The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2006, 06:10 PM   #1
gregbr
Senoir Member

Aftermarket A/C question

Is there a kit that does not require you to cut or modify the firewall? I saw at least 1 kit that has you remove the verticle metal between the 2 large holes because the new hoses will come thru there. I would like to keep the firewall intact so I can reinstall the original heater if desired in the future. Thanks.

70 GMC Restoration Pictures
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...00&ppuser=4424
gregbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:14 PM   #2
see ten
WTB this ad

Re: Aftermarket A/C question

Vintage Air!
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:59 PM   #3
C10-Driver
Chevy Truck Addict

I installed a Vintage Air system in my truck. It is the surefit system for a non-AC cab which works with all the factory controls. The kit was awesome and has everything you need inside and out.

The new hoses run through existing holes in the firewall and the kit includes "smooth-firewall" covers as you can see in the picture. The only mods I had to perform were cutting vent holes in the dash (templates included in the kit) and I had to drill a small hole in the firewall for the drain hose.

Good luck.
Attached Images

1970 Pontiac Lemans
C10-Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 02:39 AM   #4
BigMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by C10-Driver View Post
I installed a Vintage Air system in my truck. It is the surefit system for a non-AC cab which works with all the factory controls. The kit was awesome and has everything you need inside and out.

The new hoses run through existing holes in the firewall and the kit includes "smooth-firewall" covers as you can see in the picture. The only mods I had to perform were cutting vent holes in the dash (templates included in the kit) and I had to drill a small hole in the firewall for the drain hose.

Good luck.
How well is the A/C? Does it blow as cool as stock, better, worse? Is the fan as powerfull and have similar settings? If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay and how long did it take?

Mike
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:14 AM   #5
C10-Driver
Chevy Truck Addict

The system cost me $1650 Canadian, which is about $1500 US and took approximately 10 to 15 hours to install. I had some help on the wiring from somebody quite knowledgeable but I'm sure I could have figured it out myself. Everything hooks up to the factory harness and is quite well documented in the installation instructions. Once the system is installed, you will need to buy a belt and have the system charged but, other than that, everything is there.

I'm not sure if it is better or worse than a factory system but would guess it works just as well. I live in the Okanagan Valley where it is frequently above 90 degrees. My truck is black on black and it takes very little time to cool off after sitting in the sun all day. The fan has three setting (same as the factory controls) and blows lots of cold air but is a little noisy on high (not hard to put up with as long as the truck stays cool).

Hope this helps.
1970 Pontiac Lemans
Old 08-25-2006, 03:48 AM   #6
C10-Driver
Chevy Truck Addict

Just had a look at your project pics... Looks like your truck is going to turn out awesome. Just to let you know, I bought the non-AC kit because I have a non-AC cab but they do also make a kit for AC cabs and controls.

Also, I found another thread that has a lot more detail on the install (in an AC cab).

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad.php?t=61810

Let us know how you make out.
1970 Pontiac Lemans
Old 08-25-2006, 04:50 PM   #7
see ten
WTB this ad

I was thinking the Vintage Air surefit was closer to $1100??? Of course it has been more than a year since I purchased mine. They do have a kit that is for non air trucks that use factory air controls. This is what I have in my C/10 and I prefer it to the system in my K/10 which uses the factory non air controls. And yes I think it works pretty good.

Old 08-25-2006, 05:04 PM   #8
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Will the compressors with these kits mount in the factory location?
The pic above kinda looks like it, can you use your factory brackets?
Considering this option down the road just trying to get info now
Tow Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:47 PM   #9
see ten
WTB this ad

Craig, You probably want to call Vintage Air and talk to a tech. But is seems like Classic Trucks did an article a couple years ago where they installed a kit on a truck that had a GM serpentine setup. They got a kit that had lines premade on the box end (inside truck) and once they figured the lengths they had them crimped (built whatever ) for the compressor end. They didn't even use the compressor that normally comes with the kit. They used the one that was already part of the serpentine system they had sourced. I would assume there is a discount for not getting the compressor. Once again , you probably need to call and talk to a tech. There is a Vintage Air tech who is a member here, I think his ID is coolairguy . Anyhow, what are you doing eyeballin' A/C? I thought you were going to build a topless cruiser?
Old 08-25-2006, 06:03 PM   #10
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by see ten View Post
Anyhow, what are you doing eyeballin' A/C? I thought you were going to build a topless cruiser?
I am, but I still would like the air to work, and the stock stuff is a lil
large looking for a slammed, bagged, custom roadster don't ya think?
Tow Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 08:53 PM   #11
C10-Driver
Chevy Truck Addict

The kit I purchased included brackets to mount the compressor. They also include all the necessay spacers to mount to factory manifolds or headers. I will say it again, I really liked the kit and am sure you won't be disappointed.
1970 Pontiac Lemans
Old 08-26-2006, 12:50 AM   #12
gregbr
Senoir Member

Thanks for the info and the other link. Greg

70 GMC Restoration Pictures
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...00&ppuser=4424
gregbr is offline   Reply With Quote