The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2008, 11:51 AM   #1
red02chevy

86 Silverado build thread

I am a member on another forum and I am just going to copy and paste my post from there.

I am very stoked about this truck. I had a bagged 02 silverado that laid frame on 22" Boyd wheels and i sold it to build this thing. Please let me know what you guys think. Hopefully it will turn on kinda nice.

well i was looking on my photobucket and figured that i should make a project thread for my c10. since i as finally able to sell my red truck hopefully i will be able to finish this truck by the end of the year.

The truck started out as an 82 but i am switching cabs and everything to make all the 86 wiring and what not work.

at first i took it to my buddies shop just to build a 6link for it. well one thing turned into another and now my frame is completely stripped and is sitting in front of my house on my trailor on it's way to the sand blaster in the morning.

I am doing everything on this truck the absolute best i can. the truck is going to be bagged with the stock gas tanks and nothing is going to touch the ground, the rear suspension was built with towing in mind. the exterior of the truck is going to be stock black with all stock trim and molding. every single thing is going to be stock. the interior is going to be black with the stock bench covered in black leather. it will have all the stock trim inside but all the plastic and carpet and everthing will be black. the bed floor is going to be raise to retain the stock look. I will be keeping the stock a/c and moving it/cutting it to make it work. the stock inner fender wells are going to be raise and what ever i have to do to make them look stock. I am even going to make sure i can reinstall the jack and sticker on the driver side one. I am going to be running stock 15" steel wheels with skinny white tires. I am going to have my dad rebuild the motor and tranny to stocl specs.

Onto the pictures.
Here is the day we brought it home.

getting ready to pull the front end off
red02chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:54 AM   #2
red02chevy

Re: 86 Silverado build thread

After we got the tank mount, 4link and panhard placed we decided to go all out on the truck so we pulled the cab and then the motor and tranny. while we were doing that we were still working on the cantilever system.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:54 AM   #3
red02chevy

got the cab pulled off and sat to the side

more of the frame

Old 01-21-2008, 11:54 AM   #4
red02chevy

Old 01-21-2008, 11:55 AM   #5
red02chevy

Old 01-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #6
red02chevy

I found some more random pictures of the shop with my frame in it.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #7
red02chevy

Well I finally found someone that would do everything that i needed done. He is going to be able to start on everything on monday and hoprefully be finished up by thursday. He is doing all the parts that i have pictured for $275. I think that is a damn good price for everything that he will be doing. Here are some pictures I took today.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:57 AM   #8
red02chevy

6link and panhard bars

Mcgaughy's 3 inch drop spindles

15" steel wheels

brand new front rotors and rear drums

tranny crossmember and bumper brackets

drive shaft, crossmember and steering linkage
Old 01-21-2008, 11:58 AM   #9
red02chevy

got all the parts back from the blaster. I also went and picked up all the stuff that I need to paint the frame. I just have to make sure that it's going to be as low as i want it with the ART control arms, do the rear shock mounts, and the rear bump stop mounts. Hopefully the frame will be painted by this weekend.

There will be more progess tomorrow so I'll be sure to take my camera. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:59 AM   #10
red02chevy

last night I bolted all the front suspension up to make sure it was going to be as low as I wanted (when it was put together before it was all blasted I didn't have my ART control arms) It is going to be perfect. The washer on the control arm is going to be about 1/4" off the ground when layed out. Nothing will touch the ground when the truck is aired out. Everything will be damn close but absolutely nothing will touch. Here's the pictures from last night.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:00 PM   #11
red02chevy

tonight we got the shocks and bump stops mounted. When we pull the lower the lower bars we'll completely weld the lower shock mounts. Now we have to have a few more things blasted and then everything will be ready to start painting. I am ready to see the frame all painted and then start pumbing and wiring it and then start rebuilding the motor and have the tranny rebuilt.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:00 PM   #12
red02chevy

Old 01-21-2008, 12:01 PM   #13
red02chevy

UPDATE:

Okay I haven't touched the truck in a while. Work has been kicking my ass and the guy that owns the shop has been working and working on cars in his off time.

I changed my mind and decided to powdercoat everything instead of painting it. I dropped the frame off today and will drop off the rear end and 6link bars on monday. Hopefully they will be able to finish them by the end of the week. After I get all that put together I will take the rest of the parts. I just don't want freshly powdercoated parts laying around waiting to get ****ed up by some dumbass.

I have finally bought EVERYTHING for the frame. I mean I got brand new calipers, rotors, drums, wheel cylinders, brakes, brake springs, wheel bearings, etc. I have spent way more money then I planned on but the truck will be super nice when done.

