The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2002, 08:45 PM   #1
buckola
1 Wrench / 10 Knuckles

Question Hei ?

Hi folks....my first question.

Why, on an HEI dist. is the # 1 cylinder moved 1 position clockwise as opposed to the stock dist. And... why are the weights installed reversed to the stock dist. Well at least mine were!?!?!?!

2006 Dodge Charger SRT8. 1/4 mile 13.3

1973 Z1 900 Kawasaki ( all original)
buckola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 08:51 PM   #2
Piston
Account Suspended

Somebody was a messin where they shouldn't been a messin

GM V8's have always located #1 in the 5 O'Clock position (if your standing over the front of the engine. But can be set anywhere you want as long as the wires are relative. As for the weights?
I don't believe they can be installed backwards unless someone has taken the center weight stop out. Is the other distributor you have a GM V8? Not an olds or pont. these had same firing order but in a CC rotation.
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 09:05 PM   #3
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

it sounds like sombody flipped the weights upside down.....they dont run for sh#t that way! i did that late one nite......& too many brews.......crazy AL
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 09:10 PM   #4
buckola
1 Wrench / 10 Knuckles

Thanks Piston,
I agree on the #1 firing position. I think they may have been moved in the past. it's all good now.
As for the weights. the HEI was givin to me by a knowledgable person ( or so I thought) It's as if the weights have been lifted off and turned upside down on the HEI as compared to the stock dis.
He claims its right but I have my doubts. I must admit its been awile since my hotrod days but the weight placement on the stock dist. looked right to me. I'll switch them around... that'll tell the tale.

thanks
Steve

2006 Dodge Charger SRT8. 1/4 mile 13.3

1973 Z1 900 Kawasaki ( all original)
buckola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 09:28 PM   #5
Terry S

Hi guys, Terry S here; I've been surfing for while, and just registered. For what it's worth, I just put an HEI in my '72 yesterday, and my Haynes manual puts #1 position clockwise from the 5 o'clock position. Don't have any idea why, but I went ahead and set it up that way just so that it would match the book if somebody else trys to work on it on down the road.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:34 PM   #6
mikep
Used to have a truck

It doesnt make any difference where the #1 position is. As long as the firing order is set up right you can put the #1 position wherever you please as long as the rotor is pointing to that position when its at or near TDC #1 . I usually just set the crank at TDC #1 and drop the distributor in the hole. Where it drops I dont care . 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2
Old 11-05-2002, 12:37 AM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Quote:
Originally posted by Terry S
... but I went ahead and set it up that way just so that it would match the book if somebody else trys to work on it on down the road.
I've heard this in the past, and the way I look at it, if anyone else is working on your truck, and they need a book....HEI won't be in it.
Also, any one worht 1/2 a rats rear would look at #1 wire, and follow it to the cap.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 12:42 AM   #8
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I always mark #1 on the dist base for stabbin it in......that & so i dont forget! One shop I work in put my name on my shirt, just so i wouldnt forget......its h$ll to get old crazy AL
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote