The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2007, 08:57 PM   #1
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

A very sad day

My truck died to day. it got to hot to fast and i blew a head gasket. so know it has water in the oil and oil in the radator (can tell cause it smells like oil. She still run hard and strong but im not going to drive it again tell thats fixed. But becasue that went bad i thought i might as well fix my next problem to she has an oil leak from hell. burns oil about a quart ever week or so can smell it.

Im take the engine out Again and replace all gaskets and replace the seal and all in the heads. also might as well see if the heads are still good and not worped. Or just get another set. And because im there might as well make the truck a roller. The worst of it all shes my daily drive and so im still screwed.

But there is light at the end of the tunnel i just bought another 1986 gmc for 150.00 with a 305 ho out of an 80s montecarlo has the center bolts down the valve cover like my 350 dont know if they are the same. And as for trasportation im buying a late 80 early 90s vw golf 5 speed for 350 in perfect shape. it not a very attractive car but im not worried.

So here what i need to know.
*Are the 305s head same as my 1989 jimmys heads. incase mine ar done.
* What should i look for with it issue of overheating.

Ps. the over heated engines has 220,000 mile thought its about time to rebuild it.

Also here a picture of the engine the first time i installed it

And heres the truck hate to take it apart but if i need the parts

Any idea or thought would be greet to hear

* 1970 chevelle 2dr sedan Latest update June 24 2007.

*1957 4 door stationwagon - pink all original needing a good restore (body great, floors bad)

newest additions
1965 shortbed fleet great granddads. Been told im nuts to bring it back from the dead (still going to happen) plans-all stock with a turbo 292 inline 3 speed column shift. and thats it

big block 427 and 5 speed trans and ford 9 inch theyhave no home yet thinking what to put them in

and a 79 c60 trash truck um no idea i have one

Last edited by Srubydo1986; 09-11-2007 at 08:57 PM.
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:46 PM   #2
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

Re: A very sad day

Dang dude, that sucks. At least it sounds like you're covered with transportation until you get the truck fixed.

I can't answer your first question, but I can help out with the second. When you overheat an engine to the point of blowing it, you can usually expect to see some damage in the head. Best case scenario (behind nothing being wrong with the head) is a blown head gasket. Second to that would be a warped head which can be machined flat again. Worst case scenario, and what has happened to me twice now, is a cracked head.

Good luck, bro.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:12 PM   #3
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

i tryed to kreep it hom by nuetral and off and cruise down hills which there were alot but id turn it on again an d gun it to 85 mph to turn it off and do it again. might not have been the best idea but it sayed a little cooler.

As soon as i got home i did a dumb thing i took the radator cap off right after stopping and as i thought nothing came out. So im looking in to many things. the vw was supposed to save me cash but it just going to save me. I want to save up so i could start the chevelle project ive been at for 3 years and need to finish in one year or its a goner

thx for the info ill take a look at the heads once it remove them ill pressure wash them and clean them up and if i see a crack.

*1957 4 door stationwagon - pink all original needing a good restore (body great, floors bad)

newest additions
1965 shortbed fleet great granddads. Been told im nuts to bring it back from the dead (still going to happen) plans-all stock with a turbo 292 inline 3 speed column shift. and thats it

big block 427 and 5 speed trans and ford 9 inch theyhave no home yet thinking what to put them in

Last edited by Srubydo1986; 09-11-2007 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:32 PM   #4
78chev

Hey, it's not all bad. Sometimes a guy needs a major failure to give him a good kick in the arse.
My 99 Cougar spun a bearing in 03. I thought that I didn't have the time or funds to fix it, but about 2 years later I had a full race prep'd, turbo, 11 or so second car!
Don't give up.
78chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:46 PM   #5
Morgsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78chev View Post
Hey, it's not all bad. Sometimes a guy needs a major failure to give him a good kick in the arse.
Major failure due to poor mechanics or just 'cause?

Morgsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:50 AM   #6
78chev

Guess I should've let the picture load before I commented. Oops!
But hey, he mentioned going roller. So maybe my point is still valid. Maybe?
78chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:01 AM   #7
Mr79C10
It Is What It Is,,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78chev View Post

Don't give up.

I agree, it kinda keeps you in "check" and can also make you stronger.
79 C-10 project
.........................__
..............._____ l __\___
..............|_(O)_ |___(O) ]
FAQ INDEX Thread
The Kulture
My Rat Den
Mr79C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:16 AM   #8
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgsie View Post
Major failure due to poor mechanics or just 'cause?

na engine hd 190,000 on it thought it might still last a bit more. the egine also sat for two year on a engine stand. So being lazy and not doing rigt the first time would be my fault. i had 3 mounth to bould a truck so i could get a job and make some cash so i did a quick swap it lasted about 6 months so i say that not to bad when i doged the crap out of the engine.

newest additions

Old 09-12-2007, 08:59 AM   #9
ChaseDale3and8

Quote:
Originally Posted by killthewabbit View Post
Dang dude, that sucks. At least it sounds like you're covered with transportation until you get the truck fixed.

I can't answer your first question, but I can help out with the second. When you overheat an engine to the point of blowing it, you can usually expect to see some damage in the head. Best case scenario (behind nothing being wrong with the head) is a blown head gasket. Second to that would be a warped head which can be machined flat again. Worst case scenario, and what has happened to me twice now, is a cracked head.

Good luck, bro.
X2.... Cracked heads would be the first thing that I'd have checked. No use putting any more time and effort into a cracked head. This has happened to me before and I ended up having to replace both heads. Mine cracked clear up into the valve seats. If you don't buy a remanufactured set of heads be sure to have any that you do buy magnafluxed for cracks before you buy or you will end up with the same problem again. ...Joe
Old 09-12-2007, 09:31 AM   #10
G35MIKE

may i suggest a gm genIII swap.. ????
Old 09-12-2007, 07:03 PM   #11
Morgsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srubydo1986 View Post
na engine hd 190,000 on it thought it might still last a bit more. the egine also sat for two year on a engine stand. So being lazy and not doing rigt the first time would be my fault. i had 3 mounth to bould a truck so i could get a job and make some cash so i did a quick swap it lasted about 6 months so i say that not to bad when i doged the crap out of the engine.
What?
Morgsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:36 PM   #12
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

sorry bad spelling and lazy. but all in all i thought engine would last and it didnt.

And what is a gen III swap casue i already have the catty corner heads

newest additions

Old 09-13-2007, 11:34 AM   #13
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

Im pretty sure a gen 3 engine is the Ls series engine.