When my dad and I bought the first c10 we planned on building the truck together. Well we found out quickly that would not work. We wanted to do too many different things and agrued 24/7 about it. Well the other day he told me that I could have all the parts and his truck. Well his truck is at paint right now getting sprayed so that means that he gave me the paint job too.

I was going to put a stock '86 350 in it but since I am saving all the money for paint I am going to find a '90-'91 suburban and pull the wiring harness, motor, tranny, gauges, etc out and put it in mine.

After that i the only things that i will need is to do the interior and get all the trim and molding for the exterior.

The build will still probably take a lot longer then I hoped for but will be 10 times better when it's complete then it was going to be.

I will post pictures of the frame and everything when I get it back from the powdercoating.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:02 PM   #14
red02chevy

alright well these past few days have been crazy.

The other day I looked over on FSC and found a 88 burban with a tbi 350/700R4 for sale for $500. Well after talking to the guy I ended up loading up the crew cab and trailer and made the 900 mile round trip to pick it up. (drove 7 hours there, loaded the suburban, drove to austin, went and hung out on 6th street, woke up the next morning at 4, drove 7 hours home, then worked 10 hours) I ended up getting it for $350. ****ing suburbans are light at all. I am damn glad that I had my helper bags on my crew. The truck pulled the 5000lb burb and tailer better then a stock height truck. Hopefully in the next few weeks i will be able to pull the motor, tranny, dash and wiring harness and then hauling the rest off to the scrap yard.

As soon as i get those parts pulled the tranny will be getting rebuilt and the motor will be taken completely apart and overhauled.

Then today after work I went and picked up my frame from the powdercoaters. It is nice to see it finally coated after it sat for so long. The rear end and rear suspension probably wont be done until next week some time. Oh well I am not in that big of a hurry for this thing to be done.

I got my tank and compressors mounted then I called it a day.

Here is a picture of the sun coming up. I think it was about 6:15 that morning.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:02 PM   #15
red02chevy

Old 01-21-2008, 12:03 PM   #16
red02chevy

Old 01-21-2008, 12:03 PM   #17
red02chevy

What the hell are these parts doing in the bed of my truck :think:

Bastards did my wheels semi-gloss black instead of gloss black. I will be taking them back next week to redo.

Better photos to come later.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:04 PM   #18
red02chevy

A took a couple of pictures today of all the parts with the bushings and **** installed. I guess these parts will chill right there until my wheels, axles, and drums are done. I also have to go pull the rear end out of one of my other trucks and set everything back up.

I am going to drop my shocks off at the painters on monday and hopefully I can have all the rear suspension under the truck within a few weeks.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:55 PM   #19
bad_burb

Nice. Can't wait to see more progress

'74 Fleetside 350/TH350 (SOLD)
'69 Nova 350/TH350 (project FOR SALE)
'63 Nova 305/TH350 3.73 posi (the wife's project)
bad_burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:55 PM   #20
79GMC_OLDS

wow incredible work...i know im jealous
that looks like a pretty cool shop
Old 01-21-2008, 02:35 PM   #21
pcmcobra

sick!!!!
Nice job, can't wait to see it done!

Miami...Flee it like a native
pcmcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:25 AM   #22
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Looks awesome! I really like the "appearence" of simplicity in the rear suspension. The closer you loook the more you realize what been done.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 01-22-2008 at 04:26 AM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:25 AM   #23
red02chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_burb View Post
Nice. Can't wait to see more progress
Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79GMC_OLDS View Post
wow incredible work...i know im jealous
that looks like a pretty cool shop
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmcobra View Post
sick!!!!
Nice job, can't wait to see it done!
I can't wait to get the frame all back together and the cab and front end back on it. I am going to have the front end and cab in bare metal hopefully in a couple of months. Then do the tubs and repair the rusted cab corners. Then pull it back apart and do have the cab and front end painted, paint the motor and tranny, wire the cab and motor up, interior, replace all exterior trim and molding, then the bed and after that drive the damn thing everywhere. I can't wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Looks awesome! I really like the "appearence" of simplicity in the rear suspension. The closer you loook the more you realize what been done.
Thanks a lot. I want the whole truck to be simple. It's not going to have any big wheels, crazy paint, bright led tail-lights, etc. It is just going to be stock looking and low.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:01 AM   #24
TimE
Hey Y'all!!

Wow! Outstanding so far. Keep up the good work!
TimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:32 AM   #25
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

Looks great so far. Keep up the good work!
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote