The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2002, 09:18 PM   #1
Huck

Unhappy How to ruin a perfectly good truck!!!

Started out by having a rusted out stock single exhaust. Priced duals locally and best price was too high so I checked dealers and LMC (would you believe) had the best price. Ordered and they arrived today. Started to install at 4pm. By 5pm the truck was on fire!!!
Who would have thought that you needed to disconnect the battery to install exhaust--done it dozens of times---but this time---had the truck up on my lift, pulled the old Y pipe and everything was going ok. Opened the box from LMC and it looked like a puzzle of bent pipes and crappy instructions. As I switched the exhaust pipes between left and right, the pass side pipe retainer washer shorted out on the starter which made lots of sparks~~as I tried to shove the big retainer away from the starter, it hit up against the brake line which then started to smoke---then flame""""What to do~~~~no rag to blot it out---no fire extingusher near by----so I blow on it ~~~~~then ran like hell to get the ladder to get up high enough to open the hood to disconnect the battery only to fumble around to find a wrench that would fit the silly side mount battery connections. No idea of how much damage I did to --altinator, fuses, brake lines, starter solonid, etc. Still have to finish the exhaust. May disconnect the battery the next time I change oil, tuneup, empty ashtray, open tailgate, etc. Oui Vey~~~what a day!!!!!!!!
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 09:27 PM   #2
Crank

I'm sorry to hear abour your misfortunes. Seems like some of the simplest things always screw up things the most, sorry. Hope nothin more than you think was injured.
Brandon
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 10:04 PM   #3
lofly'a

sorry to hear about your misfortune huck, but we'll all learn from it. when you get that exhaust on, please post again as to the fit and how you like the exhaust system. i'm considering buying one for my next project in light of what they want locally to do the job.
-2003 YUKON (Wife's)
-71 gmc swb fleet (current project, gonna shave everything, bags, stuff w/ 20's, gen III powertrain)
-48 3100 SWB - 12/31/23 LONG TERM Project
lofly'a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 10:08 PM   #4
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

i think we are karma brothers. sounds like something that would happen to me... sorry dude
mtdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 10:13 PM   #5
MandarinSixSeven
Seasonal Poster

Damn dude, i dont know what to say to that...i feel for you very much, because believe me i get into the dumbest predicaments, like say hooking the fuel line to the vacuum inlet on my new carb, wow! that one hurt, now i have a backfire from it
Kelowna BC, Canada
Member of DTPW
MandarinSixSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 10:31 PM   #6
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Talking

Now you have to update your resume to include fireman! Maybe you can get a raise.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 10:57 PM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Damn, huge bummer.
I know what your talking about, all it takes is one fumble for you to respect the battery.
I was replacing my alt belt one time on the GMC when the charge post grounded out. By the time I figured what I was smelling, the wire going from the alt to the reg and to the bettery, all melted and burned. Then i burned my hand getting the hot gooey mess off of the other wires on the core support.
now I disconnect the bettery for anything...
Still ain't learned about doing 110 stuff though. Still replacing light fixtures with just the wall switch turned off. One day I'll learn about that too i guess.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 11:07 PM   #8
Crank

yeah, anyway how come when you have the wall switch turned off you still get fried? I thought that meant no current was flowing through it, well maybe no current through it, only us. Lol.
Its amazing how fast your arm can move when you've just zapped yourself! When I was a little kid, I used to put long pieces of grass on electric fences-kinda feels like bones in your arm are moving around. AH, those WERE the DAYS!!!!!!
Brandon
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 08:22 AM   #9
bobs409
1969 Custom 30 wrecker

That is bad luck alright! Sounds like you got away lucky though. Hey, let's see pics of where you mount that new fire extinguisher in your garage.

Seriously, you should have one. I keep one in my cars too. It just might save one of my classics one day.

I was driving around one day and saw a car with an under hood fire and the owners just standing there helplessly watching it burn. Within an hour, I had a fire extinguisher in my truck!

63 Impala 283/PG/3.36 (under restoration)
66 Impala 327/PG/3.36
66 Chevelle SS 409/M22/3.55
69 Chevelle 307/PG/3.08 (future restoration)
69 C10 short stepside 454/TH350/3.73
69 Custom 30 tow truck 350/4 spd/4.10 (resto done, CRUISIN TIME!)
71 Cheyenne 20 fleetside 350/4 spd/4.10
71 Chevelle 6/PG/3.08
72 Chevelle 454/M21/4.10
bobs409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 08:40 AM   #10
BrianStep72

I agree. I went out and bought an extinquisher for my truck and have plans to buy one for every classic I drive. These kinds of things just happen and it's better to be prepared than to lose everything.

