The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2002, 10:12 PM   #1
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

Pro's and con's of using a vette rear end.

I was thinking of trying to use a corvette rear suspension or a Jag too. Anyone ever try it, or know someone who has?? I know there would be a lot of fab work to get it in there, but it would be cool to have independent rear suspension. I have seen them on ebay for as little as $200. Would it be worth trying?

Thanks guys

jmanz6
jmanz69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 12:05 AM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

The weight of the truck alone would dang near kill one. Let alone if you ever put anything in the back bigger than your dog.
As you mentioned, the fab work would be many MANY hrs.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 12:17 AM   #3
mikep
Used to have a truck

The corvette dana 44 is a good rear end and I cant see that you would kill it by putting 3500 lbs over it. Corvetttes never were really lightweights anyway especially later into the 70's and Lord knows they stuffed some big motors in them vettes without a problem . Besides that IH and Jeep put the same rear end under many of their similar weight vehicles. Since a vehicle such as yours would probably never be used for towing or hauling **** to the dump I'd say go for it. It would look cool although I can't really see the practical side of it.

Last edited by mikep; 10-18-2002 at 12:24 AM.
mikep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 06:39 AM   #4
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

I agree that it would not be very practical, but I bet it would improve the handling. No solid axle to bounce around would have to be better. I saw an article where a guy put a corvette front and rear suspension under his 55ish truck. That's what gave me the idea. I was hoping someone had some picks of one in one of our trucks. But it would be a big job. Just something a little different.

Keep 'em coming guys. I want your opinions, even though I may not agree with them. It's good to hear what everyone thinks.

thanks
Old 10-18-2002, 07:54 AM   #5
jflem3

Vette rearend

the vette rear end is definitely a do-able project

I would recomend a later model one with the aluminum superstructure I think 84-up although I've heard that the rear was carry-over and went to aluminum in 80. Although be careful many of the automatic trans equipped vettes had Dana 36's in them.(they become questionable above 400hp in a vette.) the manual trans Vettes had the 44 in them.(reliable to 500 hp.) also, I would switch to coil-over shock arrangement and lose the leaf spring, it will make the installation easier.

69 Camaro SS LT-1/6-spd
71 C-20custom deluxe burb 402/400
(gonna get back to it)
72 C-10base burb 350/3-spd
79-VW Scirocco GT-3 race car 2.0L/5-spd
02 chevy suburban LT Supercharged dropped on 22's
jflem3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 08:02 AM   #6
DeepPurple
Real Deep...

Jag rearend

I do believe that the IRS would definitely improve the handling whether it be out of a corvette or a jag. And if you polish it all up it makes a heckuva conversation piece.

On to my reccomendations.
Do not buy the jaguar suspension. Not because it can't handle the weight/power because I'm sure it will do that (An XJ-6 with the 300hp I6 would make an excellent donor) but for 3 reasons.

1) Initial cost will be higher and finding the right donor vehicle (the XJ-6 I think would be the best) will be harder. Then add in more expensive parts if/when something breaks

2) Inbound brakes have a few problems. They're hard to change (which you can figure out from looking at them) and in heavier vehicles (read: 1967-72 Chev/GMC) they tend to cause the vehicle to rock back and forth for some time. (If you've ever ridden in a hummer you know this feeling).
Another problem is if you have a gas tank in front of them they sometimes won't get adequate cooling.

3) If you ever decide to upgrade the suspension to make it even better handling it is both easier and cheaper to do it on a corvette IRS.

Although I do have to admit Heidt's does make one pretty suspension...

1976 GMC K5 Jimmy (Big Blue)
400/TH350
Coming soon to a drive-in near you...

We have done So Much with So Little for So Long..
We are now qualified to do Anything with Nothing.
DeepPurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 08:10 AM   #7
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

Next question

What about the front. Should I maybe try to put the corvette front in too, or think maybe the truck front could be changed enough to work OK. I am thinking along the lines of lowering it enough to make it look right. without bump-steer.

Want to get my idea complete before I go looking for parts.
Old 10-18-2002, 08:37 AM   #8
Jeff M.

I saw one on a '56 Fo*d pickup at a cruise about a month ago. He used the transverse leaf spring and coil overs. He also shortened the axle tubes to get the width he wanted. Looked pretty sweet. He was using the engine and trans too along with the Vette computer. I think he did something else for the front end and didn't use the Vette.
Old 10-18-2002, 05:56 PM   #9
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

TTT

I want some more opinions please. I'm leaving for 2 weeks in Germany and want some stuff to think about while I'm sitting in a boring class for the next 2 weeks. Keep 'em coming!
Old 10-18-2002, 06:32 PM   #10
tom hand
CCRider

I went to Super Chevy in Memphis and there was a Black 72 with a newer vette IRS in it. Don't know if it helped the handling but it sure looked trick. I say go for it.
Old 10-18-2002, 07:04 PM   #11
Alexis
Member since 2000

it will help wiht handling as long as you setup of the coil tension right. so you might have to play with it to get just about right. i say go for it. it will look badass, you get to brag about it, and its just cool. i wish i could do somthing like that but not now. But i say go for it. That would be a true Sports Truck. maybe you should in the suspesion nascar trucks run.
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote