The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2008, 10:28 AM   #1
72rookie

Steering Wheel Question

I have a 72 C10 with a after market grant steering wheel. The steering wheel is not align correctly. When I am going straight the steering wheel is truned to the left about 5 -10 degrees. The adapter can not be turn due to the fact that it has to go over the horn button. I drilled three more holes in the steering wheel to change the orentation, this helped it when from about 20 degrees off to the current 5-10 degrees off. What can I do to fix this annoying problem?
72rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:35 AM   #2
cdowns

Re: Steering Wheel Question

the apaptor is splined you need to take it of the column and realign it the horn stuff will freely rotate to whatever position u nedd it to be
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:42 AM   #3
BarryB

^ ditto

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:29 AM   #4
WIDESIDE72

This is a common problem. For instance, many times when a vehicle is taken in for an alignment, the tech adjusts the tie rod ends on one side of the vehicle, instead of both sides evenly. Did you replace an original wheel on the truck that was aligned correctly, then the Grant was off, or has the wheel "always" been off. My experience has always been that ANYTIME I get a front end alignment, I tell the person behind the counter AND the tech doing the work that I want them to be sure that the wheel is straight when I am done or he will be wasting both of our time with me bringing it back for him to straighten out. This brings up an issue with me. Major brand chain stores are the worst about this problem. I still use a shop that is three hours from where I live (Victoria Aligning Service (VAS) (Victoria TX) that is near where I grew up, and where my folks still live. They have the old style Bear alignment equipment that requires a skilled technician, not fancy digital crap that is meant for a grease monkey. My dad and I first started using them in the '80's. We have an '82 Suburban that was pulling to the left. He took it to a chain store and they wanted to replace almost all of the front end components, around $600 (1980's $$$). A friend told him to try VAS. We did, and did not mention the previous diagnosis. They replaced one tie rod end and aligned the truck, the bill was less than $100. Dad mentioned the chain store diagnosis. VAS' tech said "That is how they make their money. We make our money on customer service and repeat business. Brake repair places are the same way. SUPPORT LOCALLY OWNED SMALL BUSINESSES. They are the only ones who care about YOU
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:29 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

before you go tuning the wheel on the column, you need to see if the gear box is centered. (basicly what wideside said)
With the wheels straight ahead, count the turns of the steering wheel from center to lock, then, from center to lock in the other direction.
If it is the same abount, then you can pull the steering wheel and adapter off the column (the large center nut in the adapter with a steering wheel puller, then install it centered.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:22 PM   #6
Senator350

follow up to Longhorn's post:

if you have differing amounts of steering wheel turns left and right, then you need to turn the wheel so your front wheels are straight, take the pitman arm off, center the steering wheel, attatch the pitman arm. correct?
Old 08-18-2008, 08:05 PM   #7
cparman
sharp as a marble

if you sit in your driveway, and count the number of TOTAL TURNS the steering wheel will turn, divide by 2, and turn the wheel that far you should have the steering box centered. If this is true, take your truck to the shop where you get the truck aligned, and tell them that the steering wheel is not centered. this is a function of properly aligning any vehicle. sounds like you are off just a scunch, and should be easily corrected with an alignment. As far as the pitman arm, I think it is master splined. meaning it will only go on one way. some are splined where they could be put on in 90 degree increments. I think you need an alignment! widwside is right!! I own a mom and pop full service auto repair shop, and it just makes me mad as heck when someone brings me an estimate for $500-$1000 worth of front end work, and we sell them a tire or two, and a PROPER alignment and they are on their way. Do your homework, and find an independantly owned repair shop, with owner on site. You will pay a bit more, but the BS is way less.

Last edited by cparman; 08-18-2008 at 08:10 PM.
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote