The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2008, 10:35 AM   #1
slepysal

Trans dip stick vent !!!

So my transmision was leaking from the dipstick. I decided to buy a chrome one , un bolt my old one, bolt in the new one.Nope, the dip stick was bolted to the far inner part of the head, I couldnt get a wrench on it, much less lossen it ! Sure as snot the sun went down and Im left working by flash light. I gave up trying to get to the bolt and "gently" wigled the tube untill the mounting tab broke off. I figuerd I just get a new bolt and bolt it were it should go.
I pulled the dip stick tube out and then I hear a gurguling noise , yup tranny fliud spilling out ! I pushed the old tube back in , and spent a good 1/2 hour cleaning up the spill.
There I feel better I'll finish tomorow time, for a cold one
Thanks for letting me vent

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:47 AM   #2
Russell
Professional Grade

Re: Trans dip stick vent !!!

If I had a dollar for every time I've accidentally pulled a dip stick out and spilled fluid all over the place, I'd be a rich man!

Don't usually get a lot on the floor, cause to get that bolt out you have to lie under the truck just under the starter and incidentally where the dip stick goes into the transmission, so I usually get a nice ATF bath...

Another reason for switching all my rigs to standard!
Old 03-07-2008, 09:43 PM   #3
Frosty
Under desk

Re: Trans dip stick vent !!!

I feel for you brother. I often fall in to the "looks easy enough" trap. Next thing I know it 3 days later and the jobs still not done.