The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2008, 11:18 PM   #1
bguild

68 chevy large wheel help..

I am thinking of getting these wheels mainly cause I am doing thier website and I can get them with probably a trade or cheaper than normal.

The sizes I am looking at is 20x8.5 5x5 bolt offset+12 backspace5.22

My question is will this offset / backspace work with our trucks and do you think the wheels will tuck under the fenders if I get an airride set up.

They do make these in 22 as well and I was thinking of possibly doing a 20/22 set up but never have seen that done so I figure better probably be safe and do 20's all the way around..

Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

Toys:
2014 Dodge Ram
1967 SHORTBED
bguild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:12 AM   #2
SCOTI

Re: 68 chevy large wheel help..

8.5" wheels w/5.22BS would work well in front but would not be ideal for the rear. Rears would need to be closer to 4.00-4.25BS. The 5.22's would prob fit but they would visually be 'tucked in' more the the front track width.

The front track width needs to be narrower or the same as the rear IMHO. . ....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:35 AM   #3
bguild

I can get the rears also in a 22x9.5 5x5 bolt with a +15mm offset and a 5.84 backspace.. Would this look any better.. It would be pretty crazy to have some 22 tucked up there in the rear fenders.. I dont care if I tub the bed.. I just want it to look good. I just need your alls help figuring out what backspace will work the best.

Toys:
2014 Dodge Ram
1967 SHORTBED

Last edited by bguild; 04-24-2008 at 04:36 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:49 AM   #4
SCOTI

I had 20x10's on the back of my 74 w/5.00BS & it was dead on. My 68 fleet needed the same w/o cutting the floor & mini-tubbing. I put 20x10's w/5.50BS + 1.75" mini-tubs. I'm just about perfect so that there's no worries about rubbing on the inside.

That 5.95BS seems too much for the rear & again I caution you to focus on the track widths for front & rear. I have a 2" narrower track width vs. stock GM trucks & used 20x8.5's w/5.25BS up front & 20x10's w/the 5.50BS out back. The front track width is slightly narrower (~1.00").

Even if you get a killer deal on wheels, if they take away from the overall appearance of the vehicle because they don't look right..... are they worth it? IMO, no.

Maybe the rears could be spaced out w/some 1.00" billet adapters. That would net a 9.5" wheel w/4.95BS which would be just about the same as my 10" wheel w/5.50BS.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Last edited by SCOTI; 04-24-2008 at 04:54 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:26 AM   #5
XXL
Seņor Member

And if you spend a small fortune on adapters, spacers, and whatnot, are the free wheels really worth it? Get them to pay you in dollars so you can get what you really want, and what will fit right.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:50 PM   #6
bguild

So is it normal that these trucks need a different backspace in the rear? I had 15 inch rallys all the same all the way around.. I would measure my truck but I dont have the rear end put in my truck and its down to the frame. Now you guys own 67-72 trucks right??

Toys:
2014 Dodge Ram
1967 SHORTBED
Old 04-24-2008, 03:56 PM   #7
bguild

can you explain how to get the track width? I understand the offset and backspace however I always have to research it when I start thinking about it to refresh my brain.. The track width I have not dealt with though.. Thanks for your help guys. I do agree free or not I want them to look good.. However I wouldnt mind getting these atleast for the time being just to get me rolling.. The wheels I really want cost like 4000 grand. free seems better even if I get these drive them a year and then sale them. I could probably also get the spacers at cost if I needed them but I personally dont like doing that

Toys:
2014 Dodge Ram
1967 SHORTBED
Old 04-24-2008, 04:42 PM   #8
bguild

I can get a 20x8.5 with +20 offset with a 5.54 backspace in a different wheel.. the 22 x9.5 is +20 and 6.04 backspace.. not sure if this would work better..

Toys:
2014 Dodge Ram
1967 SHORTBED
Old 04-24-2008, 05:17 PM   #9
bguild

so let me see if I understand this right..
If I go with the 20x8.5 with the 5.22 backspace i would have a 3.28 positive part on the oustide correct?

The rear if I do the 22x9.5 with 5.84 I would have 3.66 positive on the outside right?

Now just some info.. I have got a 5x5 72 axle underneath my truck.. the 68 were narrower from what I have read.. If I measure track is that the axle hub to hub? If I am understanding this right you said the 5.22 20's would fit fine on the front and the rear they would be set in looking.. well if i have the 72 axle underneath my truck and the I get a half inch wider going with the 22 inch rim.. would these look okay? I could do a thin spacer but I would rather not.. DO you think these would tuck still? I am going to have air ride so I want to be able to slam it when parked.

