The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2007, 11:31 PM   #1
wildmanaaron

Can you remove power distribution block on firewall?

I am wanting to clean up my engine bay alot and the power junction block (diamond shape thing mounted on firewall) is a big eyesore. I have seen alot of custom 73-87 era Trucks that have a completely smooth firewall or wires hidden that are not using this junction block, so it must be possible. I am not using the factory A/c system so the wire that goes to that won't be used now.

Anybody got any ideas or suggestions on this topic??
wildmanaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:12 AM   #2
xtreme80
Wishin' I had more money!

Re: Can you remove power distribution block on firewall?

There are a few on here that have made covers over the block. Not quite sure who though. I think Ken (N2TRUX) has made one, you might ask him about it.
xtreme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:40 AM   #3
moneyeater

I rewired my truck completely and placed the junctionblock on the innerfender halfway between the battery and the starter.Iīll make a cover for it and shut all the litte holes in the firewall! It was quiet a task to hide all the wires as much as possible in black wireloom and make everything work correctly but it looks really great and is easily accessible if necissary!
We used old steelflex brakelines and leftover chromed radiatorhoses for single wires and the little hose on the blowermotor.
I think you donīt want to rewire your truck but the junctionblock on the firewall should be easy to relocate somewhere lower in the enginebay!
....and donīt forget to disconnect the battery while working on the electrical system!
Name:  DSC01400 [640x480].JPG
Views: 2283
Size:  80.5 KB

Name:  IMGP0085 [640x480].JPG
Views: 2093
Size:  93.1 KB

Name:  E-Installation12.jpg
Views: 1815
Size:  89.5 KB

Name:  E-Installation17.jpg
Views: 1815
Size:  94.2 KB

Name:  IMGP0008 [640x480].JPG
Views: 1766
Size:  73.6 KB

Last edited by moneyeater; 10-01-2007 at 04:46 AM.
moneyeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:31 AM   #4
85_SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyeater View Post
I rewired my truck completely and placed the junctionblock on the innerfender halfway between the battery and the starter.Iīll make a cover for it and shut all the litte holes in the firewall! It was quiet a task to hide all the wires as much as possible in black wireloom and make everything work correctly but it looks really great and is easily accessible if necissary!
We used old steelflex brakelines and leftover chromed radiatorhoses for single wires and the little hose on the blowermotor.
I think you donīt want to rewire your truck but the junctionblock on the firewall should be easy to relocate somewhere lower in the enginebay!
....and donīt forget to disconnect the battery while working on the electrical system!
Attachment 303510

Attachment 303511

Attachment 303512

Attachment 303513

Attachment 303514
so what look to be heater hoses actually just have wires running through them?
Old 10-01-2007, 03:39 PM   #5
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

as always, moneyeater for the win... brother, your truck is immaculate as always.,.,.leaves the majority in envy

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:33 AM   #6
moneyeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlife View Post
as always, moneyeater for the win... brother, your truck is immaculate as always.,.,.leaves the majority in envy
Thanks for your comment!
.... and the best thing about it is that everything works properly without any leaks and trouble yet! I was a little concerned about that because all the seals and parts were dry for almost 10 years now!

@ 85 SWB: No the heaterhoses are what they supposed to be.Its just the littlt ventinghose on the blowermotor that we dressed up with some leftover to clean the enginebay up and carry on with one theme!

I hope you all like that as much as i do!
Old 10-12-2007, 03:13 PM   #7
wildmanaaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyeater View Post
Looks as if your Truck originally had Air Conditioning. How big of a hole did you have to make to mount the heater box on the firewall. I am about to remove my A/C set-up and go with a non-ac setup.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:22 PM   #8
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

She's looking Killer moneyeater
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:44 AM   #9
moneyeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmanaaron View Post
Looks as if your Truck originally had Air Conditioning. How big of a hole did you have to make to mount the heater box on the firewall. I am about to remove my A/C set-up and go with a non-ac setup.
That is right and it was quiet a bit of fabricating as usual on my truck but worked out fine and works well!
These are the holes side by side!
Name:  Heizung14 [640x480].JPG
Views: 1611
Size:  59.1 KB

Name:  Heizung16 [640x480].JPG
Views: 1595
Size:  64.1 KB
Old 10-13-2007, 12:59 PM   #10
wildmanaaron

Thanks for the pictures. Those are exaclt what I wanted to see. Here's my problem. I have a Blazer and the only time the top would stay on it is in the Winter or colder months. So all I really need is a heater.