The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2007, 04:31 PM   #1
Jcentsr6

Who has info on raising the bed floor??

I am looking for any info/pics of this custom work...raising the bed floor to c-notch the truck with out having to cut bed floor. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:17 PM   #2
Jcentsr6

Re: Who has info on raising the bed floor??

Anyone??
Old 10-08-2007, 12:19 AM   #3
SCOTI

A simple bolt-in c-notch doesn't require the bed floor to be raised. A step notch where the clearance above the rear-end housing is taller than the original frame does require floor mods.

Which do you want to do?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:27 AM   #4
Rokcrln

Look for "project slow build" by rokcrln and you can check out how I did one of mine.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:16 AM   #5
Jcentsr6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
A simple bolt-in c-notch doesn't require the bed floor to be raised. A step notch where the clearance above the rear-end housing is taller than the original frame does require floor mods.

Which do you want to do?
I dont know what to do...I have airbags and currently riding on the rear bump stops. I checked the clearance from the top of diff to the bed...its about 3 inches. What options do I have? What is the diff between a bolt in notch and anything else? Sorry...new to this method
Old 10-08-2007, 10:00 AM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcentsr6 View Post
I dont know what to do...I have airbags and currently riding on the rear bump stops. I checked the clearance from the top of diff to the bed...its about 3 inches. What options do I have? What is the diff between a bolt in notch and anything else? Sorry...new to this method
What trailing-arm crossmember are you using: Stock, modified stock, or aftermarket?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 10-08-2007, 10:15 AM   #7
Jcentsr6

Quote:
What trailing-arm crossmember are you using: Stock, modified stock, or aftermarket?
Stock...But remember its a lwb truck. I have not seen a aftermarket one for the lwb...only the swb. (are you asking due to the driveshaft?)
Old 10-08-2007, 11:56 AM   #8
SCOTI

Quote:
Stock...But remember its a lwb truck. I have not seen a aftermarket one for the lwb...only the swb. (are you asking due to the driveshaft?)
OK.... w/the carrier bearing assmbly driveshaft clearance @ the c.member shouldn't be an issue (which is why I asked).

Did you modify the original bumpstops?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 10-10-2007, 01:12 PM   #9
Jcentsr6

Quote:
OK.... w/the carrier bearing assmbly driveshaft clearance @ the c.member shouldn't be an issue (which is why I asked).

Did you modify the original bumpstops?
No org bump stops are still there. Sorry it took a few days to respond...I have been away. Thanks
Old 10-11-2007, 10:10 AM   #10
SCOTI

Quote:
No org bump stops are still there. Sorry it took a few days to respond...I have been away. Thanks
The bolt-in notch will get you a couple more inches of suspension travel. This is good because it keeps the rear-end housing off the rubber bumpstops which many here know can be annoying.

I would remove the factory bumpstop & bracket. Install a bolt-in notch & then adjust the supplied bumpstop so that it keeps the rear end 'pumpkin' from touching the bed floor.

The kit I got from CPP had a urethane bumpstop included (like a traction bar snubber) but I've learned they might now come w/the short 'pancake' style urethane type. In order to get the last bit of suspension travel possible while keeping the rear from touching the floor, the short type might requiring 'shimming' it up to make it taller & the longer type might require cutting it down.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 10-11-2007, 10:34 AM   #11
Jcentsr6

Quote:
The bolt-in notch will get you a couple more inches of suspension travel. This is good because it keeps the rear-end housing off the rubber bumpstops which many here know can be annoying.

I would remove the factory bumpstop & bracket. Install a bolt-in notch & then adjust the supplied bumpstop so that it keeps the rear end 'pumpkin' from touching the bed floor.

The kit I got from CPP had a urethane bumpstop included (like a traction bar snubber) but I've learned they might now come w/the short 'pancake' style urethane type. In order to get the last bit of suspension travel possible while keeping the rear from touching the floor, the short type might requiring 'shimming' it up to make it taller & the longer type might require cutting it down.

Perfect..just ths info I wanted. Now how hard is it to install a bolt in notch? What do I need to worry about when doing it?
Old 10-11-2007, 12:33 PM   #12
SCOTI

Quote:
Perfect..just ths info I wanted. Now how hard is it to install a bolt in notch? What do I need to worry about when doing it?
Hard parts? Cutting the frame for the notch & removing the original bumpstop brackets w/o removing the bed is tricky but 'do-able'.

What areas to be concerned about? Double check & make sure the center-line of the notch is centered over the axle housing when air'd out. My instructions said to mount it X amount of inches from a fixed hole in the frame. If I would have followed the instructions, the notch would have been off-center about 3/4". Use grade 8 hardware. Drill holes for all your corners before cutting the frame as it helps prevent stress-cracks from forming @ the corners of the cuts.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 10-11-2007 at 12:35 PM.