Doesn't everybody carry a fire extinquisher now?

brian
1972 Chevy C10 Stepside Pickup
1987 Chevy IROC Z28 Camaro 1LE+TPI - racecar
2004 Chevy Tahoe
2013 Chevy Silverado Tow Rig
--------------------------------------
http://www.bowtieracing.org
BrianStep72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 04:31 PM   #11
JoetheMobster
Listening since '86

I say AMEN to fire extinguishers!!!

Case in point:

A few years ago a buddy of mine and I were working on his old Dodge Rampage. We had decided to take it out for a spin, after spending the afternoon working on it. We were driving down the highway, when his cigarette dropped, and rolled underneath his seat! If you've seen these vehicles, there's about 1/2inch between seat and floor, so no hands are getting in!! Luckily my buddy's brother insisted we take a fire extinguisher with us!! It sucked to have to use it, but it was better than watching his ride burn up.....since we had no hotdogs on us, LOL!
Old 10-08-2002, 05:14 PM   #12
Suicide-D

Location: Katy, TX...but the love of my life resides in Dublin,OH.
raises hand....

has a fire extinguisher... seen too many torched cabs.....
Suicide-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 06:20 PM   #13
jamie72

Wink

hate to hear that..if your just going to set the truck on fire you can give it to me.
hope you don`t have to much damage.so did you tell susan yet.bet your in trouble if you did.
later jamie
jamie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 08:46 PM   #14
Blue_71
Bloo

it wasnt the blue one was it? either way sorry to hear about it.. that would really suck if it was the blue one sinse youve already restored it
1971 Chevy Custom/10 (first truck) 350, NV3500 5 speed
1971 Chevy K20 Custom Camper 4x4 350 TBI, SM465/NP205
1974 Chevy Custom Deluxe/10
1979 Chevy Custom Deluxe K10 farm truck beater
1989 Chevy K2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson, Cause I'm a country boy
35s whinin on the asphalt, grabbin mud, throwin up some red dirt
R.I.P. Michael Stilts... I will always love and miss you brother! (9-12-80, murdered 4-9-05)
Blue_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 11:26 PM   #15
Longhorn Man

Naaa, he already has daul pipes on the blue one.
I also carry a fire ext in my ride, but then again, for those of you who has seen it understand why.
In reality though, i saved the old Longhorn from an early death (just to wreck it 1 1/2 yrs later) in the middle of nowhere between Louisville and Cincinati once.
I also put out a fire on my old honda...shouda let that one burn though.
I want to put a flame job on my fire ext in my truck now, but I know as soon as I do that, I'll have to use it and get all p!ssed off.
Old 10-08-2002, 11:38 PM   #16
wxman1

I recently was looking for a CO2 fire extinguisher for my
truck but all I saw at Lowes/Home Depot were these
purple K things. They really make a mess when you use them...
unlike CO2...but I dont know where I can get any.
Any ideas on that?

Jim M.
The weatherman
wxman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 11:38 PM   #17
Blue_71
Bloo

i thought the blue one had duals but i wasnt sure, still sucks though perfect reason for long headers, dont have to get up near that startor!
1971 Chevy Custom/10 (first truck) 350, NV3500 5 speed
1971 Chevy K20 Custom Camper 4x4 350 TBI, SM465/NP205
1974 Chevy Custom Deluxe/10
1979 Chevy Custom Deluxe K10 farm truck beater
1989 Chevy K2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson, Cause I'm a country boy
35s whinin on the asphalt, grabbin mud, throwin up some red dirt
R.I.P. Michael Stilts... I will always love and miss you brother! (9-12-80, murdered 4-9-05)
Blue_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 11:44 PM   #18
wxman1

I recently was looking for a CO2 fire extinguisher for my
truck but all I saw at Lowes/Home Depot were these
purple K things. They really make a mess when you use them...
unlike CO2...but I dont know where I can get any.
Any ideas on that?

