The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2008, 03:49 AM   #1
kevinr1970

Windshield wipers????

So I replaced my dash pad in my '82 the other day. When it was back on and I put my bezel back on the the wiper switch at first seemed pretty tight (couldn't move it all the way over to high), but now seems OK.
The problem is that as soon as I turned the truck on the wipers turned on???
The first time they went off after a while and I was able to turn them off and and on normally after that. This was in one shot; I never turned the truck off.
But I have started the truck a few times since then and they come on with the ignition, but now don't go off. Maybe I haven't let it run long enough though?

I have had two different trucks in the past that would do the "mystery" wipe where they would just cycle once or twice for no good reason.

Any idea on why it might be doing this?
1991 GMC CrewCab Dually 4x4, just going to fix things up for now
1982/1989 K5/GMC Jimmy 2wd
1987 GMC 1/2 ton swb 2wd Crew (sold)
kevinr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:45 AM   #2
Eyegore
What Hump?

Re: Windshield wipers????

Bad switch is my guess, I would start there.
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:14 PM   #3
babyJay
Arrived on a Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinr1970 View Post
I have had two different trucks in the past that would do the "mystery" wipe where they would just cycle once or twice for no good reason...
my 79 does this. I just unplugged the wiper motor for now. Have never dove into it to find out the root problem. I did purchase a new wiper switch for it. It's still on a shelf, as I have so many irons in the fire right now...
babyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:34 PM   #4
kevinr1970

I am assuming it is some sort of ground or short problem. I wonder if maybe one of the screws for the dash or the bezel found a wire when going in?

Unfortunately the Blazer is the only truck I have with this style wiper set-up. I thought I had a delay wiper switch but I have searched high and low and can't find it?
1991 GMC CrewCab Dually 4x4, just going to fix things up for now
1982/1989 K5/GMC Jimmy 2wd
1987 GMC 1/2 ton swb 2wd Crew (sold)
kevinr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:25 AM   #5
gezn2

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyJay View Post
my 79 does this. I just unplugged the wiper motor for now. Have never dove into it to find out the root problem. I did purchase a new wiper switch for it. It's still on a shelf, as I have so many irons in the fire right now...
Yup, I'd start with the switch, especially since it was obviously 'different' after being disturbed
As for the 'Mystery Wipe', it may not apply but a few years ago I had a '62 Impala that developed that problem. When I bought the car the wiper switch was in pieces, when I plugged in a replacement the wipers came on and *stayed* on, after a lot of investigation it turned out the park-switch on the wiper motor was suffering from old age. I cleaned up and adjusted the linkage and that fixed the problem for a while, eventually the 'Mystery Wipes' started and quickly got frequent enough to seriously annoy me At that point I gave up and switched out the wiper motor and harness with a single speed unit from a '61 Belair parts car
I don't think the wiper motors on our trucks are even serviceable that way so there might be a fresh wiper motor in your future......

Last edited by gezn2; 05-12-2008 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Hit the wrong button before finishing my thought :(
gezn2 is offline   Reply With Quote