The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2006, 01:43 PM   #1
ICUDOGG

Frame Comparrison..New to the Fullsizes

Hey I am new here....So here is the short story...

I am a Minitrucker with a bagged 96 S-10...shaved, painted,.....blah blah blah...

So now to the point....I got a 1971 Short bed c-10 I rescued from a field of certain death.....No motor or tranny......Front right fender is trashed, Bed is a little beat up, and the rockers are gone.....The deal was I pull it out and haul it away and it is mine for free!.....Well I took it!

Big problem with it is the frame is kink right behind the control arms....BAD!

But I am going to bag it, Body drop it, shave it....Basically chop it up so I thought no biggy!

In my search for a frame I found a 1981 C10 long bed with a 305 and an auto tranny, air conditioning......Body is rough..>But she only want $100...basically the same deal just haul it out of my yard........

So since I plan on building a new frame to stock floor the truck from the firewall back,......How similar are the fronts on these trucks?....Can I pretty easily match up the bodies? with a little fab work....i plan on doing the Z while I am at it......

That read kind of confusing so I want to take the 81 frame....and make it a stock flor frame that is bagged and put the 71 on it...since the 71 frame is trashed!

So what are your guys thoughts? For $100 go for it! and start torching it?

Thanks guys....if you want to see my current show truck it is at www.fokispg.com
The orange s-10 is mine!

Later
C

Last edited by ICUDOGG; 07-31-2006 at 01:46 PM.
ICUDOGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:34 AM   #2
ICUDOGG

Re: Frame Comparrison..New to the Fullsizes

no bobdy?

Damn!

Later
C
Old 08-01-2006, 10:23 AM   #3
PBFAB.COM

The frames are very similar, and the suspension in the 81 would be a better choice (IMO). The body mounts are going to be different, so it will be a little work to modify those. And of course longbed to short bed requires some cutting/welding. If you have patience, the tools, and the know-how, it shouldn't be the most difficult thing to accomplish. Just make sure you use the tape measure, a lot, and put the body mounts in the right spot!
I am pretty sure there are some guys on the board who have actually done this type of conversion... maybe they will chime in and give some better insight.
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:34 AM   #4
ICUDOGG

From the looks of them I figued they would be very similar like you said. I know that bag mounts are say 67-87 so I assumed the suspensions are the same...

I am ready to fab it if I have to...I really was hoping to find like a 90's short bed 350 and use it as an underside....have all the new age stuff...but for the price I think I will start with this!

Probly will make the frame from the front back...and new body mounts.....

I hope I am not disapointed in the 305! Maybe if I get the money later I can get something different....after all I have a lot of work to do before I get to the motor! Maybe another deal will come up!

thanks
C
Old 08-01-2006, 11:57 AM   #5
BigChevMan
My Thoughts Exactly!

I would take the front suspension from the newer truck and bolt it to the existing frame on the 71. Then just build a new frame from under the cab to the back half. You'll have basically all new frame from under the firewall to the back end. Search for a post by rockcrln. He has done some nice frame work on these trucks.

Is your S-10 still purple? I remember you from the st.com forums a long time back.
BigChevMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:06 PM   #6
ICUDOGG

nope my truck was never purple! Different guy.....LOL

It was black then tangerine....
Old 08-02-2006, 08:10 AM   #7
BigChevMan
My Thoughts Exactly!

Man...I could have sworn it was purple! Maybe I mistook the black for the purple. Anyway...There is a company that does frame rail forming. You could look in to having them mandrel bend you some frame rails if you don't want to fabricate. I can find the info for you. I believe their in PA.
BigChevMan is offline   Reply With Quote