The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #1
VA72C10
VA72C10

Need a review of my airbag set

I have decided to bag my 70C10 Longbed fleetside 1/2 ton 2wd with a 350/350 combo. I just want some confirmation on my decisions and anything i might be missing or ordering wrong noticed before i order everything. Or worse, missing something when i'm tearing it down and having to wait for parts as i will only have help on certain times to work on it.
First off, i just want to be able to tuck the tires at local shows. I am not looking to lay frame and do not want to mess with the inner fenders or the bed. I just want a reliable system with control to raise lower at least the front and back together if not all four wheels individually and definitely an all dump/all raise option. Not concerned with the speed as long as it's not a few minute fill time.

The current setup i've decided on:

4 Slam Specialties RE7 Bags
2 1/2" drop spindles in the front
New shocks
CPP Shock relocator kit in rear
1/2" or 3/8" air lines....not sure yet
7 switch EAI air ride controller
Suicide doors.com front plates/cups
Rear bags to be bolted in stock location
5 gallon air tank
Viar 380 dual compressors
3/8" valves (6 or 8 haven't decided)
Brass fittings
145/150lb pressure switch
No C-notch planned.....yet, but i'm considering it.....best option?
2" blocks in rear if that will help???

Any glaring weakness on the system...anything i am overlooking? Do i need to run sway bars with this setup? I am not planning on this being a daily driver. Just weekend cruising and picking up stuff from the hardware store every once in a while.

Will i be as low as this beautiful truck below without a C-notch?

Name:  Blue with lower trim and 18 and 20 in rims.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  52.6 KB

Should i install 2" blocks to get this low in the rear or will i hit something before that?

Do i remove or shave the factory bumpstops as the RE7's have internal bumpstops?

Side note: I'd like to plumb an additional fitting/hose to be able to fill up a flat for me/friend...is that as simple as making sure the air tank has an extra fitting and installing a valve or is there something else i need to do?

Thanks for any/all comments and suggestions....I'm only doing this once and want to do it right and on as much of a budget as possible.

Last edited by VA72C10; 06-04-2008 at 08:02 AM.
VA72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:49 PM   #2
Gulf Rat

Re: Need a review of my airbag set

Looks great, I'm building a 71 LWB with more of a Rat Rod look. But I like your setup. Great job!

Gulf Rat
Gulf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:19 PM   #3
myoldchevytruck
Retired Air Force Veteran

Jonathan, just a few things IMO:

On your New Shocks: Make sure there drop shocks. Were going to use Nitro Drop Shocks.

For your air supply line: I would use at least 3/8" inch. (1/4" inch is way to small and will be way to slow).

Last, I highly recommend you put a QD air fitting on your tank. We put one on my sons bagged S-10 and it came handy for both him and one of the trucks traveling with him to a weekend show (IMHO it's just a smart thing to do).

As far as the stance of the Blue Truck. You should be very close to that. Allot will depend on your wheels and tires.

BTW, how's that filler neck working out for you?

Good Luck. It's gonna look nice.
Swap 6 Lug to 5 Lug (w/ Disk Brakes in Front)
3/6 Drop

Help Support The Board
Click Here For Information On How To Subscribe

Krue's FAQ Page

Vendors

Last edited by myoldchevytruck; 06-01-2008 at 10:25 PM.
myoldchevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:50 PM   #4
VA72C10
VA72C10

Haven't got a chance to work on the truck much lately, but i'm sure the filler neck is going to save a lot of time.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a QD fitting? Is that what will allow me to have an air hose to fill tires, etc?

On the shocks, i have been told that when you relocate the shocks to use standard shocks so i'm confused now. I'm going to have my ride height where there is good clearance but lower than stock so drop shocks make sense to me....anyone else have anything to add about the shocks or an explaination one way or another?

I have read several posts in the suspension section recommending the 1/4 inch line so that it's not such an abrubt fill...they say to expect a 3-5 second raise which i am more than happy with. I'd rather it be slow and smooth than fast and jerky.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:49 PM   #5
TravRMK

Sounds like a good plan. I would go with 8 valves over the 6 valve setup.
TravRMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:56 AM   #6
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a QD fitting? Is that what will allow me to have an air hose to fill tires, etc?

On the shocks, i have been told that when you relocate the shocks to use standard shocks so i'm confused now. I'm going to have my ride height where there is good clearance but lower than stock so drop shocks make sense to me....anyone else have anything to add about the shocks or an explaination one way or another?

I have read several posts in the suspension section recommending the 1/4 inch line so that it's not such an abrubt fill...they say to expect a 3-5 second raise which i am more than happy with. I'd rather it be slow and smooth than fast and jerky.
Anybody have answers to these questions?
Old 06-02-2008, 07:24 AM   #7
myoldchevytruck
Retired Air Force Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Haven't got a chance to work on the truck much lately, but i'm sure the filler neck is going to save a lot of time.

I have read several posts in the suspension section recommending the 1/4 inch line so that it's not such an abrubt fill...they say to expect a 3-5 second raise which i am more than happy with. I'd rather it be slow and smooth t
than fast and jerky.
Jonathan, Sorry I did not reply yesterday. Seems the site was down for most of the day. Tried on a few computers and with my sons board name - nothing till this morning (never thought I would say it. A day w/o being able to sign in...WOW, It was a long day. LOL)

Anyway, A QD fitting is a "Quick Disconnect". Yes a fill connect on your tank for filling your tire with air. Our setup on the S-10 was a female QD and my son kept a small coil like air line w/ and air chuck for filling tires. You can get the fittings and line from Auto Zone, Harbor Frieght, Advanced Auto, etc.

As for the shocks. I'm using drop shocks but I'm also using 6 inch drop coils that I purchased from GMC Pauls. I see your ordering from *****************. Talk to them about the shock issue. Also, the guys from ECE will also know. Ask either one. THEY WILL GIVE YOU THE ANSWER.

And last...the airline size. True 1/4" line will give you a slower, smoother fill opposed to a quicker, jolt to raise your truck.

Hope this helped.Good Luck. When your done, show some pictures.
Swap 6 Lug to 5 Lug (w/ Disk Brakes in Front)
3/6 Drop

Help Support The Board
Click Here For Information On How To Subscribe

Krue's FAQ Page

Vendors

Last edited by myoldchevytruck; 06-02-2008 at 07:24 AM.
myoldchevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:04 PM   #8
VA72C10
VA72C10

Thanks for the info. I will be contacting a few companies today. I have emailed a few of them with no response, so i'll be calling around today.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:18 AM   #9
VA72C10
VA72C10

Called and got some info, but nothing specific to our trucks. I have searched and read probably 50 posts on lowering, but see several different answers depending what the person is trying to accomplish and what components they're using. Any advice on my particular setup based on what i'm trying to accomplish?
Old 06-04-2008, 04:19 AM   #10
Rokcrln

Looks good but I would do a C-notch or you will end up bumping a bit because with air bags you just want to go lower as time goes on. Also if you are runing 1/4" line (that is what I like as well) won't you want 1/4" valves? If they do not make 1/4" valves make sure you get the corect fittings for the valves, tank, and bags for your 1/4" line. I would recomend 2 pumps as 1 will take along time to fill a 5gal tank. As for shock info call Stan at ECE and get his take in it.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:01 AM   #11
VA72C10
VA72C10

Thanks. I will be running a dual compressor setup because of the fill time. I will also be running 3/8" valves with 1/2" or 3/8" line after talking to some vendors.