Jim M.
The weatherman
wxman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 01:33 AM   #19
too many

Red face

I had an engine fire a couple years ago. ( cracked fuel filter) I NOW have a fire extinguisher mounted on the floor to the left side of the seat, next to the sill plate!!
CHEAP insurance?
Old 10-09-2002, 09:14 AM   #20
Huck

Talking

UPDATE~~~~Well the sparks and fire apparently didn't do any damamge that I could find. Finished the exhaust install and everything actually worked!! Took about 5 hours which was 3 hours too long!!
Now my assessment of the LMC dual exhaust package---the pipes were decent in thickness and bends. BUT----THE DIRECTIONS DESCRIBED PIECES BY NUMBER AND NONE OF THE PIECES HAD NUMBERS ON THEM. THEY DESCRIBED THE TWO MANIFOLD PIPES AS ONE BEING 60" AND THE OTHER 45" ~~~~WRONG---both were 60" and both fit on either side depending on the angle. One hangs down about 1-2 inches lower then the other. It's a shame as it could have been done in half the time instead they wind up loosing a customer. Considering the time and difficulty, I would have been better off paying the local guy $265. for custom duals. Installed the turbo's which are quiet and that's ok with me.
Re. fire extingusihers---I have one in the truck and have another one on the entrance to the barn ---but the truck was 6' high up on a lift and the big one at the door of the barn seemed like overkill--so I just blew the fire out---I'm no Smokey the bear!!

One last final word about this story---my dear old dad who was a mechanic before any of us were born, wore a scar on his wrist that he got when wrist watch metal band shorted out the battery on his car. He couldn't get the watch off fast enough.
Any service work is best done with the battery disconnected!!!!
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 10:39 AM   #21
Jmac05
L.E.D. Tail lights, Baby!

Glad to hear everything worked out. Sounds like you learned a valuable lesson about electrical items. I had a bad + terminal connection. I tried to jump start my truck thinking the battery was dead. I jump started it to my wife's F@rd aspire. The Cables were cheap $9 from Pep-Boys.
I tried to start the truck, and it turned over, but wouldn't kick over. I gout out, and a wall of white smoke met me. The wires of the jumper cables had so much current going through it, the plastic melted completely off! I mean I was left with corroded wires that were almost glowing. The wires melted through my wife's headlight, and the bumper.
Of course nothing bad to my truck, but I was finally able to get a jump from a tow truck, and got it home. I thought I had a starter getting too hot, but it was the power connection. I got a new terminal, and it still isn't 100% right, but I am going to get a solderpot, and just solder everything together.
I also saw that the old terminal was almost melted before I replaced it. "That electrical stuff show is scaaawy..."
If interested, visit:
www.earlyclassic.com
or our website:
www.jmcled.com
All 67-72 GM Taillights are on sale untill 5 p.m. on Dec
15th, with Guaranteed Christmas delivery!

joel.mcwaters@jmcled.com
Jmac05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 10:46 AM   #22
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

When the fire is electical in nature, i.e., a short to ground from the battery, a fire extinguisher is of no use until the short is eliminated. THEN, use the fire extinguisher to put out whatever is still smoldering.

I burned three of my fingers when I pulled the wire from the battery to the alternator, a couple of years ago. I had already emptied the fire extinguisher. All it took was a couple of wiring harnesses, and some repainting, to make everything all better.

Yep, disconnecting the battery is a good idea. Now, if I can just remember to do it!

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 11:27 AM   #23
wlee
Just an Old Mr Goodwrench

One day when I was still in college, my instructor was showing us the "proper" way to clean a battery . . . he poured a baking soda/water mixture on the top to start the chemical cleaning process, then took an air hose & started blowing across the top of the batery - BOOM! The battery exploded - fortunatley, no one was injured (other than the instructor's confidence) It seems that on a dry, cool day, the static electricity is greater than normal, & the air created enough of a spark to ignite the battery. We all learned a lesson that day - respect the battery at all times, and always disconnect it for ANY repair work.
1992 Mazda Miata
wlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 04:38 PM   #24
GMC1967

Ever since me and a buddy set his jeep on fire changing the fuel pump I always have an extinguisher on hand, boy I can still see those flames licking away at the engine. Luckily there was an extinguisher just indside the house he ran in to get, and we put out the flames in record time The damn thing even started afterwards, only real damage was some melted paint, wires survived and everything. But yeah, always good to work with a competant friend on cars.
1958 Oldsmobile Super 88 Fiesta Wagon
GMC1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 10:51 PM   #25
Longhorn Man

Anyone else ever adjust the valves with the engine running and the covers off? If so, have a fire ext handy...wer had the oil ignite on the headers once, and no one had a fire ext there. Took 3 of us to blow it out,a nd once it was out, I passed out from blowing so hard and one of the others fell over almost passed out.
NOT FUN.