The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2008, 04:01 AM   #1
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Opinions Wanted on Engine Choice.

Hey all.

I'm not quite ready to start an engine rebuild, but I figure it can't hurt to start to get a tenative plan in mind.

My options are either to freshen my current 307, or build a 292.

The 307 would probably just get rings and bearnings, just a quick bump for it. intake would more than likely stay stock, due to finances. heh.

The 292 would get the same freshening up, with rings, bearings, possibly a quick valve lap and guide seals. It would also get an Offenhauser 3x1 triple single intake that i've been sitting on for a couple years now, along with headers which i have, and possibly a cam.

I'm leaning towards the 292, but I've always been bias to a smooth running 6.

This is intended to be a Daily Driver, worked like a truck is supposed to be worked.

the other basic specs of my truck are in my sig, so you know that it's a 3 on the tree, and a 3.07 rear.

Any opinions would be appreciated on this.

thanks in advance guys!

-Sam.

Quote:
Screw patina... it's a beater...Beaters are cool.
my build thread - Project Homebrew:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=242993
samwise68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:09 AM   #2
bhoeger70

Re: Opinions Wanted on Engine Choice.

I would be willing to bet the 307 would get better gas milage and have as good or better power.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:50 AM   #3
Green Machine

If you do the 307 I'll bet it needs more than rings. My 307 ran good before the overhaul, but it had huge ridge at the top of the bore, took a .060 over bore to clean it up, not a problem because they have fairly thick cylinder walls. I think they had a softer cast iron in the block.

Also had to put new guides, hard seat and new exhaust valves in the the heads. Spent a lot of $$$ on a set of low perfomace small valve heads. Just something to think about.
2001 GMC Sierra 1500 C3 6.0
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:18 AM   #4
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

I'd stick with the 307 as well. The 292's are pretty gas greedy as it is and the carb set up you want will make it even worse. 307's with a little tinkering can be made into a pretty strong running engine that is pretty good on gas. You already have headers, so a mild cam and a 4 bbl intake with smaller Q-jet off like a late 70's 305 is a good set-up. If you use some small cam like the Sealed Power CS1014R, it will actually gain a little HP and mileage. If you decide to go that route, let me know. I have tons of stock Q jet intakes laying around, and I'll give you one if you pay for the ride.
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:28 AM   #5
Gray Ghost

Yep...especially on a work truck, I'd never go with a six...the 307 would be a better choice for both power and mileage.

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 03-20-2008 at 06:28 AM.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:44 AM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

If you do the 307, I'd say screw those heads, and get some 80's 305 heads. The cc's are pretty much the same, and these already have the upgrades for unleaded fuel.
Not to mention they would be 10 - 20 years newer.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 01:07 AM   #7
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Wow, thats quite the support for the 307, which really makes me question the 292 build.

the thing that has me leaning towards the 6, is that i can build it while still driving my truck. plus, my dad has always wanted to build up a 292, and things are falling into place for that to potentially happen.

i suppose it's a judgement call on my part, eh? hah.

time to make a list of pro's and con's...

thanks guys! keep the opinions coming!

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 03-21-2008, 01:24 AM   #8
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

My opinion(for what it's worth) is that everyone has a bellybutton.meaning that you wont often find a 6 at a car show just rows of smallblocks with an occassional big block.I think the cool factor for a 6 is way up there.But that's just me.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:24 AM   #9
TP from Cntl PA

Wow, would have expected the opposite I'd have thought...........I've had trucks with everything from 250's to 292's, to 305's, to 350's to 454's. If I had a choice between a 292 and a 307, I'd go with the Inline. That 292 would walk on that 307 without a doubt IMO. Now, understand, you said your going to "Work" your truck............I don't call driving to work and back home again "Work"..........Work is running it with a sizeable load and doing so often. For this I believe the 292 would be a better choice..........Now if your driving to work and back home, hauling a 2x4 on the weekends(a 4x4 for the BIG load) I'd have to agree the 307 will be a better choice for mpg's and power. But don't get the miss conception that the 307 is a power house, IMO they have next to now low end, where the Inline really shines.

