removed (depending on what I am trying to haul). I haul all of the tie downs, cables, winch, winch battery, and accessories in an aluminum tongue mounted storage box.

The trailer also has four tie-down loops on the bed as well as the post pockets on the sides. This opens up a lot of avenues for the trailer's use. The trailer has electric brakes. The loading ramps are mounted in slides pockets underneath the bed.

I have had long bed trucks on this trailer and there was no problem hauling them. The rear wheels set right at the curve of the dovetail and the tie-downs keep them in tight.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:26 PM   #16
chevy_fatman
Where's my beer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainchild
We have a 16' dual axle,and a 21' triple axle.
the 16' works alright,but doesn't like pickups,or tractors very well,puts a big load on the tongue/bumper of the truck.
The 21' is a much nicer rig.You can hardly tell there is a load on the trailer.It also has a catwalk material in the center to allow fluids to pass through,keeps the walking surface much safer.Also uses trailer house wheels and tires instead of truck wheels.This thing will haul a load.
We have to replace the wooden flor in the 16' every couple of years,sure doesn't last long if you really use it.It has been downgraded to a hay trailer for the most part now though.

Got any pics of the triple axle one? my buddy and I will be building a trailer soon, we scored a free mobile home frame and still deciding if I want to keep the 3 axles and how long I want it (thinking maybe 25-30 ft. long) Thanks

How do you make the invisible, visible?.........You take it away.
chevy_fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:36 AM   #17
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

I might be able to get some pics tomorrow,if it's not full of hay.I'll see what I can do for ya.
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:11 PM   #18
chevy_fatman
Where's my beer?

I appretiate it, Thanks

How do you make the invisible, visible?.........You take it away.

Last edited by chevy_fatman; 06-08-2006 at 01:12 PM.
chevy_fatman is offline   Reply With Quote