The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2006, 09:07 PM   #1
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

Unhappy Awwww, crap!

Today started out great- I went to one of the local Veterans day parade that the city has every year. Then, because it wasn't raining and the sun was out, I decided to try to fix my speedo gear on the main shaft in order to get a working speedometer again. I've got one of them 'new' Saginaw fully syncro 3 speeds.

Well, I thought I just needed to pull the tailhousing off and I'd be able to see the clip had fallen off- maybe even broke off and worst case scenario, I'd have to wait until Monday to get another one, put it all back together and be on my way. No problem. WRONG! Unfortunately, when I pulled the tailhousing off I found out the mainshaft wants to come with it. There's no way to pull just the tailhousing off the mainshaft. At this point I had tugged and pulled and I could hear things falling out of place and into the trans case. I very shortly realized the entire transmission was going to have to come out so I pulled it out of the truck.

Now I've got a transmission torn apart and I have no idea how it all goes back together again. I do have a diagram and some 'destructions' so hopefully I'll be able to figure it all out and be back up sometime next year. Yeah, I said next year. You see, I pulled this trans out in the back yard and today was our one day reprieve from the rainy season. It's going to rain and rain and rain for the next 5 months non-stop.

I guess I'm going to get really, really wet when I try to do it in the rain and cold.

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 09:11 PM   #2
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Re: Awwww, crap!

that sucks bigtime, hope it all works out for you
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 09:29 PM   #3
Rokcrln

For next time you pull a trany apart (like I did my first time) clean a spot off on the bench and put down alot of shop rags. Then start with the front or back of the trany and as you remove a part lay it on the shop rag in the order and place of how you removed it. Even go as far as making a pic that shows the part comming out and laying down on it's right hand side and so on. This way when you go to put it back together you can follow your own map that makes sence to you. I did this my first time with a NP435 as I pulled thetail shaft and heard the great sound of needle bearings falling to the bottom But following this method it was not as bad as I thought it would have been. Good luck with your task at hand.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 09:37 PM   #4
Swifster

I'll go one step further than that. Make sure you have the service manual and follow the instructions. That said, I hope it goes back together easy. Good luck.

1964 Studebaker Daytona
Swifster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:55 PM   #5
Rick Mills

Oh man... I thought things like that only happened to me.
I have a manual three speed with overdrive that did the same thing.
I pulled it a few years ago and its still sitting in my shop... in sections. I'm gonna take it to a shop and have them put it back together.
Wife - Original {A Real Classic!}
Rick Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:19 PM   #6
AesC10s
Chevy truck addict

Man that sux. You gonna go to an auto now?
AesC10s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:16 PM   #7
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

Aaron, no-although more relaxing, I'm gonna stick with the manual trans.

Guys, for several years I've been thinking about putting a T-5 in my truck but the cost for these was just too much for me to justify......until now. I've been keeping an eye out for one in the $100 price range and I just couldn't find one- everyone wants $300 on up depending on what it's out of. Well, last night I went on Craigslist and low and behold, someone had posted an S-10 engine and trans for $300. I called this morning and went over there. Turns out he was willing to take $100 for just the trans and so I bought it. It's not EXACTLY what I want due to the 1st gear ratio, but hopefully I can figure out how to hook it all up and be running again in a week or two...with overdrive.

All you naysayers keep quiet! These are proven to work behind an I6 with no ill effects. I'll have to figure out the clutch and possibly cut a 1/4" off the input shaft, but the biggest obstacle now is this darn Pacific NW rain!

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:48 PM   #8
shifty
Questionable

Wish you lived closer, I have a perfect replacement for that thing that I am never going to use and would give it to you on the cheap cheap.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:33 PM   #9
jimmydean

Brad, I feel your pain. I was trying to get my wires run for my air ride this weekend. I had to work in bursts during the 45 minute stages of no rain.

That being said, I am 75% done and I got soaked.

Good luck with the T5, that should be a nice combo.
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:54 PM   #10
shifty
Questionable

I had the same thing happened. Tried doing fuel lines - the last thing required for my truck to start, really - and was quite unsuccessful

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote