The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2008, 06:54 AM   #1
Highsteel
Chasin' the Dream

Lightbulb Tail Gate Mods

Without a doubt the most annoying and obnoxious sound that my truck makes is the sound of my tailgate being let down. The old girls age really shows through there.

I've seen a LOT of very nice truck pics(does that even sound right?)here, but not one detail of anything anyone has done to address this area. My first 72 was the same way. Its got to be the ultimate imitation of a Train Wreck!

Before mine gets painted I want to shave the handle, update the catch, and install cables. I also have an "idea" for some cargo lights.

I saw a power gate on one of those Sunday hot rod shows on TV this winter. It was activated the same way as locks from your key chain. I don't know about you, but I think thats cool.

One other thing I was pondering is if anyone makes a strut that would take some of the weight off of the gate as it was being opened and shut. This would be my second choice.

A better bottom hinge is one of my "must do's". Surely there is one off a later model that is a little better engineered. The truck in my dreams has hydraulically operated pins for push button gate removal.

As a temporary fix(for my bottom hinge)I rubber coated the inner sleeve and cleaned up the outer sleeve with some Emory cloth. This made the fit somewhat tighter. I also give the upper hinge a light shot of WD 40 as I couldn't think of anything better to use at the moment. For now the gate works way better but I'm not sure how long the rubber coating will last.

That wasn't the 2/2 drop that I had planned for the week-end, but the truck ended the week-end just a little bit better than it started it.

Happy Easter
Peace
Out
Highsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:00 AM   #2
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Re: Tail Gate Mods

i just try to not open my tailgate in public. dynomat on the inside would help, but i cant think of an easy way to get any in there. expanding foam?
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:07 AM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

is it the 'tinny sound' that you guys find offensive... or is your gate making some other noise?
The straps have been done before... there used to be someone bragging about it, bit that was 2 or 3 years ago, and I have no idea who it was. The way I look at that... we replace enough of those stupid cables on new trucks, and my tailgate pieces are all vintage parts... no, not off my truck, but off a truck just as old and more beat up. Why get rid of a tried and true system?
Heck, the cables don't even tuck in on most late models, they hang out the tailgate like some hillbilly's tighty whiteys with his flannel shirt tucked into them.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:09 AM   #4
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

I like the sound of my tailgate dropping. Reminds me it's a classic. Just like when you shut the doors.

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:28 AM   #5
Highsteel
Chasin' the Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riveted1 View Post
I like the sound of my tailgate dropping. Reminds me it's a classic. Just like when you shut the doors.
Yeah, and the really fun part is watching people throw their groceries and dive for cover when I drop it in the local grocery store parking lot.
Highsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:50 AM   #6
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

I just read this guy's build thread tonight. He used F*** Ranger cables on his tailgate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highsteel View Post
Yeah, and the really fun part is watching people throw their groceries and dive for cover when I drop it in the local grocery store parking lot.
People are a little jumpy these days....

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:13 AM   #7
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

What, is SQUEEEK, BANG not good?
I'm not sure tailgates were meant to come apart, since I don't have the brains (yet) to do it...
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:56 AM   #8
72swb_327stroker_?
knuckle buster..

that sound you guys are complaining about was another little known, very very rare... corvette option from the factory. it was a manually operated rear air deflector to create a well needed down force due to the highly over-powered motors they were putting in these rigs and the space age extra light weight rear end that was offered only in gm trucks from 1967-1972....... don't you guys know anything?
Longhorn Man, i am astonished that you didn't bring this to anyone's attention

THIS SITE ROCKS!!!

Check out my suburban on 20's with fresh paint!
Click here to support the site
Check out the Member Photo Gallery here
StreetCruizin
FAQ thread
Site vendors list (scroll down to vendors in red)
join the the smilies fight club
72swb_327stroker_? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:51 PM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I never in a million years woulda thought anyone was DROPPING the gate when opening it.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:17 PM   #10
special-K
Special Order

Sorry but,I love that sound.I figure it`s the pickup guy in me.I don`t slam doors or drop my gate though.

As far as straps vs cables.I lent a`71 to a friend to haul a slide-in camper years ago.It was in the mountains and on a slope.He brought the truck back with a busted strap from the camper sliding off while attempting to load (camper got busted up and scrapped right then and there).He felt bad and offered to fix it,but we never did.I ran that truck another 10 years in my siding business hauling loads of 12' boxes hanging out the back,loadong generators onto the unsupported side...whatever.The one strap never complained or failed.
I bought a `90 Blazer and a`92 K3500 new,both with cables.Those cables broke one after the other throughout my time of ownership.The Blazer never had more than a human knee on it or whatever little things that we hauled in the small cargo area.It was our family car.I have trucks for hauling.
I just think it was a step in the wrong direction for GM.Figure guys with custom early Stepsides toss the chains and install Fleetside straps for a nicer enhancement.You just can`t beat those straps.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 03-25-2008 at 04:19 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote