The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2002, 01:32 PM   #1
sixnine
Longtime Member

I must REALLY like this damn truck........

........okay, I really do. But why does it seem like unless you spend tons of dough on these old trucks your're constantly having problems and needing to fix something? I know, I know, they're 30+ years old. I'm just rambling because I'm frustrated. This morning I was taking my daughter to the baby sitters in my '69 and it died at a light. A VERY BUSY light. The good thing was, my wife wasn't too far behind us. I got her to push me to a parking lot. The bad thing is, she's never pushed another vehicle, and now the front bumper on her 2001 Ford (sorry guys) Expedition is about an inch lower than it should be and her front license plate and mounting bracket are laying on the back seat. I don't want to even think how much it will cost to fix it. I'm surprised the air bag didn't go off. Anyway, right before my truck died it seemed like the alternator went out. I didn't have any lights on, but the motor has an H.E.I on it and the blower fan was on. It's done this once before. It was at night and I had lights on. The alternator just seemed to quit charging and the lights started to dim real bad and it started running real rough. I limped home (no red lights this time) and killed the truck in the driveway. I tried to start it again to see what it would do, and the battery was dead. I charged the battery overnight, put it back on the truck and it cranked right up. I've been driving it ever since and haven't had a problem. Until this morning. I thought if an alternator quit charging, it was dead. Can an alternator run off and on like that? I'm at work now and won't be able to look at it 'till this evening, any ideas to help trouble shoot?
Sorry for the long post guys. Hope I didn't bore the hell out of ya.
sixnine
sixnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 01:40 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

On my GMC, the plug for the ext regulater had alot of corrosion in it. It would charge off and on. When the lights would dim and the wipers slow down, would just get out and wiggle the plug untill everything came back to life.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 01:55 PM   #3
Pumkin Truck
Thats just prime!

Re: I must REALLY like this damn truck........

Quote:
Originally posted by sixnine
........The good thing was, my wife wasn't too far behind us. I got her to push me to a parking lot?
I thought you literally had her push your truck! LOL Sorry. I do believe that it is your alternator.

*99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28
1 Bad 5.7ltr LS1
Pumkin Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 02:09 PM   #4
sixnine
Longtime Member

Pumkin Truck,

If I'd have known she was gonna ram into me about 5 times too many, I would have made her get out and physically push me!
lol! I didn't want to use her car as a push vehicle, but the traffic was really busy and I didn't like the idea of her being behind the wheel of a powerless truck while I pushed. I bet people watching her ram in to me with her car were laughing their a$$e$ off! Thanks for the tips.
Old 11-08-2002, 02:15 PM   #5
barn9
Half a bubble off!

My guess would also be a bad alternator. If you have not already changed over to an internally regulated alternator, this would be the opportune time to do so, you'll be glad you did.
Old 11-08-2002, 03:19 PM   #6
sixnine
Longtime Member

I should have been more descriptive. Sorry guys. The truck does have an internally regulated alternator. I've never rebuilt an alternator before. Is it less trouble/money to just buy a new or rebuilt one? Thanx.
Old 11-08-2002, 04:05 PM   #7
Brewski*

Sorry about your truck~! I love mine too~! But at the times I don't love it I could run it off a bluff. Eveytime I drive it something else is wrong with it. I have rebuilt almost everything but yet what I have not replaced will go bad at any given time. I love I meen hate I meen love my truck--Sucksdonuts? I was all proud last night, put on my 67-72 board shirt with the GMC logo and drover to the store for hot dog buns~! See what I meen$700.00 HOT DOG BUNS
Attached Images

Brewski* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 04:41 PM   #8
sixnine
Longtime Member

Man, do I know what you mean Brewski*! Sorry to hear about your truck. I don't know who's "incident" was more expensive, replacing your bedside or fixing my wife's bumper! Maybe all the board members should put some money and/or spare parts in a big pot and have a drawing once a month! We could call it the "Help me....I drive an old pickup" drawing.!