The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-11-2008, 11:47 PM   #1
Donald Clemens

Replacing a Rockwell T221 with an NP205

Well I managed to install the NP205 where the T221 transfer case (TC) used to reside in my 1968 GMC K2500. I moved the supporting crossmember back 2 1/2" which required drilling new holes in the frame. The side support with the rubber bushings bolted right up to the NP205 and matched one of the holes in the horizontal portion of the frame. The piece of this side support that bolts to the verticle portion required 2 new holes. After bolting up everything the NP205 was rubbing against the bottom of the floor pan and it appeared the output yoke was also high enough that the driveshaft was not going to clear the frame crossmember that supports the center driveshaft bearing. I tried lowering the TC crossemember 1" but found that my HEI distributor was now hitting the firewall. I have since gone to a 1/2" lowering which seems to be ok. Now when I run a string line between the TC yoke and the rear differential yoke, after removing the center driveshaft support bracket from its supporting crossmember with my torch, I have about a 1/2" clearance between the string line and the remaining crossmember. It is probably slightly more than this since the driveshaft tube is smaller than the bolt holes in the yokes. Has anyone had to cut this crossmember? ( The one that supported the driveshaft center bearing.) Secondly, does anyone know of a one piece driveshaft that will now work between the NP205 and my stock rearend? One guy mentioned he thought a 69 to 72 1 ton might work?