The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2002, 06:42 PM   #1
iluvmy72

Talking Slick50.....GOOD STUFF!!!

My engine sat for 6 months and it ran rough the last 2 weeks until today when I put in a bottle of slick50....I couldn't believe the difference.....anyone else use this stuff?
iluvmy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 07:38 PM   #2
Michael A. K. G

Before you recommend this product, you might want to read what the Federal Trade Commision has to say about it.

Are you SURE the product did what you are claiming, and you made no other changes to the vehicle (like driving it)?

FTC/Slick 50 resolution
Michael A. K. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 10:25 PM   #3
Maximum Overdrive
December 21, 2012

Not sure if it lives up to all its claims but I used some in my motor about 10 years ago and it helped my motor turn over a little faster when it was -20 below. I never did notice anything else as far as horsepower and such but in every other specialty product ( spark plugs, air filters) I never noticed any increase either.
Old 10-30-2002, 12:42 AM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I can't find it now...but I'm sure some one has the link to the site I posted last year...does snake oil ring a bell to anyone?
I have used it in the past, and saw no improvement at all...none what soever.
Onless you call a couple pounds of sludge in the pan an improvement. (I chainge my oil too often, and this happened in 2 engines, one with only 75,000 original miles, and another with 25,000 on a rebuild)
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 04:45 AM   #5
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

I have had good results with Slick 50 in the past, always in old engines. Quitened them down and I did see a slight improvement in MPG, never noticed an improvement in performance. I have always looked at it as a temporary fix though, usually as a way to extend the life of an old clunker for a while. The gearbox additive works as well again as a temporary fix.

You'd probably be just as well off changing the oil and filter after a thousand miles or so and using a fuel system cleaner additive in your gas for a few thousand miles to clean any crap out of the system, carbon and gum off valves etc. I had a sticking inlet valve recently and a couple of tankfuls of gas with a fuel cleaner (called Redex, maybe just a UK brand) sorted it out and now I have no further problems. Gas also does age so whatever that was sat in you tank after six months could have contributed to the poor running.

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission

Last edited by Lippyp; 10-30-2002 at 04:48 AM.
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 12:10 PM   #6
yellowgmc
Getting cabin fever?!?!?!

i put slick 50 in my old 88 sunbird and saw no change. after i sold it the girl who bought it took it to one of those quickie oil change places and they didn't tighten the filter. i don't know what they did in those commercials when they ran the viper with no oil, but the sunbird sure blew up good. went about 2 miles leaking oil, then bang!!!!!

1972 GMC 1500
1994 F-150 XL 4x4

Tact is for people not whitty enough to be sarcastic
yellowgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 12:23 PM   #7
Michael A. K. G

I think I have a clue about those ads.

If you run the engine at high RPM and DON'T SLOW IT DOWN, the engine will trap oil in the bearings, even with no pressure, and can last a much longer time than you would expect. When you drop into neutral at a stop sign and then punch the accelerator, you will then not replenish the oil expelled from the bottom-end bearings and rip a rod bearing cap off (or somesuch).

An acquaintance (Dimitri Elgin, if any of the racers know him) claims to have drained the oil from an old Dodge V8, put a brick on the throttle, and ran a pool on how long the engine would last that way (his answer was over 30 minutes).
Old 10-30-2002, 12:24 PM   #8
iluvmy72

I'm just tell'n ya my experience with it.....my engine is 30 years old and is tired and it ran really rough for the last 2 1/2 weeks.....once I put that stuff in I had in definate improvment by at least 40%....but that's been my experience with it.......but I did hear funny stuff about another brand called "prolong"....anyways....I think I might be able to get another 2 thousand miles out of it.
Old 10-30-2002, 12:27 PM   #9
Canada20

Oil Extreme

There's supposed to be some really good stuff called Oil Extreme that has a lengthy test and evaluation online from David Vizard. I don't know if the guy is really credible or not but it seems that way.Not trying to subvert your thread, just throwing out other products is all.

Greg

Old 10-30-2002, 12:30 PM   #10
iluvmy72

perfectly ok man.....this is the first time I've picked a "fix it in a can" product and it's been positive......but I'd still rather have a rebuilt engine running nothing but Pep Boys synthetic.
Old 10-30-2002, 01:19 PM   #11
Maximum Overdrive
December 21, 2012

I should add that my motor at the time did have alot of mileage on it. The only reason I bought it was I got if from some farmer who had bought a few cases of it and got it for $10 a quart.
Old 10-30-2002, 01:45 PM   #12
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

There is a Dave Vizard over here in the UK that is considered to be an engine tuning god. If it's the same man then he is highly credible. He's written several tuning books and I believe has worked on some of Haynes books as well.

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 04:50 PM   #13
greasemonkey

I have a couple David Vizard smallblock tuning books. He used to race Minis against Corvettes and smoke 'em. Pretty funny.
1987 Jimmy
2004 Tahoe
2005 Silverado 1500
2005 Silverado 3500
greasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 11:51 PM   #14
dashadow

Some swear by it ,some at it.

I have heard both good and bad on Slick 50. I have never used it in a motor but I used to do machine shop and plant maintenance work. I have used it in steel forging machines using nitride coated parts and it was great. Machine RPM actually picked up slightly but greatest benefit was a reduction in part wear. Again,this was in combination with nitride coating so it would be hard to say what the results would have been using S50 and no coating. One thing is for sure,nothing adds metal and a loss of metal is the core problem in a worn out motor. Rebuild is the only answer,at least to me it would be. On the other,hand if the motor is worn out anyway,it couldn't hurt it now could it?
Old 10-31-2002, 12:49 PM   #15
Michael A. K. G

Re: Some swear by it ,some at it.

Quote:
Originally posted by dashadow
On the other,hand if the motor is worn out anyway,it couldn't hurt it now could it?
Of course it could.

There is a big difference between a small amount of rod knock and a broken rod due to oil starvation because the now-thicker oil won't make it through sludge-filled channels. As you know, such rods can make big holes in the block.
Old 10-31-2002, 03:20 PM   #16
Jmac05
L.E.D. Tail lights, Baby!

Prolong? Lucas Oil? zMax?

Has anyone used these products and had BAD results? I was using zMax, and the counter dude at the PepBoys said it ruined the seals in his car, and he gave me a quart of Lucas Oil to use instead.
Does anyone have any negative opinions on any of these???
If interested, visit:
www.earlyclassic.com
or our website:
www.jmcled.com
All 67-72 GM Taillights are on sale untill 5 p.m. on Dec
15th, with Guaranteed Christmas delivery!

joel.mcwaters@jmcled.com
Jmac05 is offline   Reply With Quote