The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2007, 02:07 PM   #1
meaniam

better then a barn yard find

alright here is my 1971 swb w/fatory air. i call this better then a bard yard fine, as this truck was found when i was driving in Running Springs Ca, I had to have it when i saw it. here is the sory on it this truck i bought from the original owner family. the sun who is a retired firefighter inhierted this truck in 1992 from his father after he had passed. the son took it and immediatly dropped it of in el cajon to have it repainted. and cleaned up. 8 months later he picked it up and drove it up the mountains to home where he parked it in a heated garage where it sat tell the day i bought it. on occasion. the guy would fire it up and take it down the street and then repark it. i eneded up finding the build seat under the seat. made copies and sealed 1 copy and the original in plastic cover and then replaced it. after talking to the previous owner i knew he had all the paper work on the truck. so i asked for him to drop it off. he did and inside it i found the protecto plate. and paper work dating all the way back to date of original deliver in 1971 including the deliver inspetion sheet. this truck had never left the state of california.

so getting down to my inspection of the truck here is what i found. no previous body work done. the paint job was done using original color except i think it was also white suppose to be on there somewhere. me and 6 friends went thru this truck from roof to floor board bumper to bumper not a lick of rust anywhere and the floor still wear original paint and is super clean no oil no stains nothing. the trans a turbo 350 i belive to be number matching just cant prove yet . does have a small leak. the engine is a 350 agian i belive # matching. i just need to remove alt. or get maginifing glass to read the numbers looks all great runs well. it is a 4 barrel 350. i also belive carb is matching. the ca emmission sticker says it is a stock 350 4 brl. the a/c is all there the clutch on the condinser and maybe the whole thing needs rebuilt. it is all still un touched. the dash has never been cut and interior looks all new.

i bought this truck as an investment with the intention to turn around and sell.
im guessing but i belive 20 k is where it will sell. I am 100% confident it wont last at 15k. and i know i wont go below that. id rather hold it.

1. what do you think it is worth max and lowest

2. what do you think i should do with it?

3. what about lowering it 2-3 inchs?

4. arent those rims horrible, do you think they will look better if it was lowerd?

5. when i take this to pomona swap meet should i remove the bed shell?should i just remove it now

6. do you see any problems. some people have said it looked to be a cst custom. how can you tell? and what do i need.

this ? is the most difficult the seat is bright blue it has is the walrus or vial with scrollin stamped into it but it also has what appears to be a blue cloth kind of material. it doesnt appear to be pladed or hoodstooth. but agian it maybe to worn and i am not getting cover off enough to look at it? ill try to get a quick pictue. what is this and where can i find a reproduction seat covers?

thanks mike
meaniam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:24 PM   #2
meaniam

Re: better then a barn yard find

40 views and no help
Old 02-12-2007, 03:28 PM   #3
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

my guess is that people assume someone who has bought a truck with plans to sell it for $20k already knows what he's doing....
IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:34 PM   #4
jimmydean

That is a good looking truck. I can't help with the questions because I think of trucks as trucks, not investments. I have the same feelings toward sports/muscle cars. I buy them to drive them, and I drive them the way they were meant to be driven.

My truck will never be that clean because it's a truck. I cruise it, I work it, I fix it.

If you can get someone to pay $20k for an old truck, that's great. I paid $600 for my truck and should I ever sell it, anything over $600 is a bonus.

<edit> Yes, those rims should be considered a crime against humanity.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210

Last edited by jimmydean; 02-12-2007 at 03:36 PM.
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:41 PM   #5
grebus1

Try CARS, Inc. for the seat cover (www.carsinc.com). I believe you have the same custom/deluxe cloth cover that I have on my '72 Burb--I had CARS make me a new one about 3 years ago. Their website may not list the cloth, but give them a call or e-mail and they can check if they have enough of the cloth material in blue to do a cover for you. Cost was around $325. Here are a couple pics of mine installed.
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2007, 04:19 PM   #6
Ron 586
RIP Mr Ron

You didn't give how many miles the truck has on it so is it low or high mileage. It has been debadged and aftermarket wheels, the belt is off the a/c, and the trans has a little leak. Around here 1/4 of your asking price would be closer to what it's worth IMO. Of course I've been wrong before.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

TN Message Forum

TN Facebook Group

SETN Truck Show

My Photobucket
Ron 586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:22 PM   #7
Joe67
67 is sold

That looks like quite a find.
I don't know much about value, but that seems to be a very nice surivor for sure.

Please review the forum rules regarding 'what is it worth' threads - maybe become a subscriber - see the link in my sig below.

Personally, if I had that truck for sale, i would remove the camper shell in a heartbeat.

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:23 PM   #8
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

It's a great looking truck. Looks like whoever painted it pulled the emblems from the fenders and filled them in. Not so sure it is a $20k truck, but at least you're in California where values are higher. I'm not so sure I would throw any money into lowering it just to sell it. I'd try to get some correct style rims on it though. You have a nice truck and ought to consider keeping it and enjoying it.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:23 PM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Your 71 looks to have the Custom option package, not the CST. (which woulda been a cheyenne in 71 anyways) It would be listed on both the SPID in the glove box, and on the build sheet you found under the seat. I am making this assumption on the fact that there are bright moldings for the glass, and the wing vent. Being that there's no wood trim lower belt moulding, nor tailgate band, and it has plastic matting instead of carpet, it isn't gonna be the CST/Cheyenne.
Your repaint does have either some metal work, or reproduction fenders, since the Custom 10 badges, and the 8/350 badges are missing. You mentioned thinking there was supposed to be white somewhere, unless there was trim removed, and smoothed over, there was never any white on that truck.
Those wheels aren't all that bad. They aren't anything to write home about, but, I wouldn't think of them as a sin or anything. They look better (IMO) than most of the late model rims everyone seems to like, plus they fit right.
Wheel wise, best bang for the buck, and original-ish look, you simply can't beat 15X8 chevy truck rallys with stock caps and rings. With a 275/60 or so tire in back ... maybe a 255/60 up front, it'll give it a bit of a muscular look without taking away from it's original flair. Personally, I prefer white letters, again, more muscular look, but enough people hate them, that I would go with a plain black wall to please the masses.
If you want it original, it probably had white steel 15x7, or even 15x6 rims, with white hup caps, the baby moon or poverty caps, unless otherwise optioned... again, see the SPID or build sheet for this info.
Your seat cover may just need a real good cleaning. Take a good look on the drivers side, this wasn't the best material as far as wear goes. Plenty of people will tell you it isn't original, it wasn't a common option, and not many ppl even like it. Upgrading to a hounds tooth may get you more in return, but it may hurt the value. That kind of mod is a tough call, it's not like wheels where you just jack it up and install booring wheels to make it original again.
As for the cap on the back, I say remove it now. This way, you can inspect the top of the bed rails for holes drilled, and dents and scratches from that cap, or what ever cap or tool box may have been there before. I'd also leave it at home, or on the tow rig when you take it to auction... offer it to the winner for an added 100 bucks or so, and if the buyer doesn't want it, toss it on craigs list or something. Personally, it does nothing for the truck. It's too modern, doesn't have the smooth sexy lines that the truck has. Again, that is my opinion on that.
Something else you may want to consider, getting that bumper off of there. No one will be spending that much money, on a short fleet classic and make it a work truck. That rear bumper may well be original, but probably a dealer installed item. A smooth chrome bumper (commonly called a sport bumper) would make the rear look MUCH better.
While I don't follow the market very closely on upper end trucks or cars, I honestly don't see that being a $15,000 truck. Not too many people will pay top dollar for a basic equipped truck. I may well be wrong, but I really don't see it happening.
Good luck on your sale though, and if you would, let us know what you got out of it when you auction it off.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:24 PM   #10
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

wow...those 3 responses weren't there when i started typing.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:34 PM   #11
Joe67
67 is sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
You need to find the enter/return key

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member

Last edited by Joe67; 02-12-2007 at 04:34 PM.
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:42 PM   #12
Dano69c10

If you take it to Pomona, don't expect anything over 8k and alot of bogus offers to buy! There was enough said in the previous thread replies. I would take the shell off and ace the work bumper. If you are not planning on investing in new wheels, throw some later model center caps on those rims. I would also rebadge it with some quality emblems on the fenders to break up the monochrme paint scheme and paint the talgate letters white. I wouldn't lower it, since it looks driveable at the height it is right now. For serious money you may want to try and sell on "Old Chevy Trucks" website. Don't get me wrong, that's a great truck if there is no rust, many here envy that truck.
Just my $0.02
Dano
Let me know when you take it to Pomona, I'd like to see it in person!

It ain't yours, if you didn't build it!

Last edited by Dano69c10; 02-12-2007 at 04:45 PM.
Dano69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:44 PM   #13
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
You're just new here, we members respond quickly

Last edited by Yukon Jack; 02-12-2007 at 04:44 PM.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:51 PM   #14
WorkinLonghorn

That's a very nice truck but I don't think you'll get 20K even in the land of fruits and nuts. I don't think many people will be impressed with the 'ol " kept in a heated garage for 15 years" or the infamous " old man owner just took it down the street every 3 months" or whatever. But you do have the goods documenting it's one-owner status and it could get maybe 10-12 as a previously semi-restored,very nice condition Ca. truck. It may need mechanical help (how's the compression,shifts,power etc) and is an excellent start for a custom project.I wouldn't lower it and I would offer it with the shell and just test the waters,maybe get lucky.JMHO
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:05 PM   #15
meaniam

it is awesome i recived feedback from all of you. even tjou it may be the truth and alittle of what i may not have wanted to hear. it none the less is the truth. my opinion is as follows

i hate the rims.

as far as the comment about knowing my trucks hummmmmmmmmm i have yet have 1 person who can tell me about it other then a reply here. which maybe close. i would like to see a more straight on shot. so i can compare. but i dought 90% of the people here could state what seat cover that is or where to find it. i do appreciate you stopping by with your help iveldesigns. and in no way is this suppose to be sarcastic. my field is in chevelle and elcaminos

the top or bed cap, i have had almost everyone that seen it said remove it. that is the going opinon. i am lucky it is only clamped on and there looks to be good padding.

the rear bumper. i think the rear bumper switch would do so much more. but i wish i knew what code v43 was on build sheet. i mean what it looked like.

all paperwork dealer delivery, and build sheet says code 572 white and dk blu.
it also has code looks like bxz bdy lower moldings. like to know what ones those are. i think there is 2 diffrent styles. i wonder where the with was and where the blue was. original family thinks the roof and down the middle was white. they are looking for photo
the emblems and side molding was removed and i belive he stated the hole were welded and gound down. there is not a lick of rust. the trans i was gonna install a new rear seal of course. that is an easy enough fix. i need to repack the wheel bearings. the driver front i think may need attention. not a problem for me. the truck fires right up. idles smooth. no smoke or anything. no oil leaks from any other locations other then rear trans. it does have a small amount of seepage from valve covers. which ill address.

ill share the build sheet

bxz bdy lower molding j70? vac brake boost pu8 rg78x15x2+2 hww
u63 p/button radio c60 air cond ip mtd ls9 v8 engine 350cu
pu8 rg78x15x2+2 hww vj9 exh emmision labe c80 door lamp switch
m38 3 spd auto tran pu8 sg78x15x2+2 hww v43 r/step bumper
dg4 w/c jr mir stls n40 hydrl steering p01 whl trim covers z18 gvw plate
f59 frt stablizer z53 amp-oil gage g50 hvy rear springs z62 comfort???n gr
572 white& dk blu 067 blue cloth tri

anyone know the z62 pack?

oh i did see the post about i wonder what it is worth and i didnt think i really hit that. but i did and want to acknowledge that
thank you

Last edited by meaniam; 02-12-2007 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:21 PM   #16
meaniam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano69c10 View Post
If you take it to Pomona, don't expect anything over 8k and alot of bogus offers to buy! There was enough said in the previous thread replies. I would take the shell off and ace the work bumper. If you are not planning on investing in new wheels, throw some later model center caps on those rims. I would also rebadge it with some quality emblems on the fenders to break up the monochrme paint scheme and paint the talgate letters white. I wouldn't lower it, since it looks driveable at the height it is right now. For serious money you may want to try and sell on "Old Chevy Trucks" website. Don't get me wrong, that's a great truck if there is no rust, many here envy that truck.
Just my $0.02
Dano
Let me know when you take it to Pomona, I'd like to see it in person!
im hoping to have it there in march at the next show. the only thing worring me is the seat cover. for less then 15k i think ill hold on to it. depends how it goes and how i feel. it does get a lot of wow and comments. so it is cool for that. and it is a great truck. everyone tells me hold onto it. which only is difficult becuase i have 11 cars. and that is difficult in ca to do. with all the laws and city ords. im sure i will regret selling it as im sure i wont find another like this. i have flipped about 10 67-72 for a quick 2-4k extra profit since 1997.but none where in the condition of this. im still undiced as to wheather or not i want to sell it. more the wife she needs to drive it to fall in love.

if i keep it i will toss the cap. lower it and throw some 17in tourque thrust II, and hopefully find a bed cover that fits in between the bed caps. and install dual exhast maybe a 40 ser flowmaster. or a billy boat exhast depending on weather i put a healthy cam in it

Last edited by meaniam; 02-12-2007 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:37 PM   #17
meathead95
computer illiterate

i say put stock rims and caps on it, change out the rear bumper for a sport bumper and ditch the topper and you have a 10-12k dollar truck
Old 02-12-2007, 05:45 PM   #18
Ron 586
RIP Mr Ron

How many miles is the truck showing?

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

TN Message Forum

TN Facebook Group

SETN Truck Show

My Photobucket
Ron 586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:48 PM   #19
meaniam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron 586 View Post
How many miles is the truck showing?
22k but paperwork suports 122k
Old 02-12-2007, 05:48 PM   #20
Imacarguytoo

That is a really clean truck. Great find. I think i saw a jet boat behind it. And then lost concousness. Got any pics of the boat?
'51 Jeep Cj3a "Willys" 350 V8
Imacarguytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:16 PM   #21
grebus1

Meaniam, were you asking me for another/different picture of my seatcover? It wasn't clear to me, so if you need that let me know. In looking at your close-up pic again, I am 98% sure that we have the same pattern. I'd describe the cloth pattern on mine (original rear seats and new front seatcover) as rows of small flowers--does that sound like what you have?
Old 02-13-2007, 12:04 AM   #22
meaniam

Quote:
Originally Posted by grebus1 View Post
Meaniam, were you asking me for another/different picture of my seatcover? It wasn't clear to me, so if you need that let me know. In looking at your close-up pic again, I am 98% sure that we have the same pattern. I'd describe the cloth pattern on mine (original rear seats and new front seatcover) as rows of small flowers--does that sound like what you have?
yeah if you dont mind a str8 up close shot. i went on cars site and couldnt find it. matter of fact most of the seat covers didnt have pics. WTF? how do they expect there site to work for them.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:19 AM   #23
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

Man, I love that color. Do you know the name of it? It's close to what my '71 is. I want to paint both of mine the same with different whit accents.
Name:  JB's Trucks (34).jpg
Views: 851
Size:  66.3 KB

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:22 AM   #24
Drobny
Hunting is Life

Drobny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:44 AM   #25
FarmTruk
In Memoriam...

That is a really nice truck. Good luck if you try to sell, but she looks like a keeper...

Needs a little shine on the blackwalls
FarmTruk is offline   Reply With Quote