The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2008, 02:38 PM   #1
Lane

Lowered rear - centering tire question

Here's a pic:

Notice how far back the tire is. With the big gap in front of the tire - it looks like crap and this tire/wheel combo will not work as is. Moving the wheel/tire forward would solve the problem. A buddy of mine says yeah - flip the crossmember and move it all forward. That will help the angle of the trailing arms - yes - and center the wheel/tire in the fender.

Sounds all good, but then there's the upper spring mount area(there is some room there), the shock mounts, panhard bar and mount - that all has to be moved. It wouldn't be much, maybe a little over an inch or so.

Anyone ever done this or knew anybody that did?
Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 04:11 PM   #2
SIR
SIR

Re: Lowered rear - centering tire question

...well you could always move the bed back x-amount....
Old 07-19-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
Frizzle Fry

There's no easy solution there. On the 67-72 the opposite problem occurs; wheel too far forward when dropped. In that case I've seen spacers used between the xmember and the trailing arm hangers. Seems like you could do the opposite; shorten the arms or move the xmember fwd as you mentioned. The shock geometry should tolerate a slight move forward given their angles, but the panhard bar might need a little tweaking and the upper spring holes should be moved forward. I don't think I'd flip the xmember. The TA hangers are angled in a slight V and you don't want to invert that. You can grind the rivets and flip the hangers over to move the pivot up.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
The TA hangers are angled in a slight V and you don't want to invert that. You can grind the rivets and flip the hangers over to move the pivot up.
You're right. I had never noticed the hangers angled in the V before. I may just move it all forward and get some C-stock, like another member on here did, and make adjustable hangers.
Lane is offline   Reply With Quote