The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2007, 01:01 AM   #1
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

well boy's tell me what im supposed to do now

well i think im either screwed or going to jail..my girl friend needed somethign to drive, while her car was tore up..so i let her tag my 84 gmc in her name..i made her sign the title back over to me, as soon as it came back in the mail..but anyway,,she just got served for not paying some bills..they say she cannot sell or give away or borrow money on any property..uh hello,,what about my truck..we talked to a lawer yesterday, he said the only thing we can do is go to court and explain to the judge what was going on...now my question is,,if i go ahead and change the title back to my name,,whos getting the contempt of court...I WILL NOT TURN MY TRUCK OVER TO THEM IF IT COMES TO THAT..i dont care if the president hows up,,nobody is gettig my truck...

now this truck is my baby..do i strip it real quick, and let them have a bare shell of a cab and frame...do i trade it off for a swb 80's gmc i know of that needs a motor, i think i can trade my body straight across for it...and just put my 454 in the swb truck...

if they get my truck,,im definatly gonna be single,,or in jail for starting another waco or ruby ridge..

just cant sleep any more,,im so wond up over this,, anlong with all the health problems i got,,i dont need this kinda strees to.

billy
Old 06-28-2007, 01:24 AM   #2
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Re: well boy's tell me what im supposed to do now

I'm no legal expert. If you received the signed title back before the serving the truck is yours. You however must change the title to your name.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:03 AM   #3
Mr79C10
It Is What It Is,,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchemist View Post
I'm no legal expert. If you received the signed title back before the serving the truck is yours. You however must change the title to your name.
Thats pretty much correct, the title was signed before she was picked up,,, right. Sounds like a done deal.
Just smile when you drive YOUR truck
79 C-10 project
.........................__
..............._____ l __\___
..............|_(O)_ |___(O) ]
FAQ INDEX Thread
The Kulture
My Rat Den
Mr79C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:22 AM   #4
Yankeelights

One never knows what a Judge will do. I think if I were in a similar situation I would strip the thing until the situation was resolved.
Yankeelights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:34 AM   #5
grinch4om
dang its hot

this is a toughy. Was the title dated? Man, are you sure you want to be involved with this gal? gee whiz, what are you in for in the future? Just askin man, please dont take offence. The responce is based on the info provided. If you put the title in your name, she would be in contempt, not you. Worth the risk? you decide

you know, the more I think about it, yanking the rat and putting an small block in it, or nothing is a thought...
grinch4om is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:16 AM   #6
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

thanks guys..yeah the title is dated and is about 2 or 3 days after it came back from the state...which was several months before she got served...i been trying to get rid of her for years..now i cant thrw her out, because i cant work at the moment...but yeah if i dont put it in my name, and they want it,,im stripping it to the bare frame, i will leave the the cab with nothing in it..along with the vin.. im sure glad this is happening now,,and not a few months from now,,i been talking to a guy about rebuilding my truck back to stock specs, frame up...i may find me another junk 3/4 ton gmc, but i wont go into that,,would hate to think i would break the law..
billy
Old 06-28-2007, 10:21 AM   #7
ChaseDale3and8

I'd get rid of that woman and do it right now! I had a girlfriend like her once and I was stupid enough to let things go until she ended up turning into an ex-wife! Don't let this happen to you man! Cut your loss and be done with her before she costs you some real money!

I'm with these guys on the title. I think that as long as it was signed before they picked her up you should be okay. Instead of stripping your truck I'd suggest hiding it at a buddys house if at all possible until you see how things are going to turn out. Then if things go bad strip it! ...Joe
Old 06-28-2007, 07:36 PM   #8
Yankeelights

I'm not suggesting that anyone break the law, but here is another option that I myself would consider, just in case the offender in question's name is flagged at the state to prevent the title from being transfered:

http://www.broadwaytitle.com

The only catch is, right now they can only title up to 1974. Later years are expected to be added again soon.

~ Dave
Yankeelights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:14 PM   #9
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

id hide the truck someplace until this is all sorted out and um dont make the mistake i did and keep a lost cause around. you only wind up with more misery

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:16 PM   #10
DROPPED15
HALF ASSER

Man Oh Man!!!the Problem With The Title Being Signed Back Over To You,if It Was Not Actually Put Back In Your Name Before She Was Served (no Offense) You Sig On The Back Don't Mean Nothing!sounds Like Your Lady Friend Needs To Pay Those Bills And Get 'em Off Your Back.or Give You What The Truck Is Worth!!!not Trying To Be A Smart A$$ But That's Reality!
Old 06-28-2007, 10:49 PM   #11
trkklr77
Account Suspended

Location: vacaville ca, because it as far from indy as i can be

i don tunderstand why you put in her name in the first place??

you can drive someone elses ride, so why give them any more $$$ vis changing the title over. make no sence to me at all????

yank your vin and put it in some pos and find a new one for yours. all they will look at is the vin, dumbasses have no other idea about veh. years.
trkklr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:10 AM   #12
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Arrow Re: well boy's tell me what im supposed to do now

I'd get the title have her sign it back over to you and just hold on to it hide the truck at a friend or family members house and just wait for it all to blow over if they come looking tell 'em the truck was sold for scrap/ parts and the title is lost.

If there's no truck or title they cant take it away from you.

If you have a written receipt form the PO when you bought the truck that is proof that it was yours to begain with.

Good luck

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:45 AM   #13
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkklr77 View Post
i don tunderstand why you put in her name in the first place??

you can drive someone elses ride, so why give them any more $$$ vis changing the title over. make no sence to me at all????

yank your vin and put it in some pos and find a new one for yours. all they will look at is the vin, dumbasses have no other idea about veh. years.
the reson for this was since i got hurt i let the tags expire...cant afford to drive it anyway on what lillte money im getting...never gonna happen again..and i let the insurance go on it, so i just did it this way,,been with her for 9 yrs,,my mistake....but i got it figured out just in case it goes wrong,,going to junkyard today....
Old 06-29-2007, 09:34 AM   #14
msgross

My advice, this can only be legal if the title doens't need a notary and the title is dated from the DMV before the court papers. I doubt that the collection agency knows that she has the truck as an asset, unless she listed it as colateral for a loan.

1. Hide the truck if you dont' need to drive it for now...
2. Be sure that she signed and dated the title prior to her court papers arriving
3. Get your new title
4. It's her legal problem, not yours....

Good luck
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"

Last edited by msgross; 06-29-2007 at 09:35 AM.
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:05 AM   #15
nico

When and how was the title notarized? I got into a similar situation when buying my 84... I bought it from an ex-wife because the husband signed it over to her, but didn't get it notarized. Without the notarization, the signature was void, so it technically belonged to him.

If you had the title notarized when she signed it over to you... It's yours, if not, it could still be hers and legally open for repossession... Of course this is Oklahoma law... Check with your local tag agent or legal counsel first.
nico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:02 PM   #16
msgross

every state is different for signatures on titles. Indiana use to require it but doesn't now...
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:17 PM   #17
bigtruck81

used to require signatures for what? title transfers? im confused.
bigtruck81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 05:17 PM   #18
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

they dont need to be notorized...just the sellers and buyers signatures..and price,,which if you list as a gift,,dont have to pay nearly as much taxes on them,,ever car or truck i buy is listed as a gift...when my next check comes in, im gonna change the title..if they say i have to turn it in,,they can come get it,,but it will be stripped, and and need a way to move the frame and cac off the ground...thanks for all the advice...i will bet if they get a truck from me, it wont look nothing like the one i got now...
billy