The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2007, 06:29 PM   #1
jorgensensc

Is it Just Me? Or are Parts prices getting Ridiculous?

I have been trying to source used parts from this board for my project truck. I like to think that I have been here long enough to be able to speak intelligently about parts prices. I have noticed lately (within about the last 4 months) that used parts are getting outragous in price. It almost feels like we have a mini evilbay here. I don't want to offend anyone, and this is not directed at anyone, but it feels like the prices of items we could get for relatively cheap last year are twice the price now. I could buy a nice short fleet bed with tailgate that needed paint for 500.00 from this board last year, now they are being offered for 1000.00 plus. It seems like the members who have been on here for awhile still offer what I consider fair prices for items, but it feels like newer members are offering items up for substantially high prices. It seems like there are also people becoming members just to sell items. When did clean rust free fenders go from 50.00 to nearly 100.00, and hoods from 100.00 to 200.00? Lets not even talk about tailgates. I recently sold another member what I consider to be a clean relativily rest free tailgate for 125.00 plus shipping. True that was a friend, but I still would consider 175.00 to be fair. How have they gotten in the 700.00-800.00 range? Maybe I'm way behind the times, but these trucks aren't that scarce yet. And most of the repro sheet metal parts are pretty darn good from what I'm hearing (except for repro tailgates). Am I way behind the times or what? Like I said,this is not directed at anyone in particular, just something I have noticed since being on this board. I don't want anyone to be offended, or upset, just trying to understand what is going on, because the inflation here seems to be higher than the real world.. What are your thoughts?
Shawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Last edited by jorgensensc; 09-04-2007 at 06:31 PM.
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:58 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Is it Just Me? Or are Parts prices getting Ridiculous?

That's the way this stuff goes sometimes. Personally, I try & get parts in 'bulk' to get a better price & then sell off items I don't want/need to off-set the cost.

I bought a steel-floor, short fleet bed from a board member, but I only wanted the floor. I got a better price as a pkg & then offered the other pieces for sale. I priced the items so that I would end up w/the floor for minimal cash outlay.

The tailgate would easily have brought $300; but I sold it to a buddy for the same price as a re-pop tailgate he just sold. He wound up buying the bedsides & front panel from me too @ cheaper prices than what I was asking. So in the end, I paid a little more for the floor but still came out ok. My friend got decent stuff @ a decent price (could have been better stuff but it wasn't crap) & I got my floor.

What are you trying to get?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:58 PM   #3
Primered_69

Well if people would look at the prices that are being offered and see that some for sale post last one to two weeks with basically the same stuff and nothing but nibbles they would know their prices are too high.

But you have alot of people who are using this place like ebay and are trying to turn a profit. In the past there were people who were off loading things they were not going to use and just wanted a decent price back to put back into their truck. The whole mentality is different. We have a lot of profiteers instead of hobbist now trying to sale.

Likewise the good people had to deal with so much hassle from people on the board they just do not put stuff up for sale because as a hobbist it is too much hassle.

I for one would rather give a ten dollar part away to someone instead of selling it and all. But for profiteer it is about every dollar you can get out of it.

Like my dad said about one guy I bought some doors from "I wasn't too impressed with that guy for him it is about making a dollar, not because he loves these trucks."
Old 09-04-2007, 07:00 PM   #4
chip46wis

I have noticed the prices here and EVERYWHERE going up-however the 67-72s seem to be going way up in price along with it.I hit a few shows this year and what I thought should be a $4-5000 truck people werent shy about asking $10.000 plus for what sold a couple years ago for 1/3 1/2 that.Guess that means my 69 stepside will be worth a lot more than what I hoped for someday.
chip46wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:08 PM   #5
Ackattack

Part of it may be that people just don't know what stuff is worth. I mean if I had a old rusty tow hook, I'd probably toss it out cause it's not worth anything to me, but then to some of the 4x4 guys on here they're worth more than gold. So then you have, for example, a front fender....is it worthless or worth gold....go for the gold!

But the selling price is determined just as much by the buyer as the seller.

My stance: I haven't boughten or sold anything on here, generally cause it too expensive to ship things (most are large). I've sold a lot on craigslist though, and have even met some fellow truck enthusiast by doing that (though not board members).
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:14 PM   #6
timcos
Chief Honcho In Charge

Asking Price is one thing. Purchasing is another.

I find that folks just adjust till it sells. So the asking price may not be what it actually sold for.

Heck...anyone can ask any price for anything.

I had a garage sale one day...not one price on anything. No tags no stickers..nothing. When someone asked me what I wanted for something I said make me an offer. It was usually more than I would have priced it.

I made a little over $1,700 that day.

1992 1500 4x4 Shortbed
1984 Ford F250 Supercab Longbed 6.9L Diesel
1972 K10 Cheyenne Super Fleetside Short Bed - 350 - A/C
1971 VW SuperBeetle
1960 Wife
1984 Son
1986 Son
1989 Son

Previous Trucks
1967 C10 SWB (1980-1981)
1971 C10 LWB (1998-2004)
timcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:23 PM   #7
Down south truckin

I think the prices vary depending on location the prices in the south have been outrageous for years! I'm actually selling stuff nowadays for less than what it used to bring. DST
Down south truckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:23 PM   #8
bighead

I'd have to disagree. I see parts prices dropping for almost everything but a few unusual options and parts that a quality repop is unavailable for. Lots of stuff is worth more for scrap than you can sell it for on this board or ebay. Last week I got $47 scrap for a rolling lwb chassis because there was no market for it or any part of it. The $3 gas has pushed TONS of these trucks off the road and more are parked every day. Next step for them is parting out which is flooding the market.
bighead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:29 PM   #9
cstanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
Part of it may be that people just don't know what stuff is worth.
this one applies to me more often than not. it's pretty easy to determine a price for something new, but some of this stuff (especially if a person hasn't seen anything like it for sale before) is tough to nail down. I also think folks are maybe being a little shy about making an offer. I had some stuff for sale, didn't really know if it was high or not, but no one even shot me an offer on it, which makes it pretty difficult to gauge.

'72 Blazer Restoration Blog: http://sportchicken.blogspot.com/
cstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:05 PM   #10
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I quit trying to fool with old cars about 25 years ago because I couldn't compete with the moneybagged people I knew. When I got my truck in Oct. of '99, my wife asked me how much it would cost to get it like I want it. I told her "about the same as a new truck". So far, I'm still on target.

Pricing is based on supply and demand. That makes NOS parts expensive. Repop parts are cheaper and available. Some parts that our trucks use are still available from GM. I bought new hood hinges and springs from my local Chevy dealer. You have to shop around. Money talks in the parts game. If you see something you want and the money is in your pocket, you can deal. It's the way things are done.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:14 PM   #11
bcanini
"Taste It"

I think it's like anything else... if ya want to buy it make an offer and dont be shy about it.

B

2007 Silverado Crew with the MAX Pack and loaded
2007 CX-9
"Hopefully when I die.. my wife wont sell my stuff for what I said I paid for it"

It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission.
bcanini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:41 PM   #12
xshadow

I've passed on a few items on here because of the price. Then add shipping and it's even higher. There are some on here that is out to make a buck and thats the only reason there here.
I think others see there prices, and price the stuff they have higher "if that guy is selling his for $xx.xx i should be able to get that."
Also, If somone on here wants to just sell a part or two that they have around the house there prob. not going to pay the $25.00 to support the site just to post two parts that they would sell cheap. (i don't disagree on the site supporter fee) it may be to big of a hassle for the guy that just wants to unload some parts cheap.

Last edited by xshadow; 09-04-2007 at 08:45 PM.
xshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:45 PM   #13
BB72CHEVKT

I can stay online during the day at work. I have noticed that several parts dealers also do and as soon as a good deal on a rare part comes along it is gone. What can you say though thats America. Although I here ya!!!
Old 09-04-2007, 09:08 PM   #14
72highlander
Sophomore Member

i think the prices of obsolete stuff has always been high, just more seems to be popping up lately. i know you've been looking for a bed. nowadays, you can get repro sides, probably $500 a piece to get one to you. i see the floors are now available from some places, probably gonna be around $850 to get one to you. a gate is gonna be around $350 to get to you. head gate a couple hundred. so total for a new bed you would spend roughly $2500 and still be aftermarket, so i'd gladly give $1000 or more for a nice short fleet original bed. there are people on the board selling parts as a way to make a living, but i'm not gonna venture out and say they aren't enthiusiasts. i like nice stuff, and give big money for it when i buy it. therefore when i sell i try to get what i got in it out of it. the prices of our trucks are going up considerably, which stands to reason it is costing more to build them. just my .02

these trucks don't need vacuum gauges cause they don't suck!
two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left
all i want is a little more than i'll ever get
it's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6
72highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:18 AM   #15
alschevy
Account Suspended

Hello Shawn im Allen well i am geting in to try to sell used parts&trucks,cars
and i do towing and i want to buy sell trade i am trying to go to the shows
and i am trying to get a web site made to i am very good at finding parts and
cars and trucks

1967 chevy one ton wrecker truck 1968 chevy one ton long horn carhauler
alschevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:22 AM   #16
krue
Designated A-hole!

You'll have to subscribe to sell occasional parts. If all you're doing is buying/selling you'll need to become a vendor.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:09 AM   #17
SCOTI

I had short fleet bedsides I was selling for $250 ea. w/original paint, no bondo, & no large damage/rust-through. So someone could have had both original steel bedsides for the price of one new re-pop bedside (re-pop bedsides require bodywork too).

People thought they were priced too high....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:15 AM   #18
timcos
Chief Honcho In Charge

It would be easier and cheaper to buy as 2 year old loaded Honda Accord.

But where is the therapy in that?

1992 1500 4x4 Shortbed
1984 Ford F250 Supercab Longbed 6.9L Diesel
1972 K10 Cheyenne Super Fleetside Short Bed - 350 - A/C
1971 VW SuperBeetle
1960 Wife
1984 Son
1986 Son
1989 Son

Previous Trucks
1967 C10 SWB (1980-1981)
1971 C10 LWB (1998-2004)
timcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:00 PM   #19
72 Cheyenne402

everything is going up in price. although I do agree some thing are out of control and building my truck as a hobby is getting financially harder every year.
72 Cheyenne402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:14 PM   #20
HeavyD

Interesting thread. Many times I have seen people post on here that they are hoping the value of these trucks skyrocket like the musclecars have. I personally don't wish for this to occur since I feel it takes the fun out of the hobby, but it seems to be happening. If things keep going up good luck finding a father/son/daughter project that's doable on an average salary.

Last edited by HeavyD; 09-05-2007 at 02:32 PM.
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:59 PM   #21
wibilly

when selling a part you also need to look at ehat will it cost you to replace it. i hate to sell any solid body panel . there hard to find aeound here.if someone comes buy wanting a body panel i always price them high hoping they won't buy them. other small parts i'm happy to give to somone going to make good use of them for their own truck and not to profit from
Old 09-05-2007, 05:37 PM   #22
teeitup
Just like to part out trucks!!

I've been parting and selling parts off and on since 2000. Most used parts have actually gone down in price. Option parts have gone up, hard to find parts, NOS parts have all gone up.
I also set up at a couple swap meets a year too, people are not buying parts like they used too a couple years ago.
IMO, Whats really hurting selling on here and ebay is shipping prices are higher now.
More guys are parting them out too!!!
Its slowed down quite a bit in the last 2 years around here it seems.
I like to part them out, I enjoy it, it keeps me out of trouble with the wife. But it does take time away from the family, thats mostly why I've slowed down on it. Randy
1958 Cameo (one of 1405 built, it was my dads)
2020 chevy Apex 4x4 crew cab
1969 Z28 with the 302
1980 chevy swb 4x4
1964 chevell Malibu SS
1976 K20, sold new originally out of my dads chevy dealership

Members that I've met, over 200 probably closer to 300 in the 12 years I've been on this site, everyone I met "It was a pleasure"
teeitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:09 PM   #23
jamie72

besides shipping prices the cost of fuel has gone up in the last couple years, that just adds to the parts price.

member #807

http://www.myspace.com/whitetailobsession
www.antlertalk.com
jamie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:55 PM   #24
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Location and availability of the parts factor into the price as well.

Everyone's trying to make a quick buck these days, but I'm with jorgensensc parts prices have been going up. I guess that I just figured it was due to the economy.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:21 PM   #25
Fastfun

The price of machining, casting and just the general price of metals have really affected the prices. I think that also the popularity of our hobby has also affected pricing.
Fastfun is offline   Reply With Quote