The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2002, 10:39 PM   #1
galoolie

Mexican paint job

Has anyone had their truck painted in Mexico? If so, what were the details?
(Where, how much, how good type of paint etc)
thanks.
Old 11-07-2002, 10:45 PM   #2
Crank

Why? Are u planning on going to Mexico from Oregon to get ur truck painted. Not worth it man, too far. J/K.
Brandon.
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 10:56 PM   #3
chevy_fatman
Where's my beer?

I haven't got any paint jobs down there, but from what I hear labor is pretty cheap (way cheap if you ask me) if you want a good job you might want to get your own paint and have someone down there do the job, just be specific what you want, and how you want it. just my .02
chevy_fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 11:11 PM   #4
Alexis
Member since 2000

lol, i've seen a mexico painted truck. not bad but hell you might not get back, lol.
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 01:22 PM   #5
70 longbed

galoolie,

My friend just had his done, in Naco. (We live about 30 minutes from the border.) He supplied the paint, and they did the rest.

They took the truck down to the metal, anyplace that had bondo, was cleaned out, either pulled out or had new metal welded in. All holes welded shut (from trim)and stake pockets welded. The truck was then painted inside and out. Paint and supplies was @ $800 and paid $1100 for all the labor.

The truck looks great. I will try and get a pic posted, but haven't tried to do that yet on this board.
70 longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 04:45 PM   #6
Desert Rat

Being in AZ i see lots of "mexican"paint jobs.Some are sweet,if they are done in a shop in the US,some of the backyard guys are awesome but be very very careful.sometimes standards of NICE are just real shiny the 20 footers.many of those paint jobs consist of beind DA'd,lots of bondo,knocked down and shot.and you could surf in the waves if you look down the side,you are better of staying where you are so you can have a guarantee,if you dont like it,or the paint falls off in 6 months you can go back,and you can check them out through Better Buis Bereau.if done in Mexico,you could hit a pothole and your whole paint job may fall off,aint a thing you can do,probably laugh if you took it back,i wouldnt even take mine across the border,if you do be 100% sure you get Mexican insurance(yes it does exist),and that protects you if you hit someone,people will pull infront of you on purpose their,to get some $$$$ and stay with your truck until its done,and supervise the work,alot of the natives(NOT ALL) would rather screw you over,not saying all.but i know of stuff once it enters it dont have to come back and theres nothing you can do.they can keep it if they feel like it,and getting it back would be LOL.Save up the cash get it done by a reputable shop in your area.I live fairly close to Mexico and wouldnt dare take it down there unless i was 100% mexican myself but this gringo knows its not a good idea.
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 05:52 PM   #7
greasemonkey

Have I ever seen one? Yes, every day. My truck has a Mexican paint job on it, and believe me, you better know who to go to before it is painted. Mine is really bad, but that's the way I bought it. They put some really crooked funky stripes down the side that were supposed to match the off-white top, but they failed at matching the color. They did not seal off doorways etc so you see all this overspray in the jambs. And they tried to fade the darker red into the original bright red in the engine compartment and again failed. They tried to paint the engine in the truck and got paint on the hoses, frame, alternator, you name it and it has at least a little Chevy red on it. So my advice- don't do it unless you know this person real well.
1987 Jimmy
2004 Tahoe
2005 Silverado 1500
2005 Silverado 3500
greasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 06:51 PM   #8
SWINGSAX68
Now the others dig........

Lightbulb Hmmm...

My grifreinds dad has his 63
painted in Mexico...deep mexico about 6 months ago, by San Louis Potosi.

It took them 2 1/2 months to do. He had taken that same truck but to another shop in Mexico, but it took less time.

