The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2008, 03:41 AM   #1
dan42

Warning: if somebody works on your truck -

If you have someone do work on your truck, be aware of where it's being parked and how much gas you have in it - I just had someone work done on my truck, and when I took it in, it had 3/4 tank of gas, and now it's BONE dry. These trucks are amazingly easy to siphon gas out of and I forgot about that when I took it in. They didn't drive it, the gas just got stolen. I HATE THIEVES!!!! Alas, it's gonna cost me about 40 bucks, but I'll get the mechanic to at least split it with me. So be aware, guys.

Last edited by dan42; 04-11-2008 at 03:41 AM.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:45 AM   #2
oldsmobilekindofguy

Re: Warning: if somebody works on your truck -

no offense but unless you can prove it happened before you took it or if even it had 3/4 tank when you took it in, the mechanic might not be very complient

Daily driver- 1970 Olds delta 88, 2dr., 455, gotta love the big block
oldsmobilekindofguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:46 AM   #3
oldsmobilekindofguy

I didn't know people knew how to siphon gas in California anyway I thought that was more a midwestern hillbilly, redneck thing LOL, JK

Daily driver- 1970 Olds delta 88, 2dr., 455, gotta love the big block

Last edited by oldsmobilekindofguy; 04-11-2008 at 03:47 AM.
oldsmobilekindofguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:51 AM   #4
lowriden58

locking gas cap ftw

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...en58/001-2.jpg
lowriden58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:13 AM   #5
49m

Yeh I took my camaro in to get the tires balnenced and they had moved it to the other side of the building and it had less gas in it hthan it did when i droped it off. They dident even balence the tires yet and it had been moved around back?

1969 Mustang gt coupe
1971 Chevy Cheyenne
1986 Iroc camaro
1986 K10 Short Bed
1987 Iroc Camaro
1990 rs Camaro
1992 350 ss truck
1998 Honda Civic
2005 Ram 2500 Cummins

My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=279831
49m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:13 AM   #6
jayharrell
Gettin By on Gettin By

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowriden58 View Post
locking gas cap ftw

Size 13 and a gotch eye. The snake eye doesn't seem to get though to body men as much as the gotch. Most painters have a googly eye that can't be penitrated by the snake eye. The evil eye will just get your invoice padded, the whole 'difficult customer' aspect. Gotch eye is the way to go.

Or try some real bullet holes in the tail gate insted of those fake stickers. It easy to do.

1. Take tail gate off.
2. Shoot it.
3. Reinstall.

But thats what works for me in TX. not sure about the rest of country.

Last edited by jayharrell; 04-16-2008 at 05:15 AM.
jayharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:59 AM   #7
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayharrell View Post
Size 13 and a gotch eye. The snake eye doesn't seem to get though to body men as much as the gotch. Most painter have a googly eye that can't be penitrated by the snake eye. The evil eye will just get your invoice padded, the whole 'difficult customer' aspect. Gotch eye is the way to go.

Or try some real bullet holes in the tail gate insted of those fake stickers. It easy to do.

1. Take tail gate off.
2. Shoot it.
3. Reinstall.

WHAT?! Did I miss something here???

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:37 AM   #8
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

Quote:
Size 13 and a gotch eye. The snake eye doesn't seem to get though to body men as much as the gotch. Most painter have a googly eye that can't be penitrated by the snake eye. The evil eye will just get your invoice padded, the whole 'difficult customer' aspect. Gotch eye is the way to go.

1. Take tail gate off.
2. Shoot it.
3. Reinstall.

Yeah...uhmmm.....WTF? I think I need a couple more pulls off the bottle-o-Beam to make any sense outta this!
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:17 AM   #9
HoupPhotography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfodgy View Post
Yeah...uhmmm.....WTF? I think I need a couple more pulls off the bottle-o-Beam to make any sense outta this!
I don't know if it's you, BUT someone needs to hit the bottle to make sense.....or maybe it's to much bottle!
Old 04-11-2008, 07:22 AM   #10
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Well, com’on Dan, it would seem if you are an old truck enthusiast with 1,600 posts you wouldn’t be paying other people working on your truck to begin with. Obviously paint and body stuff and maybe a front end alignments should be left up to the experts but really…..why do you need to pay a mechanic to work on a 67-72??

BTW….the dog in your avatar looks just like my dog Xena. I always notice that when I see your posts.
Attached Images

Last edited by DirtyLarry; 04-11-2008 at 07:23 AM.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:03 AM   #11
dan42

He does a little bit, doesn't he? Looks like he's chewing on a cigar. I had the guy do it because physically I just can't any more - installing a steering box, pump, and column, I would be on meds for 6 monthes, and my neck/back wouldn't be the same - I have to make a living with my body, and for that type of thing, I'd rather just pay somebody to do it. I have to say I really enjoy working on it most of the time, just not that heavy duty crawling around stuff. It doesn't sound like anyone has any sympathy for me losing 40 bucks of gas. I guess it's not that big of a deal, and I should have known better to leave it there with that much gas in it, but it still ticks me off that someone would do that.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:23 AM   #12
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmobilekindofguy View Post
I thought that was more a midwestern hillbilly, redneck thing LOL, JK
I didn't know there were redneck hillbilly's in the midwest!

