The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2007, 06:59 PM   #1
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

What do you look at in a truck, rod etc?

After readin' the threads on rat rods and Ken's on the rod at SEMA, lets chat on what we like. With the mix here it should be good. Now theres things I like that some won't and vice versa. So no comments are meant to slam if you own or have a project. So I 'll start.... When at a show I look for whats been added or changed, I'm not into a stock look. Nothin' wrong with 'em, Its me. I look for a aftermarket sterrin' wheel, wheels, stereo,or a personal touch. Well placed decal or emblems. Paint cost don't matter as long as it flowed and looks good. Seen many DIY jobs that was good. Primer or flat is cool as long the rest justifies it, straight,good bodywork and run free paint. As far as money is concerned it don't matter, looked at 10-20K to 2-3K and liked the latter as much. But when it comes one that has rust,parts fallin' off crappy interiors etc. Sorry thats not roddin' thats junkin'. Well thats mine its you alls turn!!!! Weasel
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:13 PM   #2
toomanytoyz
Luv the Crewcabs

Re: What do you look at in a truck, rod etc?

I also Like a Modified Look, Like To See Mod's that are Personalized, Rather than just $$$$ shoved into a Ride.........

The Bed on This Truck is an Example of Mod's i Like too See, Thanks for Posting this as I'm Sure it will Bring up A Lot of Different Viewpoints......

Rick

Actually I Love This Truck, The Owner Did an Outstanding Job w/out going over the Top....
Attached Images

67 Fleet
68 Wrecker
68 Suburban
76 Crewcab
79 Gmc Dumptruck
84 Blazer
86 Crewcab Stepside
87 Iroc
89 GMC Plow Truck
91 Camaro Vert
96 Z71 Stepsde
toomanytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:14 PM   #3
dfosh

Im going for mostly stock . i like em low but not on the ground .clean and neet . I also try to talk to the owner ,you can tell if he did it or bought it .But if the owner likes it thats all that really matters . after all ive seen pink cars so someone had to like it.
dfosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:33 PM   #4
wibilly

i would rather see a nice driver, resto mod, or stock resteration even if it's less than perfect , built entirely by it's owner, of course it has to show some craftsmenship and attention to detail, than some money pit trailer queen with all the labor farmed out
Old 11-05-2007, 08:22 PM   #5
streetstar

I like a stock external appearance, and even a stock appearing interior --- but with a nice stance.

Not a fan of bags on my personal ride, -- but i love the way some of the trucks look laid out (not scraping, just nice and low) -- i will most likely stick with mechanical drops on anything i build though

Decent wheels are a must - whatever the flavor of the year is, but there are a few styles that are timeless, and 20's are here to stay.

I like some heat under the hood , and my ideal powerplant would be a 572 Chevy disguised to look period correct for the vehicle.

I guess i would say Ken's (N2TRUX) black '77 probably is the best example of that type of truck i can think of, but there are many others i have seen on here too. (although Ken's is bagged, its not scrapin, as far as i know)
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:24 PM   #6
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

stock, dropped a bit, and still utilized.
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:45 PM   #7
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

I prefer the body and interior to be stock appearing. Wheels and static lowering doesn't matter much to me because that's easily changed. I don't care for hacking them up with C notches and bags, because they don't look good that low to me. I prefer rallys or period correct wheels over big monster 17+ wheels.
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!

Last edited by 67_C-30; 11-05-2007 at 08:47 PM.
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:58 PM   #8
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

i agree with rick... i like to have to find what a some one did.....
bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:19 PM   #9
Ackattack

I like modified, but subtle in some ways. I love it when you know something is different, but not exactly what it is until you study it for awhile. Since I'm building my truck the way I like it I'll give some examples:

I'm going to do power windows....but use a switch that uses the original window crank.
I'm hoping to be able to use a stock AM radio to control the volume, but actually use a car computer to run all of the audio/video in the truck.

In all honesty, a totaly orignal stock truck doesn't look good to me. I can definatly appreciate the hard work that goes into a resto like that, but it's not for me.

I like aftermarket wheels. They're the eye candy of any vehicle. You can take a POS rust out hunk o' junk and put nice wheels on it and it will look 100% better (that may not be a big improvement if its that bad ) I like 17" wheels on these trucks, and really like the way the TT2s on my GMC look. But you also have to have the wheels and tires in proportion to the wheel gap. It's hard to explain it, but when you see it it's right. That's why I have 275/50/17 tires on my truck rather than the much more common 275/40/17s. They just wouldn't look right on my truck with the amount of drop I have. On my 68 I'll be running some 20s with some wide tires. BUt with airbags I'll be able to set the fender gap at the proper level

On the engine, I like lots of different. One thing, it has to be clean. Whether it's a new engine (gen III), polished old school, or original style I like and apreciate all. One thing is I love the cast aluminum valve covers that say "chevrolet" on them. Good thing they make them for the GenIIIs I'll have in my 68. I've never been able to run them before cause I think its just wrong to have chevy valve covers on a GMC.

I also don't like a whole lot of trim (on these trucks) The body lines without trim does it for me. However I've seen some very nice examples with trim.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:23 PM   #10
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I too like the subtle mods.The ones that make you think what's different.I really like mods that are simple but effective.I saw a van years ago that had one of the most unusual mods.It was lowered about 2 1/2-4 but looked almost slammed.The owner had repaired the lower body panels and added a section an 1 1/2 to make the truck look lower.He finally told me what it was after I looked at it for a couple hours at a show.Rounded hood,trunklid and door corners are also a subtle mod if done correctly.Frenching headlights or taillights look good as long as they are done in a style to go with the whole theme.The other thing is the mods need to go together aand blend well,like the final look was planned instead of just throwing as many mods as possible at it.
One instance is chopping,if you're gonna chop something then you gotta lower it.Filling the roof on a streetrod is a good mod but recovering it with a well done insert looks good too.Just don't build a slick smoothie rod then fill the roof insert with leather. Orphan motors give me wood.I like Smallblock chevy's because they are cheap and fit anywhere but it takes perserverance to find speedparts for a Nailhead Buick,Navarro heads for a Flatty or a Caddy air cleaner.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:05 AM   #11
c10addict

To me fit and finish is most important... I have seen alot of awesome cars that you look at and say it is really nice but little details are missing that make or break a vehicle. There is a beautiful high dollar custom 55 chevy I always see with all billet stuff under the hood except it has a set of $20.00 stamped steel valve covers...WHY??? Nothing else on the motor is steel?? Then on the other side of the coin I have seen stuff that everyone thinks why the f would you do that to a car/truck but if you look at it many many hours were spent with some nice fab work but just nasty design.. I feel beauty is in the eye of the guy behind the welder... What attracted me to these trucks were the timeless style! Thats why I preferred to roll with the stock looking exterior with stuff that makes it different but more useable... Thats why I went with power 1 piece windows, Airride and a Tune Port and stuff that makes driving easy and fun.. Thats just me.. I am sure there are many that do not like my rides... THats ok.. I built it for me!
Attached Images

54 GMC under the knife getting a S10 chassis swap and bagged. See my build thread...
07 GMC Sierra 5/7 drop, 22's and 24's Air ride on my mind..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=339340

See pics of my trucks in my profile
c10addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:39 AM   #12
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Thumbs up Re: What do you look at in a truck, rod etc?

I personally like bad ass with attitude type of trucks. Not much into shows and standing around most the day just to see shiny and chrome get the goods at the end of the day.

Short story .... peoples choice,

I was driving my 50' Chevy p/up and pulled over on the side of the road to talk to a buddy. This guy runs out of his house and ask's me if he can look at my truck, I said sure. He takes a look and said wait here and he runs back into his house and comes out with a really nice plaster replica of an old Chevy truck .... said thanks and that he loved my truck and gave it to me. "Now thats peoples choice!"

esll.

It goes with out saying that quality work is par for the course. Best way to learn this is to go to a show or two with some one who is knowledgable and has possibly built a truck or two.
Attached Images

This truck has just the right amount of energy for me!

Author: Warren Lake .... (member)

Last edited by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE; 11-06-2007 at 12:12 PM.
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 01:27 AM   #13
sick69

There are three things I look for in any custom vehicle.

Subtle,,,,,example,,,,, the wrinkle in our core support on the top edge were it bends down to the fender, when removed no one notices but those of us the love these trucks

Clean,,,,,example,,,,, body parts that fit better than factory, welds ground down, no overspray anywhere, tires/wheels that fit the wheel wells, add ons that fit the bodylines, uncluttered, paying attention to little details

Quality,,,,,should go with out saying NO HACK JOBS! IF YOU CAN'T DO IT OR PAY TO HAVE IT DONE RIGHT DON'T DO IT.

I've seen alot of cars/trucks that I didn't really like but had quality work done to them and alot of imagination. I've always liked clean and uncluttered over heavily modified with every modification sold in the magazines. Anyone can buy boxes of parts and bolt them on but custom doesn't come in a box.

Frank

Last edited by sick69; 11-06-2007 at 01:29 AM.
sick69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:19 AM   #14
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

Very good feedback!!! I think in general after bein' around this for awhile you know what a good built ride is. I like to use ''built or buildin'' rather restore, its over used like rat rod.
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:03 AM   #15
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

I guess I really am just looking for something that just seems to "work". Meaning that I can be just as into a bagged truck on 20s or 22s or both as I can a complete stocker. A perfect restoration or a nicely aged/worn truck, either can be great. I guess it is just a "look".

It's just personal preference, but some vehicles just don't seem to work with all of these styles. Some just sucked when they were original, so restoration or aged/worn doesn't help. Bagged/20s isn't right for everything either, especially if that is all that is done.

I'm a believer in the adage "Just because you can...doesn't mean you should."

I do have preferences as far as years, makes, models....but that only makes me more picky about what is done to them. Modifications that are cool and/or inovative on some cars/trucks would be sacrilage on others, but I'm not some purist that thinks that fairly rare models should not be "messed with".

How's that for a long-winded non-answer?........LOL
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:29 AM   #16
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Im a fan of bone stock with the exception of mods that will help make a vehicle safer IE if you had drums all around and you did discs all around or even just on front thats all good... if you put a nice 350 with a 4 speed in a truck that was a six with the three on the tree thats cool but i look the crisp clean lines of the truck.. i dont mind a lift kit on a 4wd as long as you dont make it look like Bigfoot.. i always like chrome on a motor but body and stance and interior should look close to factory as possible

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:03 AM   #17
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I guess I really am just looking for something that just seems to "work". Meaning that I can be just as into a bagged truck on 20s or 22s or both as I can a complete stocker. ....
Longhair gets my vote. I love them all, lowered, lifted, stock or cut to hell.

Regardless of the style, it has to flooooow. It absolutely must have proper proportions, smooth fit and finish, and complete continuity. If it has a gazillion mods they should be executed so well that most of them go unnoticed.

Fit, finish, continuity are mandatory no matter what the style...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:26 PM   #18
Mordachai
Fat Fendered Fleetside

wow, awesome thread.
I personally like to see things that the owners have done themselves and shows their own style, as opposed to paying someone to do cookie cutter modifications.
Of course I love a clean stock looking truck, but also am strongly drawn to trucks that stand out.

Me personally- I am just digging into my 71, first to get rid of all the rust, second to finish up all the things I've been sketching out...
|M|

radiused fiberglass fender project for 67-72
Mordachai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:45 PM   #19
jay-dawg
chevelito

When I was young(er), I was heavily into the minitrucking scene so I was into the big rims and ground scraping stance, adjustable suspensions, pounding sounds, over the top body mods etc etc.

As I got older, my sense of style has gotten more refined and conservative. I now lean towards cars that are built to be driven with suspensions that aren't jarring, but I still like my trucks lowered. I like sound systems that provide quality instead of mass quantity. I don't like easter egg paint jobs. I like small body mods that don't look noticeable at first glance. Engine wise, I like stock engines and newer drivetrains alike....but I never did like engines covered with funky sculptured sheetmetal.

Call it rodstoration or restomod...whatever....it has to be clean and flowing.

Aloha from Honolulu, HI
jay-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:47 PM   #20
haysonj

I like the stock body style but everything else is fair game. Bring it up to modern safety standards and make it functional. Prefer working trucks but I've also seen a few lowered trucks I liked.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:05 PM   #21
Shane
Account Suspended

Quality is something you will recognize when you see it.

Whether it's a 100 point concourse de' elegance type restoration or a flat black on red steelies cruiser, if it's put together "right" then it's cool.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:19 PM   #22
drivethechevy

the thing i look for most in these trucks are a full blown stock appearance with minor modifications, or a custum that to the unknowing onlooker apears to be stock (someday id like to build a stock looking 72 k20 big block with air crew cab), but i also i think that a full out rat rod look, or a patina, or bawls out 4x4 if done correctly can look great to, but the thing i look for in any resto/customization is a theme and how well that theme is caried throught the vehicle no matter what the theme is

1971 chevy k10 custom deluxe
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=341257
1968 chevy k/10 fleet
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=334731
1948 desoto custom coupe fluid drive(family heirloom)
drivethechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:46 PM   #23
big_al_71

low,mean & fast!!!!

Restomod....

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:48 PM   #24
sick69

Personally I like the vehicles that keep you looking because you can't put your finger on what has been changed,,,you just absolutly know something has been. I like both highly modified aswell as stock restos. I personally am going for the subtle changes, some obvious some not so obvious. I can appreciate the work that went into a ride even if I don't like the ride, as long as it was done well and not hacked together.

Above all else a ride has to be CLEAN and OWNER built.
A nice ride thats owner built with a few flaws is far superior to a money pit thats perfect in everyway in my book. Not to mention what it says about the owner.

Anyone can throw money at a shop and tell them to build it. It takes alot of interest,dedication,love,blood,sweat and tears to do it yourself.

Anyway just my thought,
Frank
sick69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:26 PM   #25
chevy29267truck
Account Suspended

i would like a chevy truck to be stock and its ok if the the truck is missing some small parts i know where too find stock so i can do what i want too do too the truck not get a truck where some one has done things too a truck i dont like like cuting a roof down lowering a truck too much too the ground
chevy29267truck is offline   Reply With Quote