I've found that when setup right, a 292 is ok on fuel(250 is better of-course), they are extremely reliable, are definitely different from everyone else in small block land, and most important to me, they got the low end to just keep going when the going gets tough and don't fall on their face like a small block.

Inlines Rule! 6 soldiers standing is better than 8 laying down!!!!!!!!
TP from Cntl PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:16 PM   #10
larry may

Smile Re: Opinions Wanted on Engine Choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwise68 View Post
Wow, thats quite the support for the 307, which really makes me question the 292 build.

the thing that has me leaning towards the 6, is that i can build it while still driving my truck. plus, my dad has always wanted to build up a 292, and things are falling into place for that to potentially happen.

i suppose it's a judgement call on my part, eh? hah.

time to make a list of pro's and con's...

thanks guys! keep the opinions coming!

-Sam.
Sam do the Six 292. Its different and think of your DAD. 307 should be stored in the corner till later on. Hop the six up a little bit. One project with your Pappy will be good for both of you....

Thou shalt be cool and not hassle

Be a site supporter.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool inclines to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2
larry may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:11 PM   #11
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP from Cntl PA View Post
Wow, would have expected the opposite I'd have thought...........I've had trucks with everything from 250's to 292's, to 305's, to 350's to 454's. If I had a choice between a 292 and a 307, I'd go with the Inline. That 292 would walk on that 307 without a doubt IMO. Now, understand, you said your going to "Work" your truck............I don't call driving to work and back home again "Work"..........Work is running it with a sizeable load and doing so often. For this I believe the 292 would be a better choice..........Now if your driving to work and back home, hauling a 2x4 on the weekends(a 4x4 for the BIG load) I'd have to agree the 307 will be a better choice for mpg's and power. But don't get the miss conception that the 307 is a power house, IMO they have next to now low end, where the Inline really shines.

I've found that when setup right, a 292 is ok on fuel(250 is better of-course), they are extremely reliable, are definitely different from everyone else in small block land, and most important to me, they got the low end to just keep going when the going gets tough and don't fall on their face like a small block.
I agree, that 292 inline will flat out pull the little 307.....its all about stroke. IIRC, the 292 has a 4" long stroke, & while it may like a little more fuel, its a tork monster in the low end crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:24 PM   #12
chev74
Addicted to Chevy

my vote goes for the 292...

i have seen very few beautified straight 6's and they look CLEAN when done right. topping it off with the Offy intake will look BEAUTIFUL.

for pulling, those 6's have tons of torque b/c their journals are so wide
chev74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 04:32 AM   #13
samwise68
FarmBoy.

I'm really starting to lean on the 292.

With these comments, plus a guy whose running one on another board, along with talking to my dad...I think it'll be pretty difficult to convince me otherwise as of now.

I'm not sure if thats a good thing or not, but in my mind, I figure that it'll lug a little off the line with the 3.07's out back, but thats what a 292 is best at. Also, thanks to the gears, I run at 2k at 55-60, which helps for gas.

With the intake I want to use, I know it's not the greatest for mileage, plus there is the tinkering factor with the linkage and tuning...but, with a progressive linkage, it'll only be running on the center carb, like a normal one barrel intake. But, when the hammer get's dropped, the out board carbs start dumping. Think of it...like a spread out four barrel. hah. Or even with a straight linkage set up, each carb is only open a little bit, sending fuel into each port.

I really appreciate all of the comments and opinions guys. And don't worry, I haven't totally abandoned the 307, she'll be running as long as possible while i figure out the fine details of the build. Who knows, I may totally change directions. But for now...since my truck is my work horse, hot rod, everyday ride...I'll be a bit different, and plan on building the six.

thanks again all.

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 03-22-2008, 06:13 AM   #14
Pyrotechnic

Turbocharge the 292 !

http://www.customdesignperformance.com/leo/leo.html

Last edited by Pyrotechnic; 03-22-2008 at 06:16 AM.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:48 PM   #15
larry may

Good for you and glad for your pappy.Have fun, like Pyrotechnic said don't for get the turbo

Thou shalt be cool and not hassle

Be a site supporter.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool inclines to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2
larry may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:56 PM   #16
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Dad and I will definitely enjoy the build, should everything fall into place.

And Leo Santucci is crazy with that 292...I already have his book. haha.

I'd love to do a turbo or blower. But...that's a bit off for now.

Thanks again all.

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 03-25-2008, 09:27 PM   #17
TP from Cntl PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwise68 View Post
I'm really starting to lean on the 292.

With these comments, plus a guy whose running one on another board, along with talking to my dad...I think it'll be pretty difficult to convince me otherwise as of now.

I'm not sure if thats a good thing or not, but in my mind, I figure that it'll lug a little off the line with the 3.07's out back, but thats what a 292 is best at. Also, thanks to the gears, I run at 2k at 55-60, which helps for gas.

With the intake I want to use, I know it's not the greatest for mileage, plus there is the tinkering factor with the linkage and tuning...but, with a progressive linkage, it'll only be running on the center carb, like a normal one barrel intake. But, when the hammer get's dropped, the out board carbs start dumping. Think of it...like a spread out four barrel. hah. Or even with a straight linkage set up, each carb is only open a little bit, sending fuel into each port.

I really appreciate all of the comments and opinions guys. And don't worry, I haven't totally abandoned the 307, she'll be running as long as possible while i figure out the fine details of the build. Who knows, I may totally change directions. But for now...since my truck is my work horse, hot rod, everyday ride...I'll be a bit different, and plan on building the six.

thanks again all.

-Sam.

IMO, I'd run a lower rear ratio and a OD tranny............But that is my theory. If your like me and want to run 3 on the tree, I'd go with 3.73's........We had 250's setup like that and they worked well. Anything higher and it took fancy clutch work on some of our stops here in the hills to get rolling again. FWIW

Inlines Rule! 6 soldiers standing is better than 8 laying down!!!!!!!!
TP from Cntl PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:32 AM   #18
samwise68
FarmBoy.

TP,

I'd love to run a 3.73, i have one in a scrap '67 out back. But, since i run almost all highway, driving back and forth to school, i think the 3.07s will be my best bet for mpg's at the moment. It'll just require some tricky clutch work when pulling hills, i suppose.

Eventually, i'd love to go to an OD trans and some higher gears...but. the money just isn't there right now...hah.

Thanks again for the input all, I'm really looking forward to throwing this oddball together.

-Sam.

Quote:
Old 03-28-2008, 05:36 AM   #19
1970 chev truck
Weldin' it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Machine View Post
If you do the 307 I'll bet it needs more than rings. My 307 ran good before the overhaul, but it had huge ridge at the top of the bore, took a .060 over bore to clean it up, not a problem because they have fairly thick cylinder walls. I think they had a softer cast iron in the block.

Also had to put new guides, hard seat and new exhaust valves in the the heads. Spent a lot of $$$ on a set of low perfomace small valve heads. Just something to think about.
They (307's) dont have a softer cast iron, they were just cast with a low nickel content which causes them to wear faster
If need be, send me an e-mail at cbm_racing_90@hotmail.com
1970 Custom/10 LWB 4X4 350/TH350
2003 Silverado 1500 Ext. cab
1974 Kawasaki 175 F7 Enduro
2002 Polaris Edge X 700
1970 chev truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 05:52 AM   #20
Green Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970 chev truck View Post
They (307's) dont have a softer cast iron, they were just cast with a low nickel content which causes them to wear faster
Ok - now we are picking nits, but if one block wears faster than another to me it is softer - but now we know why. Seems to me a lot of the early small blocks had "soft" blocks as many had quite a ridge when the came in for overhaul, usually get about 100 K then time for new rings. Yep - I was a mechanic back in the 70's and remember the Olds, Buicks and Caddys never had much wear, like the Chevys and Pontiacs did.
2001 GMC Sierra 1500 C3 6.0
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote