The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2006, 12:12 AM   #1
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

Its here; I got another truck!

Well, I know y'all have ALLL (read: Slonaker and 84) have been waiting for tis arrival.

Well my GOOD uncle showed up while I was napping before work... "Let's go try again!!"

So the guy was there, we hooked it up, I pulled her right on out and down the road, no problems at all. I only popped him once, and that was in my yard

1984 GMC Siera Classic... blownup 6.2 Diesel, 12 bolt rearend, unknown transmission (i never got around to looking at the pan, I'm a slack), the options sticker is AWOL from the glovebox, some things are thus unknown. It has power windows/locks/steering, and maybe brakes (I have a shot of the M.C. so y'all can tell me what setup it is), looks to maybe be converted to R134 refrigerent (there's a pic for y'alls determination) tilt column, clock-in-cluster, dual tanks, longbed. He had the front suspension COMPLETELY redone before it died. New bushings, bearings, everything. My uncle said it rode like a Cadillac being towed

Well, I'll quit rambling about my helluva deal

$400.

Here's the goods:

Yeah she's a bit dirty

12 Bolt rearend... ratio TBD... either gonna jack it up and turn, or see if there's an options sticker still in the doorjam :-\

Ragged out interior, probably only saving the seat.

Did not know they put these emblems on the trucks...

Motor shot. Blown up 6.2L Diesel. no idea what/how/why blown up. But it won't crank.

That's the brake setup... is that a power setup of some sorts? I don't see the huge booster up there, but maybe I'm just that ignorant?

Gauge Cluster. Its seen better days, but the clock might be savabe.

Again, I did not know they tagged the diesels like this. You learn something every day.

I'm thinking of pulling Ol' Red around back and getting that "Older brother / Little Sister" shot.

I wish it wasn't dark so I could go take another gander. I dropped it off here, changed clothes, went and got the title and went to work 15 minutes late.

Some oddities I've never heard of: The battery has a built-in charger port, to be plugged straight into an extension cord. Also, the rear shocks are air shocks with air valves in the rear bumper.

Kinda surprised the RPO sticker was gone, maybe it just got peeled off and its under the dash.

So, what y'all think?

I'll be using the cab for Ol' Red, as well as the tilt column, power windows/locks, gonna roll the frontend out from underneath it and put it under Ol' Red, his frontend is pretty much gone, other odds and ends.

I know its dirty, ITS ON MY TO DO LIST

Cliff

EDIT: OH SNAP IT IS A 700R4!!! Look at the shift indicator!!!! SWEET!!!

This deal just gets better and better.

Also, what's that display at the top-center of the bezel?
2009 Kawasaki KLX-250S too many mods for this signature
1999 Honda Accord EX 4-cylinder, 17" Motegi Wheels 215/45/17 Sumitomo tires, Tein S-Tech lowering springs, KYB GR2 shocks, Acura TL 20mm rear swaybar, debadged, blackhoused headlights, Short-Ram Intake
Cardomain of the Accord

Last edited by cliffsta; 09-21-2006 at 01:20 AM.
cliffsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:15 AM   #2
layedoutnoma

Re: Its here; I got another truck!

your brakes look like a hydroboost setup.. didn't think that had them that early though.. o well loks like i learned something as well
Old 09-21-2006, 01:03 AM   #3
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Looks like your wait was worth it.
You got yourself a good parts vehicle, especially for the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by layedoutnoma View Post
your brakes look like a hydroboost setup.. didn't think that had them that early though...
Like layedoutnoma mentioned, the truck has a hydroboost setup. BTW, I believe they go back to some of the 70s diesel and 3/4 ton trucks/burbs. May want to consider using this setup in your cab conversion as well.

OT, layedoutnoma: Your buildup is radical...

Time to get busy, eh cliffsta...

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:57 AM   #4
jimfulco

I think it was my junker '84 that had the option sticker on a fenderwell.
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:03 AM   #5
blaserman

I had a 74 Mercury that had Hydrabost brake system on it.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:53 AM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

cliffsta- Man that is a solid truck. You got a great deal with enough spare parts to make your money back.

As the guys said, that has a hydra-boost brake system. The diesel motor does not create enough vacuum at idle to work a traditional power brake system. They use a hydraulic booster system that runs off your power steering pump. Those brakes will throw the change out of your pocket.

The lens in the upper middle of the cluster is probably for glow plugs. You have to let the glow plugs warm up before attempting to crank a diesel.

Tell you Uncle I want the next 400.00 truck he finds....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:04 AM   #7
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

Yeah I thought I remember reading the Hydra-Boost was a better power brake setup. I might just have to swap that over.

So is the printed circuits for this dash probably way off the printed circuits in my truck, then, if it has a glowplug slot and the clock in it? I REALLY wanna use the clock, I'm sure I could just swap the other guages to MY printed circuit if needbe. Probably gonna be my first project, taking out the gauges and cleaning them.
1999 Honda Accord EX 4-cylinder, 17" Motegi Wheels 215/45/17 Sumitomo tires, Tein S-Tech lowering springs, KYB GR2 shocks, Acura TL 20mm rear swaybar, debadged, blackhoused headlights, Short-Ram Intake
Cardomain of the Accord
Old 09-21-2006, 08:08 AM   #8
7387chevys

Hydro-boost is awesome
7387chevys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:31 AM   #9
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

there are two lights in that spot on the bezel; glow plugs and water in fuel. IIRC, those are seperate from the printed circuit on the back of the cluster. You should be able to use the cluster from your parts truck, but you may have to add a constant power source for the clock. If you do use it, don't forget to swap out your fuel gauge.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:42 AM   #10
ElGracho
Gentleman Jim Driver

The lights above the gage cluster are "Water in Fuel" and "Glow". They are not connected to the instrument cluster at all. The instrument cluster and wiring are compatible with other 81-86 trucks. The fuel gage says "Diesel" at the bottom and the oil pressure gage will be 0-80 psi instead of 0-60. You can swap with another one from a gas truck or use it with the diesel sender. If your gage cluster doesn't have the clock, you'll have to cut it to make it work.

The 12 bolt isn't factory for that truck, so the options sticker won't mean anything anyhow. The best way to figure the ratio is to pull the cover and read the stamped numbers on the ring gear. That's been explained here many times.

The 'charger port' for the battery is most likely the block heater. Look at where the cord goes, it should be to a freeze plug.

The transmission might not be a 700R4 despite the shift indicator. Remember, the truck is 23 years old and has already been modified (rear end). Look at the tranny pan to be sure.

Looks like a hell of a score and lots of good parts.
'85 Chev C10 Short Wide - Super plain Vortec 4.8 4L60E trans
also: '81 K30, '83 C30 Crew Dually, '84 M1028 CUCV, '85 M1009 CUCV, another '85 C10 SWB, '89 R3500 Flatbed
ElGracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:17 AM   #11
Russell
Professional Grade

Oh, and you will have trouble getting that hydroboost setup working with O'l Red. I've got a brand new hydrobooster sitting around in my shop doing nothing just becuase I cannot bolt the lines to my 80's power steering box.

From 73-80 they used a flared connection, but from 81+ they used an o-ring connection. I have heard that it is possible to pull the back half of the new and old steering boxes, and swap them around to get the o-ring style connection though

Other thing about the hydroboost is that you will need the power steering pump from the diesel. It has two return lines instead of just the normal 1. You'll need to rent a power steering pully puller, unbolt the canister from the diesel bracket, then bolt it to the gasoline bracket. Should be a direct bolt up swap though

If I had to guess about that 6.2, its probally got a bad IP, or a blown headgasket. Since it doesn't want to fire, its probally the IP. Unfortunately, injection pumps are not particularly cheap... But, if you can get that engine running, and it is in good shape, you can probally pay off the truck with the engine alone.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:52 AM   #12
boatpuller

nice find....my 79 is hydoboost and it's great.excellent pedal feel.in fact i've seen in a couple of custom truck mags where there advertising new hydroboost set ups for hotrodders,works great with cammed engines,where low vacum is a problem. good luck on the new one.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:21 PM   #13
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Congratulations on finally getting it home!

Slonaker
Old 09-21-2006, 01:25 PM   #14
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

Yes I just noticed the pressure readings on the oil gauge are different. That's work around-able, huh?

My cluster doesn't have a clock, but I really want it.

Yeah, I've seen several threads about finding ratios. I just don't have time today to do it until after work ~7.

The pan is indeed a 700R4, a complete square with no modulator, correct?

I really wanna use the Hydra-Boost. Couldn't I just swap the brakelines around, or get new brakelines to correspond?

I knew the P/S pumps were different, did NOT know they were that easily exchangable.

I've had it charging all morning and it still didn't have the guts to roll up the windows or barely run the lights. Nonetheless, you turn the key and nothing happens, it doesn't even turn over. So, no clue. I'd really like to get the diesel running for kicks and giggles.

Thanks for y'alls advice, please help me learn
Cardomain of the Accord
Old 09-21-2006, 03:46 PM   #15
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

You are correct on the trans. That is a 700R4. Those were used from 81-86 with a carb, so if it's good, you can still get e nice throttle cable/TV cable bracket from one of those years and use the trans in your truck, but the driveshaft will have to be shortened a bit.

I think you could use the hydroboost as well, by swapping out the steering box and pump with the one on the newer truck.

I would pull the cluster out of the parts truck and just have a look at it. That will probably answer a lot of questions for you.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:06 PM   #16
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

I have seen posts here that said that you would need a different torque converter to use the 700R4 on a gas powered truck. The explanation given was that diesels operate at lower RPM, and have a lot more torque. Something to look ino if you decide to use that transmission.

Slonaker
Old 09-21-2006, 05:16 PM   #17
84 400
Sb 400 club

Great to hear it man
glad to see it home and it looks better then i thought! The hydroboost will swap over with the cab but you will need the parts trucks ps pum and box. Also Is the battery just wasted? sounds like it if the windows are slow and all. Remeber to lubricat the windows when you install the doors so they go up and down smooth. As for the clock can you just change it into your cluster i have never done it but i would think it would work somthing like that.since you got a short bed the drive shaft won't fit but thats not that big a deal you can always just get it shortened or go to the bone yard. What you gonna run in old red for a motor? 350? I know it would not be worth it but a 6.2 in a stepper would be cool.
Good luck man and you did great for a 400 parts truck gettiing your money back should be no problem. Are you gonna swap the 12 bolt into old read? That would be cool
1980 Corvette L-48 4 speed
1992 Mustang GT built 5.0 5 speed

1985 C10 LWB Sold
1982 K10 SWB plow truck Parted out
1986 D30 M1028 fire brush truck Parted out
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 06:11 PM   #18
7387chevys

display is the glowplug light and mabe water in fuel light......I have a few ? for you I'll send you a pm
Old 09-21-2006, 09:34 PM   #19
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

Something for y'all to note/remember is I'm taking the whole cab off the brown truck and putting it on the red truck. Its just a matter of what things from my truck that I want to use in the brown cab.

My dilemna right now is that 84 has the wipers on the turn signal... and I've already blown 200 bucks on a 78-80 bezel, and a "no cruise" turn signal from that early era. I plan on using the tilt column since it is already in the brown cab.

Its gonna take some serious banging of my head to figure out how I'm gonna set that all up.

I do plan on swapping the 12 bolt into Ol' Red. The driveline setup I want in by next summer is a HO350, 700R4, 12bolt 3.73s with limited slip.

I do believe the battery is shot. It is indeed a charger as it says "1.5 amp battery charger" although its obviously not factory.

I have no idea about the torque converter ? slonaker. Something else to get beaten around in the next several months.
Cardomain of the Accord
Old 09-22-2006, 11:06 AM   #20
Russell
Professional Grade

Cliff, I'd just take the steering wheel off, then the lock plate and see if you can just swap signal stalks out... It may not be possible, but if it is, midaswell go for it! If not, 73-80 tilt columns are in relative abundance, last one I picked up was in mint condition with a nice 88+ steering wheel for 32 bucks at the wreckers. Of course, I put the steering wheel on, lol

With regards to your drivetrain plans, all sounds really good, except I'd consider putting in a 4.10 limited slip gear set. I've got the exact same drivetrain, less a 10 bolt, and 3.08s, and I find that my rpms are excessive low most of the time, and I actually get better mileage out of overdrive than in. I'm planning on swapping a TH350 back in later on, and putting the 700r4 away for future use.

Try switching batteries and see if that sucker will start, if you can get that diesel running, you just made 500 bucks easy

Finally, you'll have more problems than just the torque converter in that transmission. I know for sure that the govenor is different for diesel trannies, but there may also be other internal differences with regards to the valve body, servo etc to make it shift lower for a diesel engine... Best to call your local tranny shop and ask

Anyways, good luck with everything! We'll see if your truck makes it back onto the road within the next 4 years... I went to do the same thing about 3.5 years back, and she still isn't on the road, lol
Old 09-22-2006, 11:36 AM   #21
dswancutt

Cliff;

I think you are stuck with using the wipers on the turn signal switch. I think, but do not know for certain, is that GM repositioned the headlight switch when they moved to wipers to the column. The easy way to tell is to pull the current dash panel out of the 84 and test fit your 80. Anyway, you have a good score.

Doug
dswancutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:28 PM   #22
84 400
Sb 400 club

i was gonna say just run the wiper wires to the dash switch but now that i am thinking about it your using the 84 cab. Are there diffrent holes between the too? you could switch the internals in the colum.
good luck and get that motor turning
1980 Corvette L-48 4 speed
1992 Mustang GT built 5.0 5 speed

1985 C10 LWB Sold
1982 K10 SWB plow truck Parted out
1986 D30 M1028 fire brush truck Parted out
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 09:38 AM   #23
7387chevys

You may want to go to the diesel page to try to get the diesel running.They get absurdly good milage(1982 2wd rated at 31 highway)I myself am thinking about putting a N/A 6.5 into an 73-87 witha a nv4500 for a college vehicle
Old 09-23-2006, 05:50 PM   #24
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

Yes, it appears I am stuck with the wipers on the column. Which isn't a BAD thing other than now I have to sell the dash bezel I just blew my money on 3 months ago. Its still new in the wrapper, maybe I can get my money back on it Its not a big deal, really. Its more convenient to have them on the column anyway. Plus, they are indeed delay wipers The gauges are in excellent shape, other than the clock. I'll do some research and see if it is fixable.
Can I simply swap my "Unleaded Fuel Only" gas gauge in place of the "Disel Fuel Only" gauge? I like the gauges in the '84 more than those in the '80. I'm gonna use all the 84 dash, pretty much. The HVAC feels more solid. Gauges are nicer. I will be using the 78-80 dashpad I bought.
I charged the battery for two days. I turned the key, and I got a very quick clicking noise. Old man's opinion was it was the solenoid clicking on and off, maybe. Does that mean the solenoid is bad? The whole starter? I'll go post a topic in the diesel forum. I'll post a few more pics after the college game tonight, our first home game!
Cardomain of the Accord
Old 09-23-2006, 07:17 PM   #25
edman87
junk collector

Can it be? Is that a good dashpad I see? Why are you not going to use the 81 up dash?
'98 jeep tj
'52 willys cj3a
edman87 is offline   Reply With Quote