The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2007, 05:38 PM   #1
jfalesi

D'oh! Killed my AC compressor clutch?

A couple days ago I was fiddling around with the underdash wiring while trying to get some fog lights wired up. Well, I must have accidentally popped off the cable connected to the bottom lever of the heater control, which acts as the AC switch (I have an Old Air setup). Of course, I didn't realize this until the next time I turned the air on, at which point the compressor violently protested. It squealed like a pig and seriously bogged down the engine. While troubleshooting, I tried the AC few more times and got nuthin' but more squealing. After I finally figured out the problem, I tried the AC again and the compressor ran, but not without a little groaning and whining (and maybe some clicking). In addition, there is a noticeable (but not as pig-like) periodic squeal coming from the alternator area when the AC is OFF. So my question is twofold: 1. What does that cable do? I figured it controls the clutch solenoid, but I don't understand why the compressor would try to run without the solenoid activated. I thought that the only thing that needed to happen for the compressor to kick in was that the clutch had to engage. 2. Did I kill the clutch, the compressor or both? 3. (So I lied a little) Why does the alternator now whine? 4. (So I lied a lot) How much is this going to cost me?

Thanks in advance,
-Jamie (and Frankenburb)
jfalesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:51 PM   #2
70cst

Re: D'oh! Killed my AC compressor clutch?

Hey...
I will help you pay for your compressor...sell me one of your Hwy 61 trucks that I don't have, I am a very compassionate person and I have your best interest in mind!

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!

Last edited by 70cst; 10-09-2007 at 05:52 PM.
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:59 PM   #3
jfalesi

I'll trade you my black one for your green one
Old 10-09-2007, 06:11 PM   #4
70cst

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...
Let me think on this That's very tempting...I would but then you would have to deal with 70cstjr. I told him until he gets my "Green" 70cst the "Green" Hwy 61 will have to do.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:59 PM   #5
jfalesi

ttt
Old 10-11-2007, 01:54 PM   #6
jfalesi

Tell me what is wrong with my AC, win $10!

Whoever's answer helps the most gets $10 from me towards a year's subscription to the Board! Please note that I do not know the answer, so I won't know who the winner is until the problem is fixed. See the first post in this thread for a description of the problem. Please feel free to ask any questions that might assist in your diagnosis. If a Mod wins, I'll donate $10 towards the board. If this thread violates some Board rule that I neglected to read, I ask Mods for mercy and am not above bribery in the form of $10 donated to the board! And now the disclaimers...

No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited. Enthusiasts of non-Chevy/GMC trucks are not eligible and should buy a real truck and join the Board. Members of my household (two cats) are not eligible and are prohibited from doo-dooing and wee-weeing in and/or on said truck. My mechanic is also ineligible, since if he fixes it I'll owe him a lot more than $10...

Good luck and Godspeed! D@mn the torpedos, full speed ahead! Beam me up, Scottie! Oh yeah, and tell me what's wrong with my AC...

-Jamie
Old 10-11-2007, 02:24 PM   #7
OLDIRON69

It sounds as if you fried the clutch, it has 12V going to the compressor via the two prong plug. This is what engages the clutch. The clutch is dragging and it is causing the belt(s) to squeal. Clutch is a pretty cheap fix.
69 Dodge Charger-440/4spd
OLDIRON69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 02:29 PM   #8
jfalesi

If the clutch were dragging, wouldn't it just turn the compressor more slowly? I'm not sure how I could have fried the clutch, since the first sign of trouble was the obnoxious squealing. But... that's the best explanation so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDIRON69 View Post
It sounds as if you fried the clutch, it has 12V going to the compressor via the two prong plug. This is what engages the clutch. The clutch is dragging and it is causing the belt(s) to squeal. Clutch is a pretty cheap fix.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:56 PM   #9
49m

Your compressor will need a new clutch. Stick your ear on the altenator and if it is rally lound buzzing you will need a new one too. It probaly shorted when you knoked it loose
49m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:11 PM   #10
OLDROCK&ROLLER

Sounds like to me that you clutch is ok and you compressor is trying to lock up if it is stalling your motor down when you turn it on.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:17 PM   #11
WorkinLonghorn

If you had squealing with the engine bogging at the same time it certainly was not the clutch slipping.It was the compressor seizing up causing the drive belt to slip (and squeal).You will need a new compressor,new filter-dryer/receiver and you will have to have the system flushed,evacuated,+new oil and refrigerant.
I'm not sure I understand how you were able to switch on the AC with what you describe as the AC switch disconnected.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:27 PM   #12
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn View Post
If you had squealing with the engine bogging at the same time it certainly was not the clutch slipping.It was the compressor seizing up causing the drive belt to slip (and squeal).You will need a new compressor,new filter-dryer/receiver and you will have to have the system flushed,evacuated,+new oil and refrigerant.
I'm not sure I understand how you were able to switch on the AC with what you describe as the AC switch disconnected.
I agree. If the AC clutch/compressor is not making any noise when "disengaged" then the compressor itself is seizing up. You said that it was an OldAir kit? - Which I'm assuming uses the Saden style compressor? I would call OldAir and get the new compressor & accumulator. The metal shavings from the compressor will disperse through the AC system and kill the new compressor if not flushed.

I would also ask OLD AIR what THEY recommend for oil type and amount. Some systems have 8oz of oil in the complete system. Lots of guys think you only need a couple oz's in the compressor only - not always true.
-'69 Chevy C30 Mason Dump

-'33Ford P/U 396ChevyPowered
arkracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:28 PM   #13
jfalesi

The cable that I knocked off goes to the blower and kind of disappears. I figure it opens or closes one of those air deflector door thingies. There must also be a switch inside the head unit that is connected to the same lever. So it was turning on the switch (I could hear it click) without the lever connected that must've done the damage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn View Post
Old 10-11-2007, 07:35 PM   #14
jfalesi

I'm not sure it was a buzzing sound, but the alternator was making noise after I reconnected the cable, even with the AC off. Do you mean that knocking the cable off the lever shorted the alternator?

Another twist - next time I tried to start the truck, I connected the negative battery cable (I had left it off for a couple days) and no juice. No cranking, no accessories. Nuthin'. Hmmmm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49m View Post
Your compressor will need a new clutch. Stick your ear on the altenator and if it is rally lound buzzing you will need a new one too. It probaly shorted when you knoked it loose
Old 10-12-2007, 07:50 AM   #15
49m

Your altrnator has died and is not charging if thats what happened. You might be brtter to put an new ac unit on
Old 10-12-2007, 01:37 PM   #16
jfalesi

I still don't understand how a seized compressor or a disconnected cable in the AC head unit could damage the alternator...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49m View Post
Your altrnator has died and is not charging if thats what happened. You might be brtter to put an new ac unit on
Old 10-12-2007, 06:11 PM   #17
49m

I might of just went bad on its own. I could of been using more power to run the ac and it fried the altenator.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:53 AM   #18
OLDIRON69

Narrow some of this stuff down, check the battery and alternator to make sure they are ok. Your clutch in the compressoris toast.
69 Dodge Charger-440/4spd
OLDIRON69 is offline   Reply With Quote