The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2007, 02:33 AM   #1
lo04chevy

Spindles or A-arms

I have dealt with 99-up silverado/gmc trucks all day long. I used DJM mostly. 4/6 drop kit. I have a 85 silverado I just purchased. I want to lower it. Would it be better to have spindels or lower a-arms?

the kit i'm going to get is the 5/5 djm suspension. a-arms with 2" springs with a flip kit. help me!
lo04chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:34 AM   #2
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

Re: Spindels or A-arms

the spindle just relocates where the wheel attaches to, where-as the lower arm gives more of a defined spring drop.

correct me if Im wrong, but, doesn't the lower arm make it to where you have to have the camber re-adjusted?

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:03 AM   #3
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlife View Post
the spindle just relocates where the wheel attaches to, where-as the lower arm gives more of a defined spring drop.

correct me if Im wrong, but, doesn't the lower arm make it to where you have to have the camber re-adjusted?
I am certainly no expert on lowering trucks (I like mine stock or higher), but... Yes, as I understand it, the beauty of the drop (or lift for that matter) spindle is that it simply raises or lowers the wheel on the spindle, maintaining the original geometry of your suspension and steering components. A modified a-arm however, would effect this geometry. Now, if you have the money to spend on a kit, I assume a $75 alignment isn't the end of the world, but I think it may be difficult to reach an "optimum" alignment for all driving conditions if the truck is lowered or lifted too dramatically.

Just my $.02. - - I'm sure you'll get much more from guys that actually know.
Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:32 AM   #4
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilverado View Post
lol..yea cuz Im definately no fuggin rocket scientist! rofl

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
Old 07-12-2007, 10:49 AM   #5
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlife View Post
lol..yea cuz Im definately no fuggin rocket scientist! rofl
I just didn't want to alienate or intimidate the rest of the gang with my brilliance...
Old 07-12-2007, 02:46 PM   #6
lo04chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilverado View Post
I am certainly no expert on lowering trucks (I like mine stock or higher), but... Yes, as I understand it, the beauty of the drop (or lift for that matter) spindle is that it simply raises or lowers the wheel on the spindle, maintaining the original geometry of your suspension and steering components. A modified a-arm however, would effect this geometry. Now, if you have the money to spend on a kit, I assume a $75 alignment isn't the end of the world, but I think it may be difficult to reach an "optimum" alignment for all driving conditions if the truck is lowered or lifted too dramatically.

Actually you will still need to have an alignment with a drop spindels. My concern is that I have done a spindel and have heard bad thing about them. But, I have done alot of djm kits with the a-arms. RIDES PERFECT! With that, I just haven't messed with a 73-87 truck
Old 07-12-2007, 03:10 PM   #7
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Well, there you go - - just shows how much I know about lowering trucks.

I guess I'll just stick to my "heavy-half".
Old 07-12-2007, 05:48 PM   #8
kevinr1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by lo04chevy View Post
Actually you will still need to have an alignment with a drop spindels. My concern is that I have done a spindel and have heard bad thing about them. But, I have done alot of djm kits with the a-arms. RIDES PERFECT! With that, I just haven't messed with a 73-87 truck
Funny thing is on my '06 I did the DJM 2" CA's and after taking it to two different places it still is aligned incorrectly. Sort of wish I would have never done it or at least went with the spindles.
Why would you need to have it re-aligned with the spindles?
1991 GMC CrewCab Dually 4x4, just going to fix things up for now
1982/1989 K5/GMC Jimmy 2wd
1987 GMC 1/2 ton swb 2wd Crew (sold)
kevinr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:14 PM   #9
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinr1970 View Post
...Why would you need to have it re-aligned with the spindles?
I guess it's always a good idea to have the alignment checked after any front end work. Assuming the spindles are exactly like the original (except for the dropped shaft, of course) and no changes happen in the ball joints and tie rods, the alignment should stay uneffected, but it's probably smart to check it...
Old 07-12-2007, 11:44 PM   #10
lo04chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinr1970 View Post
Funny thing is on my '06 I did the DJM 2" CA's and after taking it to two different places it still is aligned incorrectly. Sort of wish I would have never done it or at least went with the spindles.
Why would you need to have it re-aligned with the spindles?
I think with spindels. The spindel moves the wheel causing a top camber. I'm not 100% sure on that.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:25 PM   #11
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

I have done both, and have had trucks with both.
You really cannot go wrong either way.

If I had one to do right now, I would chose spindles because you can get 3" drop spindles.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:29 AM   #12
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

either way its still best to at least have everything checked out...as stated above...better to be safe then spinning out at 70 mph on the freeway

Old 07-13-2007, 11:08 AM   #13
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

drop spindles move the wheel up and towards the engine. Anytime you change suspension components you should re-align.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Old 07-13-2007, 12:16 PM   #14
craig@ridetech.com
Formerly LSC71

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this or not, but keep in mind that if you only change the spindles your ride quality will still be the same, whereas if you put new lower arms and lowering springs on there you will change the way the truck rides due to the different spring rates between factory and lowered(drop) springs.
craig@ridetech.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:13 PM   #15
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC71 View Post
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this or not, but keep in mind that if you only change the spindles your ride quality will still be the same, whereas if you put new lower arms and lowering springs on there you will change the way the truck rides due to the different spring rates between factory and lowered(drop) springs.
You are comparing spindles vs LCA w/ springs, not spindles vs LCA's
LCA's by themselves (like spindles by themselves) won't change the ride either. Adding springs to the mix is where the ride will "change".
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Old 07-13-2007, 03:28 PM   #16
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I have done several Mid eighties series trucks with the 3" drop spindles and the 1" drop front springs, from Bell Tech. I have had great success in getting what I wanted out fo the drops by using these components and I have put over 200,000 miles on my 84.. My 91 Silverado dailey driver has the 2 1/2" drop A-arms from DJM and I have put over180,000 miles on that truck with no problems either. The wheel alignment is needed for both styles of drop, but the impact to the suspension alignment is greater with the drop A-arms. For an 80s truck, I would seriously consider the spindles and the springs for what you want. The price and time of install is simply the easiest. If you stick with 15" rims, you may have to trim the bottom A-arm outer end a little to clear the rim edge. That is only if your rims have that much positive offset. I have 15" X 8" rims , that have a 4.5" backspace and I have no problems of clearance on my 84 GMC.

Last edited by piecesparts; 07-13-2007 at 08:04 PM.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:23 PM   #17
lo04chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
I have done several Mid eighties series trucks with the 3" drop spindles and the 1" drop front springs, from Bell Tech. I have had great success in getting what I wanted out fo the drops by using these components and I have put over 200,000 miles on my 84.. My 91 Silverado dailey driver has the 2 1/2" drop A-arms from DJM and I have put over180,000 miles on that truck with no problems either. The wheel alignment is needed for both styles of drop, but the impact to the suspension alignment is greater with the drop A-arms. For an 80s truck, I would seriously consider the spindles and the springs for what you want. The price and time of install is simply the easiest. If you stick with 15" rims, you may have to trim the bottom A-arm outer end a little to clear the rim edge. That is only if your rims have that much positive offset. I have 15" X 8" rims , that have a 4.5" backspace and I have no problems of clearance on my 84 GMC.
thank you! Thats exactlly what I wanted to know. I prefer drop lca's. So I am going that route. anyone have pics of a 5/5 drop on the 81-87?