The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2008, 12:21 AM   #1
Poopski

Electric window question(s)

I ripped off the little metal connectors that go on the back of the switch on a couple of the wires and need new ones. Parts store doesn't have them anyone know what else I can do. Or even what I'm talking about, they're hooked shape...

Oh yeah and can anyone tell me how to get the window down if it isn't the switch that's the problem.

I'm dedicated to fixing the problems in the door since I ripped the old door panel in half , while taking it off.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:49 AM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Electric window question(s)

well youre prolly going to have to go to the boneyard and take the back off of an older gm car as i think they were part of the harness if anyone would have them look on the red cards marked HELP
Usually the problems are bad grounds but you have to check to see if you have power to the switch first to the drivers side then the passenger side then to the motor
if the motor has power you could need to just lube the tracks

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:58 AM   #3
Poopski

I tested with a volt meter there is power to the switch, figured I'd try a new switch first and see what happens. The pass. side window was always real slow, but the drivers side worked great then one day(in the middle of summer) it stopped. What I need is the piece that crimps around the bare wire and connects to the prongs on the back of the switch. To see if it is actually the switch or something else. Parts store doesn't carry anything like it.

Another question I'd like to ask, how do you take off the vent window latch, its all busted and doesn't close the vent window all the way and I want to replace it.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:36 AM   #4
Poopski

I checked the red wire(furthest to the left) and the black(that isn't situated with the others) and it gave me 12 volts, reconnected the red wire, there are two wires for each side of the switch so I left one on and the other connected to the volt meter for one side, hit the button 12 volts and it worked on both side like this. When both driver side wires are touching the terminals on the switch and button engaged the motor makes a clicking noise every time I push it. It did this with the old switch so I guess the problem was something else the whole time, go figure. Would the clicking mean the motor is no good or what?
Old 02-26-2008, 03:43 AM   #5
spoon
Registered Penetrator

You check your fuses?
spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:45 AM   #6
Poopski

Nope. I'll have to figure out which one it is then I'll check it.

Does nobody have advice on getting the window down if I can't get the motor working???
Old 02-26-2008, 09:05 AM   #7
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

if theres power to the wires its not a fuse.. the passenger side id try to lube it some on the tracks using a waterbased lube or something thats not going to get all over the glass
id go tot he junkyard and get some good connections from a junker and splice them into the harness and see where that gets you... if there is clicking under the dash that is the relay if there is clicking from the motor that is a bad motor

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
Old 02-26-2008, 09:06 AM   #8
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

you can pop out the motor and then the window will be free in the channels which means you will have to duct tape it up if you need it up but you will be able to lower it if needed.... um the easy fix is to switch to manual windows lol

I hate cancer!!
Old 02-26-2008, 12:00 PM   #9
spoon
Registered Penetrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
if theres power to the wires its not a fuse..

Oh, I thought he said that there was no power to the switch. Could be faulty wiring or burned motor.
spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:28 AM   #10
Poopski

Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it turns out or if I have more questions.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:01 AM   #11
Poopski

All the junkyards around here don't have what I need. Would suburbans or vans have the same connections I'm looking for or are they different?
Old 03-03-2008, 10:16 AM   #12
us111

hello,i'm not sure exactly what u are saying,but any electric supply store,or radio shack etc has any kind of wire end u can think of,,,,or you could get a cheap soldering iron and solder it on? also try some wd40 or whatever spray it down the window channel,if u have power it's probably just stuck,,just a thought,,,hope u get it working..
us111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:36 AM   #13
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
you can pop out the motor and then the window will be free in the channels which means you will have to duct tape it up if you need it up but you will be able to lower it if needed.... um the easy fix is to switch to manual windows lol
Another option to the duct tape is to use some wood stock at the proper length and prop the bottom of the window from inside the door. Use a couple of wood screws through existing holes in the door to hold the wood stock in place. In the meantime, if you're leaving the door panel off, you could remove the wood stock prop to drop the window.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:45 AM   #14
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopski View Post
I checked the red wire(furthest to the left) and the black(that isn't situated with the others) and it gave me 12 volts, reconnected the red wire, there are two wires for each side of the switch so I left one on and the other connected to the volt meter for one side, hit the button 12 volts and it worked on both side like this. When both driver side wires are touching the terminals on the switch and button engaged the motor makes a clicking noise every time I push it. It did this with the old switch so I guess the problem was something else the whole time, go figure. Would the clicking mean the motor is no good or what?
It sounds like a motor issue. I took mine apart to get to the electric brushes. I replace the brushes instead of the motor last May. It's still working. But, I plan on replacing the motor in the future. Here's a bit more information about it.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:33 PM   #15
Poopski

I need a camera...

Thanks for the info boxrodz.

Last edited by Poopski; 03-03-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Poopski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:10 PM   #16
1984 swb chevy

I have a similar problem with my pass window. There is power to the motor in the up position but not in the down position. I changed the motor and the switch. Still have the same problem. I have a short in the harness because I loose ground to the motor in the down position. Did you check your ground?
1984 swb chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:05 AM   #17
Poopski

If you could tell me where that is I'll check it, I'm novice at just about everything.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:15 AM   #18
capt. camaro

Hey, I have had the same problem in the past. I have ten of the terminal ends that you are needing. I will take $1.00 apiece for them. Contact me @ conoso@aol.com if you are interested. Thanks, Bob
capt. camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:26 PM   #19
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Poopski:
Make sure you check the wireing inside the door to "A" pillar conduit. The wires break all the time, especially on the drivers side. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:09 AM   #20
Poopski

Still trying to get it working thanks for the advice so far guys.