Toys:
2014 Dodge Ram
1967 SHORTBED

Last edited by bguild; 04-24-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:50 PM   #10
bguild

Okay here is what i have found.. please correct me if you think this is going to look like crap.. I think if I go the 20x8.5 5.22 backspace and the rear get the 22x9.5 5.84 backspace I think it will look good and I possibly might need a 1/4 spacer..
Here is a guy with a burb that is running a 22x9.5 with a 6 inch backspace with a 1/4 inch spacer. I think it looks pretty good and with this set up I might get if I do a 1/4 spacer mine would be even more pushed out than his in the rear. Again I am no expert and am looking for some help here.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=265728

Toys:
2014 Dodge Ram
1967 SHORTBED
Old 04-25-2008, 04:32 AM   #11
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguild View Post
Again I am no expert and am looking for some help here.
It seems like you're asking for someone to tell you it's all going to be OK. SCOTI has given you some very good information above. Beyond that, you're going to have to measure, measure, and measure again... putting custom wheels on a truck is a 'custom' activity, which will require some effort on your part to successfully implement. Getting a bunch of people on the Internet to just agree with what you seem to already have made up your mind about isn't going to be much help.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:47 PM   #12
bguild

well yes I guess I am asking for someone to help becuase I know there are tons of people with my exact same set up with truck/axle/ and all.. I have my truck down to the frame so in order for me to measure really wont do me any good.. However I do have a few months that I can probably get some wheels for free so I want to try to gather as much info as I can.. I would measure and test fit wheels if I could but without any sheet metal sitting on my frame its going to be tough. I also dont want to wait a year till I get my truck done cause at that time I am sure I wont be able to get a set of free wheels.

Anyway there is my story and might explain why I am asking all you guys to help me out. Again i do understand the custom thing.. heck I dont think I have owned a car with stock wheels ever.. Okay my wifes car has the stock wheels but not for long.. (-;

Toys:
2014 Dodge Ram
1967 SHORTBED
Old 04-25-2008, 03:51 PM   #13
SCOTI

Quote:
well yes I guess I am asking for someone to help becuase I know there are tons of people with my exact same set up with truck/axle/ and all.. I have my truck down to the frame so in order for me to measure really wont do me any good.. However I do have a few months that I can probably get some wheels for free so I want to try to gather as much info as I can.. I would measure and test fit wheels if I could but without any sheet metal sitting on my frame its going to be tough. I also dont want to wait a year till I get my truck done cause at that time I am sure I wont be able to get a set of free wheels.

Anyway there is my story and might explain why I am asking all you guys to help me out. Again i do understand the custom thing.. heck I dont think I have owned a car with stock wheels ever.. Okay my wifes car has the stock wheels but not for long.. (-;
XXL is right. It wouldn't take much to pop the bed on & take a few measurements. The back-space numbers you've offered can work on these trucks. I wouldn't use them on my truck, but others have installed them.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-25-2008, 04:20 PM   #14
bguild

Well I dont have a bed right now.. I sold the short step I have and when I get to the point of needing to add the bed I am going to go buy at ClassicParts since their HQ is 9 min from my house. (I WANT A SHORT FLEET). Anyway I think I am as close to what I need to know as i am going to get.. Its hard saying and I do appreciate all your help.. I was hoping to find someone with my same set up and running a 22x9.5 wheel so I could see their backspacing.. I guess the suburban I found is a pretty close look at it.. To me it looks like the rears could be about a 1inch less backspace to be perfect on his so I guess maybe like 4.5-5.5 offset is what I am looking at on the rears. ROUGHLY and PENDING WHEEL WIDTH... Would you guys agree.

Toys:
2014 Dodge Ram
1967 SHORTBED

Last edited by bguild; 04-25-2008 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:34 PM   #15
SCOTI

Quote:
Well I dont have a bed right now.. I sold the short step I have and when I get to the point of needing to add the bed I am going to go buy at ClassicParts since their HQ is 9 min from my house. (I WANT A SHORT FLEET). Anyway I think I am as close to what I need to know as i am going to get.. Its hard saying and I do appreciate all your help.. I was hoping to find someone with my same set up and running a 22x9.5 wheel so I could see their backspacing.. I guess the suburban I found is a pretty close look at it.. To me it looks like the rears could be about a 1inch less backspace to be perfect on his so I guess maybe like 4.5-5.5 offset is what I am looking at on the rears. ROUGHLY and PENDING WHEEL WIDTH... Would you guys agree.
I agree, the burb's rear wheels are tucked too much vs. the front for my taste & your 1" assesment is prob right. That being said, 9.5" wheels w/5.50BS & the wider 71-72 12-bolt sounds about right.

Your going to build a short fleet bed right? Get the floor & one (or both) wheel tubs. Consider it an investment in the project. If you don't use them, it's not like you wouldn't be able to re-sell them.....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 04-25-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:57 PM   #16
bguild

Yeah that isnt a bad idea getting them... I guess if the wheels are free and the dont work out or are not perfect I can always resell them.. I still would be ahead... I do have a SWB bed located but i just dont have room to store it right now.. 2 car garage.. I hope to get my frame painted asap and get my cab painted as well and then I could get the bed in the garage and stand it on end until I get my airride set up.... Just wish I had more money and time (-:

Toys:
2014 Dodge Ram
1967 SHORTBED
Old 04-25-2008, 04:57 PM   #17
bguild

Thanks for all the help guys..

Toys:
2014 Dodge Ram
1967 SHORTBED
Old 04-25-2008, 05:30 PM   #18
SCOTI

Quote:
Yeah that isnt a bad idea getting them... I guess if the wheels are free and the dont work out or are not perfect I can always resell them.. I still would be ahead... I do have a SWB bed located but i just dont have room to store it right now.. 2 car garage.. I hope to get my frame painted asap and get my cab painted as well and then I could get the bed in the garage and stand it on end until I get my airride set up.... Just wish I had more money and time (-:
That's the great thing about just a bed floor..... you can stand it up against the wall & it doesn't take up space.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-25-2008, 05:35 PM   #19
bguild

I agree that might be the way to go...

Toys:
2014 Dodge Ram
1967 SHORTBED