The truck looks real nice from the outside with clear coat and everything. BUUUUUUUTTTTT.....the engine bay was completely oversprayed and it looked bad. It also got some over spray on the vent windows and what not....then again you can only tell when you open the hood and look real close.
He had trouble with the shop guys. They said "oh yeah in a month it will be done!!"
he goes back to san antonio and shows up again to pick up his truck a month later. It hadn't even been started on, so he gave them another chance, but the next month low and behold he got there and they had barely started sanding it down. He told them that he wasn't gonna pay them and that he wanted his truck back so they told him we can have it done in two weeks. And it was.
So you know it may be cheaper and what not, but from were you are.....Why bother....the trip to and back plus gas and what not would add up and might help get a better professional job in the states. I wouldn't waste my time. If you are going, at least pick up some Cab mounts or window seals.....those you really can't go wrong with down there. And sometimes you only get what you payed for. it is cheap and sometimes good quaility, but it's not worth it....if you plan on getting a good cheap job, you need to go into deep mexico....the border towns are almost as expensive as US shops.
Just my $0.02
LOOKING FOR A 67 4 DOOR IMPALA!!!Just like Sam and Dean Winchester!! 'Cause Mustangs are for p^**#$ and you can fit a body in the trunk of a 67 Impala
MEMBER OF THE DRUM BRAKE CLUB
Bachelor of Music in Jazz Studies Texas State University-San Marcos, TX
Certified Music Educator
I hope Mom is up there watching and being my Guardian Angel

"I've got a fever.....and the only prescription.....IS MORE COW BELL"
-The Legendary: Bruce Dickenson

"F#$@ 'em up!!!!!!"
-The Legendary: Rogelio Escobar

TRUCKY LINKS
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=457750
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=461184
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=472848
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=417541
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=477788
SWINGSAX68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 08:10 PM   #9
galoolie

Thanks for the heads up everyone.
I am going fairly far south anyway (past Guadalajara). Maybe I'll just pick up
some cab mounts etc. if the price is right.(Thanks Swingsax68)
Old 11-08-2002, 08:47 PM   #10
junkyardjohn

Thumbs down

THE TOWTRUCK I JUST BOUGHT HAS A MEXICAN PAINTJOB ON IT, & FROM 20 FEET AWAY IT LOOKS LIKE SHOW QUALITY, BUT FROM 2 FEET IT LOOKS LIKE SH!T. I GOTTA SAY THE FLAME JOB THEY PUT ON IT LOOKS FLAWLESS, BUT YOU CAN SURE TELL THE SAME GUY DIDN'T PAINT THE REST OF IT. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. CAN YOU IMAGINE SOME GUY GETTING $10 A DAY FOR SUPPOSEDLY SKILLED LABOR??? GOOD & CHEAP DON'Y USUALLY GO TOGETHER.
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 09:05 PM   #11
tom hand
CCRider

OT but what was the name of the movie where the guy was going to Mexico to get his seats redone, and left his brother there cause he was scared they would stuff his seats with horse sh!t. Sorry that was the first thing that popped in my mind when you asked the question. I wouldn't even think about it. The few bucks you could save are not worth the problems you could encounter
Old 11-08-2002, 09:20 PM   #12
70 Jimmy
aka Crusher, Crushergmc

The biggest difference (besides price) would be the ability to get your money back if you don't like it. Like getting a someone that is not a pro to do it in the US, you need to get references. That's more difficult, but can be done if you know someone. Depending on the route you take to you destination, talk to someone in the US boarder town that actually has a good paint job from a good painter. Not someone who knows someone that has a dog that had puppies and sold one to a guy who paints! You can get good skilled labor in Mexico for a great price but you have to be on your toes. Life is like a swap meet down there. If you don't know what your doing, someone is going to rip you off. You just gotta be smart and not naive. That said, save your money and get it done here. Be patient and ask everyone that has a nice paint job, who did it and what's thier number. You'll find someone that will do it fairly cheap and has pride in their work. Patience Grasshopper.
"It's funny till someone gets hurt, then it's freakin' hilarious"
70 Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 09:57 PM   #13
mastx

Hey Guys,

Its like everywhere else. You got good guys and bad guys. I was raised in the Rio Grande Valley, (tip of Texas) and my dad always got stuff done across the border. Of course, he had built up a relationship with a few mechanics, muffler guys, and body shop guys. You guys can imagine the stories my dad can tell.
Anyway, whether you do it in the US or Mex, make sure you know the people you are dealing with as well as their reputation. It'll keep you out of a jam.

Mario
1970 C/20 (in slow progress)
1971 Custom Camper Longhorn
mastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 03:27 AM   #14
Hooter
My other Love

Id be scared to leave my truck there. I would never be sure if id get it back. or get it back in one piece

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote