The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2007, 10:25 AM   #1
abadsvt

Sand Blasting Cab questions

By the end of August i should have the cab all done with major bodywork minus the custom dash. I was hoping to have it sandblasted to get all the old paint off plus see if there is any other damage to the cab. I was a little worried about all the sand getting into the cracks and not ever getting out. Has anyone experience this? Also do they usually primer the cab or do they give it back and I primer it? If i do primer it what kind of primer should i use as a base since i still have to do bodywork. I used to use an expoxy primer but wasn't sure if there is anything new and better. One more thing. What does it normally cost to have it sandblasted? Thanks Josh
Other project: C5 corvette swap into 70 c10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post2413517 On Hold
abadsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 01:09 PM   #2
revn67

Re: Sand Blasting Cab questions

well there will be alot of using a blowgun to get the sand out, you'll never really get every tiny particle out, but it'll just take awhile to get it all blown out...that is really the only way i do it at the shop i work at....never had a problem with it showing up in the paint or anything like that so you'll be ok! as for if the blasting place will primer your cab...it depends ask before you bring it to a place, some do spray primer but obviously that comes extra and some places don't bother.....you can use epoxy primer and do your bodywork over that when ya need to, epoxy will give a good protection coat from rust. i'm sure prices vary everywhere but to get a cab blasted around where i live it costs $275 and $450 if primered........if anyone else wants to add in some advice please help em out, by the way i love what you've done so far with thee truck

"finish your beer, theres sober kids in india!"

Last edited by revn67; 07-12-2007 at 01:13 PM.
revn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 01:19 PM   #3
John Fabris
TOTY 2006

Re: Sand Blasting Cab questions

I had my cab media blasted and when I got it back, it took about three months of moving and rotating the cab to get all of the media out. It filled a five gallon bucket..... Most of it was in the back and top of the cab. Get a wand type air nozzle and blow, blow, blow... Then tilt the cab and blow more....