The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2008, 12:23 PM   #1
tyjoja

clutch prob

Hey, parked my 73 out in the shop in late fall, and haven't done much with it other than start up and let run every 2-3 weeks, and was doing that today when I thought I'd move it a little, shoved the clutch in and couldn't get it in gear. clutch feels the same and sounds fine but is'nt working. shut the truck off and put it in 2nd and hit the key and it moves with the starter. could the clutch plate and the pressure plate got stuck together from sitting over the winter? It's always been fine and I've never had trouble. thanks for any help in advance, bob
tyjoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:29 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: clutch prob

i had a problem where the clutch fork wasnt working right once and that did a similar thing in my 76
i have heard of clutches and pressure plates rusting together tho

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
f.monroe

That truck should have mechanical linkage so it shouldnt be a hydraulic issue . Sounds like the disk is stuck to the flywheel . You could try setting the park brake , hold the brake pedal to the floor , and bump the starter a couple times to see if it will brake it loose . I would disconnect the coil/distributor to make sure it doesnt crank . Make sure you use a gear that will take you in a safe direction if it moves too much . My bosse tractor did this and he had me go to his house to check it out . I started it in gear and pointed it in a safe direction . I pushed the clutch pedal , stood on the brakes and throttle at the same time and it unstuck the clutch disc . No problems since and that was at least 3 years ago . His did this after a season of sitting . Frank
Old 02-14-2008, 02:11 PM   #4
tyjoja

thanks guys, and yes monroe it is mechanical linkage, I'll try your trick tomorrow, appreciate it, bob
Old 02-14-2008, 02:21 PM   #5
89 crew

Put the truck in high gear, hold the clutch down, hit the key, short time each time till it pops loose.
89 crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:55 PM   #6
tyjoja

hey guys, got home from work and was going to try the suggestions from crew and monroe and the clutch worked fine, just like it always has. Not sure what happened or why it stopped but am thankful and will start and move it more often. thanks bob
Old 02-15-2008, 02:07 PM   #7
89 crew

Bob, What it did wasn't that big of a deal. It will happen to any clutch that is left setting. Glad the advice helped. What it did to you was the disk got (for lack of a better word) rusted to the pressure plate and flywheel. By putting the stress against it, it had no choice but to break loose. The fabric of the disk is hooked to the disk better than it is hooked to either the pressure plate or the flywheel, it had no choice but to work.
89 crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:24 AM   #8
tyjoja

thanks for the explanation crew, bob