The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2006, 04:46 PM   #1
corn

Why wont it start?

I took a 350 out of my 69 & put the 396 back in & now it wont start. It wont click or anything. Good lights & everything else, Im sure Im just overlooking something easy. I have it converted to an internal reg alternator & have an HEI in it . The HEI was done when the old engine was in it so I dont think its that but not positive. I have the purple wire on the starter solonoid towards the engine(inside post) & everything looks to be hooked up. Any thing you can think of that I may be overlooking? I also thought maybe the brushes were stuck in the starter from it sitting but it doesnt click or anything. The headlites dim just a little when I turn the key to the crank position too. Im feeling really stupid here...
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:22 PM   #2
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

Re: Why wont it start?

It sounds like the problem is that the solenoid isn't engaging so the starter isn't spinning and therefore the truck doesn't start. Until it turns over, you don't need the distributer, or regulator.

The most likely thing is probably the neutral safety switch, or a bad ground to the engine.

After making sure it won't run you over in the event it suddenly spins and starts, think of the following.

Is there 12V at the firewall connector on the purple wire when the key is turned to start position?
Yes: Maybe bad solenoid.
No: Is the neutral safety switch working?
Is the battery well charged (and good)?
Are the battery terminals clean and are the cable clamps tight?
Is the battery grounded to the engine?

You could run a wire from the pos. side of the battery to the solenoid but be aware of what will happen if the engine turns over (while you're lying under it).

You could pull the starter (always fun), connect jumper cables to battery, + to large terminal on solenoid, - to starter case, then connect a smaller wire to the + and touch the small solenoid terminal. Brace the starter with your foot. The solenoid should engage, the drive gear flip out and the starter spin.

If the out of the truck test doesn't work, the starter/solenoid are at fault.
If the out of the truck test does work, the starter/solenoid may not be at fault.

These are just guesses, so...

Last edited by 72lb4x4; 12-27-2006 at 05:23 PM.
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:38 PM   #3
corn

I think you are on the right track. I got my volt meter out of the tool box & realized I wouldnt be able to test the solonoid & hit the key at the same time. I remembered that my dad made me a tool a long time ago (that everyone should have), its made out of an old ford door buzzer with an aligator clip on both ends that works like an audible test light. I clipped one side on the purple wire & one side to ground & hit the switch. Nothing. I guess Ill have to dig for the purple wire & see why its dead. Does that wire go directly to the switch or to the fuse box.

Ill post a pic of the buzzer tool later, in case someone here wants to make one...

Last edited by corn; 12-27-2006 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:50 PM   #4
corn

The purple wire is dead at the engine side of the fuse box & It had a floor shifter but I cant remember if it had a neutral switch hooked up then but I put a different floor shifter in it now & that might be it. Im going back out to investigate more now. I really want to hear this thing again...
Old 12-27-2006, 05:57 PM   #5
corn

Okay, Im a retard. I knew it was something simple. The column wasnt in park. DOH... This proves I cant live without this place & the internet. I cant even go out to the garage to fix things without being in the house on the computer at the same time?!?! Thanks for knocking my brain loose!...
Old 12-27-2006, 06:12 PM   #6
72armyswbtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornfed63 View Post
Okay, Im a retard. I knew it was something simple. The column wasnt in park. DOH... This proves I cant live without this place & the internet. I cant even go out to the garage to fix things without being in the house on the computer at the same time?!?! Thanks for knocking my brain loose!...

Holly Cow, glad to know that I am not the only person that has done this,
I practically rewired my truck from starter to ignition until I realized that It might just be the NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH, so I magically held the shifter as far to the left as I possibly could and VROOM VROOM went the truck
Old 12-27-2006, 10:00 PM   #7
corn

More good news! It fired right up! A couple small issues to work out but that was expected. That big blocks cam sure sounds sweet through the Hooker Comps & the Flowmasters...
Old 12-27-2006, 11:56 PM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Glad you got it going corn. Don't we do some dumb s**t sometimes....... : :

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:02 AM   #9
FarmTruk
In Memoriam...

Oh my gosh...that is funny.

I've done that before too, and thought it was the battery...don't kick yourself too hard.

If nuthin' else it is a great story, and I'm sure that others here (like me) have been there before. Glad it was somthin' simple.
FarmTruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:19 AM   #10
72armyswbtruck

:congrats:
Old 12-28-2006, 12:31 AM   #11
timcos
Chief Honcho In Charge

I have dumb with zeroes and had to buy my own shirt.

Tim

1992 1500 4x4 Shortbed
1984 Ford F250 Supercab Longbed 6.9L Diesel
1972 K10 Cheyenne Super Fleetside Short Bed - 350 - A/C
1971 VW SuperBeetle
1960 Wife
1984 Son
1986 Son
1989 Son

Previous Trucks
1967 C10 SWB (1980-1981)
1971 C10 LWB (1998-2004)