The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2007, 07:08 PM   #1
72ChevyAZ
LWB Club

Truck repairs.....

Hello all! I am new here and a proud owner of a 72 1/2 ton Custom. I bought this truck from a neighbor on Thanksgiving day a few weeks ago. I have been wanting a 72 for a LONG time now. I had always been eyeballing this truck in my neighbors driveway and when I saw it for sale...well, here I am $2,500 later. The truck is in pretty good shape. The bed floor has most of the rust, rocker panels look good, front left inner fender well has rust as well as the rear cross support for the bed. Doors look like they have a very minor rust spot in the cornors (guess well see when I tear into it more).
I expected to have some mechanical repairs right from the start but for the price I paid, i didn't mind.
Sooo, a few days later I took the truck down to my mechanic and had him go underneath it from bumper to bumper. Here's where I am at:

New Radiator, Cap, Powerflush, Thermostate, Coolant, Transmission seal, trans filter, O-rings, trans fluid, Fuel filter, Fuel Pump, Rebuild Eddlebrock carb, spacer, Flywheel cover (was missing), Gearing box, Rag Joint, Pressure hose, Valve cover gaskets, Timing cover, Front crank seal, Oil pan gasket.....and this morning when they lifted the truck in the air on a different lift (not supporting the wheels) one of the rear tires just kept dropping and dropping. Come to find out that one of the brackets to hold the coil spring in place was MISSING!
I love this truck and i am happy to get these things fixed BUT, there is a reason why i don't do my own mechanical work. If i did, the truck would end up just as I have it now, a mess!
I am looking forward to learning as much as I can and this board very helpful. I am more into interior and body work than mechanical.

Whats this post about? I don't know. I guess a rant. I just can't wait to get my ugly purple truck back so I can start working on the body and interior. Mechanically it will be good to go. On the outside.....I will need all the help i can get!
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2007, 07:27 PM   #2
brianthelion02
Overdrive club

Re: Truck repairs.....

I hope youre not payin a shop to do all this work!!!!!!!!!!

1951 3100 chevy

1970 chevy c-30 Sold!
brianthelion02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:41 PM   #3
72ChevyAZ
LWB Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianthelion02 View Post
I hope youre not payin a shop to do all this work!!!!!!!!!!
If I knew how to do it myself I would. Unfortunalty....I don't know much about mechanics.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:54 PM   #4
brianthelion02
Overdrive club

Hmmm,well,aint but one way to learn!!!!!!!!!!!!!Id be more than happy to show ya!!!!!!!!!Be a whole lot cheaper !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1951 3100 chevy

1970 chevy c-30 Sold!
brianthelion02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:48 PM   #5
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

if you were closer i would be all over a barter thing. I need lots of help with body work. the mechanicals are no sweat for me.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:54 PM   #6
72ChevyAZ
LWB Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C15 View Post
if you were closer i would be all over a barter thing. I need lots of help with body work. the mechanicals are no sweat for me.

Brianthelion02- Well, in the future I will have to have you teach me some things. i am sure there will be plenty more repairs.

68C15- i am no body expert my no means. it is just an area that i have more interest in learning.