The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2007, 10:49 AM   #1
chevguy7

Drop Shocks

I just started working on my truck after having it for four years. I am planning on doing about 3/5 drop with spindles up front and springs in the rear. I am not sure what to do about the shocks. Have any of you ever used drop shocks before? I know brothers carries them. I have heard of using shock relocator kits too. What do you guys think? I will post some pictures of the truck soon.
chevguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:06 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: Drop Shocks

if you use spindles for the front you just use stock shocks in the back you need to use an adjustable panhard bar and shock relocators so you get optimum geometry and you'd need shorter dropped shocks// i've used kby with great results
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:36 PM   #3
BP68

If you do not already have the drop kit I HIGHLY recommend the 4/6 drop kit from Early Classic (ECE). Kit comes complete with all new hardware, drop components, kyb shocks, shock relocators for rear, and a adjustable pan hard bar. Very nice kit.

My build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=269999
BP68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:25 PM   #4
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP68 View Post
If you do not already have the drop kit I HIGHLY recommend the 4/6 drop kit from Early Classic (ECE). Kit comes complete with all new hardware, drop components, kyb shocks, shock relocators for rear, and a adjustable pan hard bar. Very nice kit.

Whoever you choose to use, buy the kit. Dont be like me trying to piece a disc brake package together. Oh yea it worked, but did not save money or time. And I still need a few more parts, brake booster, etc etc.
Buy a complete kit.
VDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:18 PM   #5
chevguy7

I have heard a lot of good things about the ECE drop kits. What kind of disc brakes do you guys use for the ECE kit? I also thinking about what it would take to piece together a drop kit but maybe after hearing what you have to say I probably won't. Also, is it possible to get away with not using shock relocators?
Old 12-06-2007, 06:35 PM   #6
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevguy7 View Post
I have heard a lot of good things about the ECE drop kits. What kind of disc brakes do you guys use for the ECE kit? I also thinking about what it would take to piece together a drop kit but maybe after hearing what you have to say I probably won't. Also, is it possible to get away with not using shock relocators?
Out here in Los Angeles, we have a auto parts chain called Kragen, everywhere else its called Parts America, or Checkers CSK, something like that. I piece together, disc brakes, rotors, tie rods, upper and lower, upper and lower ball joints, dustcaps, brake lines etc all for $385.
Then got a Lowering and handeling kit from Classic Performance Products which is great. But I made so many trips back and forth to both stores because some things were not compatiable. I spent the same amount of money if not more by not buying it complete.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:13 PM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDOG View Post

Whoever you choose to use, buy the kit. Dont be like me trying to piece a disc brake package together. Oh yea it worked, but did not save money or time. And I still need a few more parts, brake booster, etc etc.
Buy a complete kit.
The kits are a dbl edged sword though, especially when you don't live close enough & must have the 'kit' shipped.

Say that power booster that came w/your kit goes bad in a year. You're going to have to go down to the local parts store to get another one (which means pay for another one). I bought my stuff local (& w/a warranty). When my booster started acting up, I removed it & exchanged it for another @ no charge. I had the truck repaired the same afternoon.

Alot of the front disc swap parts I used (mstr. cyl, pwr booster, calipers, rotors & pads) came w/a lifetime warranty & I use that to my fullest ability vs. paying twice.

Food for thought.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 12-06-2007 at 08:14 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:19 PM   #8
clemson71guy

Quote:
if you do a 5 inch drop in the back you will need shock relocators
i read somewhere that the angle on the shocks wasent sopposed to be more than 15 degreese if you want full travel out of your shocks
i need them on mine but i dont have them. i have a 4 inch drop and my shocks sit at a 28 degree angle but im not going to be hauling anything that heavy.
clemson71guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:31 PM   #9
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Quote:
The brakes that ECE includes in their kits use stock Delco components,calipers, pads, rotors (5-lug), etc. Replacement parts are as near as your closest parts store. Their spindles allow for stock tie rod ends to be used.

Shock relocators are recommended for any rear end that is lowered 4 inches or more. Otherwise, the shock angles will be too extreme to allow them to work properly. The adjustable track bar is also recommended for 4-inch and more drops. The stock panhard rod will force the rear axle to be offset more to one side, instead of centered under the chassis, unless you can shorten the stock bar.

Lowering the front with spindles will still let you use stock-length shocks.

I have the ECE 2.5 lowering spindles up front and a 4-inch lowering stuff out back, with the shock relocators and adjustable track (panhard) bar.

For the record, my '69 with coils outrides my '96 with leaf springs. It also out handles it.

I have also found Early Classic Enterprises to be very helpful when you have questions, even if it means that you buy something from someone else. Their customer service is top-notch. I received the wrong spindles and they shipped out the right ones, and sent labels for the return of the wrong ones. Godfather's wasn't nearly as cordial to work with when I got the stuff to lower the '96.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.

Last edited by ChevLoRay; 12-06-2007 at 08:33 PM.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:07 PM   #10
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
The kits are a dbl edged sword though, especially when you don't live close enough & must have the 'kit' shipped.
Alot of the front disc swap parts I used (mstr. cyl, pwr booster, calipers, rotors & pads) came w/a lifetime warranty & I use that to my fullest ability vs. paying twice.
Food for thought.

Dont get me wrong if I had to do it all over again, I probably still would piece mine together. Since it was my first time, mistakes were made and some of the items I needed I did not think to included them in the build.
My problem came with the tie rods, I bought CPP adjustable tie rod sleeves, that have left hand threads, so they did not work with the auto parts store brand.
I hate mail ording parts, so im in agreement with you on that issue.
For me I just wound up spending the same $1500 more or less than if I bought the kit. And still need a brake booster. Can get one for a little over $100 at the loca parts store, but do not come with the brackets, they charge you around $75 at CPP for them.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:27 PM   #11
Shock_Me

I agree with all the good ECE comments. I've installed 3 4/6 drops so far, and all went very smoothly. It's quality stuff. Yes, shock relocators are required in the rear, and the kit comes with those as well as the proper KYB shocks.

Pete
Shock_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 04:56 PM   #12
chevguy7

Thanks for all of the input. Do you any of you guys have pictures of your 4/6 drops?
Old 12-07-2007, 05:33 PM   #13
Slammed70

Im running Lakewood 90/10 shocks up front....
Old 12-07-2007, 07:03 PM   #14
68 P.O.S.

I'd go with the ECE kit as well. I went the hard way and I still don't have a complete kit. For the braking material (discs & pads), ECE uses Raybestos so I should be somewhat easy to get replacements at a parts store.