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:47 AM   #13
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan42 View Post
He does a little bit, doesn't he? Looks like he's chewing on a cigar. I had the guy do it because physically I just can't any more - installing a steering box, pump, and column, I would be on meds for 6 monthes, and my neck/back wouldn't be the same - I have to make a living with my body, and for that type of thing, I'd rather just pay somebody to do it. I have to say I really enjoy working on it most of the time, just not that heavy duty crawling around stuff. It doesn't sound like anyone has any sympathy for me losing 40 bucks of gas. I guess it's not that big of a deal, and I should have known better to leave it there with that much gas in it, but it still ticks me off that someone would do that.
Believe me. You have my sympathy. I had a similar problem a number of years ago. Long before $3.67 regular. (that's what it was this morning, I don't know what it is tonight.)
I had a shop do some insurance work on my '88 1 T. dually (that POS is loooooooooooooooong gone!!) that required dropping the fuel tank. Anyhow when I took it in, I had over 3/4 of a tank. When I picked it up it was empty.

I literally backed down the street to the shop & went in & talked to the manager. I said something like, "I understand that you had to drain the tank to take it out, but you could have put the gas back in." He agreed and told me to go fill it up. Drove 2 blocks, filled the truck, came back with a receipt and walked out with cash in hand.

I really got a grip on having somebody else do the work.
I broke a ball joint on my Chevy and was going to fix it when I decided that I was too old for rolling around on the concrete.
So I talked to a local front end shop about doing the work.
I told the owner what my prob was & said something like, "Just go through the whole front end; all the ball joints, tie rod ends, control arms, and anything else it needs. And go through the brakes while your at it."

He refused. Said something like, "I've have a '68 that I bought new. If I had to make a living off these things, I'd go broke. We'll get it on the rack and see what it needs and then go from there."

2 upper ball joints, one upper control arm cross shaft and an idler arm; plus a 4 wheel brake job.

It was a pleasure doing business with somebody that wasn't out to screw everybody.

Sorry I rambled.

El Jay

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:09 PM   #14
67shortie
Green club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfodgy View Post
That's a WTF post if I ever saw one. I took some of that and am using it in my sig

Son you are going to drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that hot rod lincoln
67shortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:23 PM   #15
1956cameo

I would ask jayharrell to explain what he is talking about but I think that would just further confuse everyone. As for dan42 that sucks about the gas. I would get the mechanic to pay for ALL the missing gas. The vehicle was in his care while the gas was stolen. He should keep unattended customer vehicles inside or at least within a locked fence so BS like that doesnt happen. Of course im usually told im too hard on people so maybe splitting the difference in the gas is the way to go.
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:21 PM   #16
rod86
great southern land

well were i work, any car that comes in has a photo taken of the speedo reading and fuel level - just eliminates the "you have put 200kms on the clock" or :the tank was full when i left it" problems.
but it sure sux to have it happen...

86 chevy c10 silverado
rod86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:33 PM   #17
rod86
great southern land

i pinched some of jayharrels ramblings for my sig too:lol;

86 chevy c10 silverado

Last edited by rod86; 04-11-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:35 PM   #18
haysonj

Quote:
If you have someone do work on your truck, be aware of where it's being parked and how much gas you have in it - I just had someone work done on my truck, and when I took it in, it had 3/4 tank of gas, and now it's BONE dry. These trucks are amazingly easy to siphon gas out of and I forgot about that when I took it in. They didn't drive it, the gas just got stolen. I HATE THIEVES!!!! Alas, it's gonna cost me about 40 bucks, but I'll get the mechanic to at least split it with me. So be aware, guys.
Hello from Santa Maria also. I thought someone stole my gas the other day then I remembered I drove the truck to the store. 8 MPG it goes fast.
With high gas prices I think it will only get worse. Sorry about the loss.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:22 PM   #19
jayharrell
Gettin By on Gettin By

Sorry for the wierd rambling. It was more a how to on keeping people from jacking with your truck. Some of that old hillbilly texas philosiphy that has been drumed into me all my life. Mostly based on the "judged by the look in your eye' old saying.

And yes. that posting was late last night. It was raining so work on the 69 had stopped, soooooo....... The old bottle had me in a good mood.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:17 PM   #20
rod86
great southern land

Quote:
Sorry for the wierd rambling. It was more a how to on keeping people from jacking with your truck. Some of that old hillbilly texas philosiphy that has been drumed into me all my life. Mostly based on the "judged by the look in your eye' old saying.

And yes. that posting was late last night. It was raining so work on the 69 had stopped, soooooo....... The old bottle had me in a good mood.
haha sounds like a fun time - at least your post was good for a laugh

86 chevy c10 silverado
Old 04-11-2008, 04:51 PM   #21
bretleg

wow jat harrells post wow thats just something unexplainable
bretleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:09 PM   #22
Ole Blue 68

Quote:

I know I've been in Texas too long now because I actually understood what you were talkin 'bout, Jay....

As far as the gas goes, I always make a note of my gas level and mileage before leaving one of my vehicles goes at a shop. Ain't no way they're gonna use it as their parts/lunch runner for the day...
Ole Blue 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:10 PM   #23
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
........ I have to make a living with my body, and for that type of thing, I'd rather just pay somebody to do it. I have to say I really enjoy working...
Imagine what a newspaper reporter could do with your post. I just had to do it...

jayharrell, "Size 13 and a gotch eye." for a minute there I thought you might be from another country. Man, you got to explain what that means, even to another Texan.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:55 PM   #24
jayharrell
Gettin By on Gettin By

Ole Blue.. i fugured one or two people here in TX would know about the gotch eye. I was actually starting to consider some help after noone understood what i was talking about. I was thinking "well, maybe it is me"

On second thought, help might be a good idea in the long run. LOL

Last edited by jayharrell; 04-11-2008 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:57 PM   #25
rod86
great southern land

wat exactly is the gotch eye?

86 chevy c10 silverado