The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
Rokcrln

3/4ton single vs a dually rear end!

Just a quick question for you all. If you wanted to convert a regular 3/4 ton truck to a dually will the single rear end work? I know the front needs to be changed out for the right hubs, brakes and what not but what about the rear? Thanks for any info you might have.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Re: 3/4ton single vs a dually rear end!

Hmm. You want to replace the 3/4 rear with a SRW 1 ton rear? I get that right?

Or do you want to replace the 3/4 with a 1 ton dually rear and convert the 1 ton dually rear to a SRW?

Miss having a truck

Last edited by thirdstreettito; 09-07-2008 at 02:47 PM.
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:22 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Keven, the rear is the same IF you want the wheels tucked in.
There were 2 types of daul rear wheels... the cab/chassis DRW, which has the wheels tucked in, and the daulie pick up, which has them sticking outside of the stock bedside.
The DRW set up for the narrow set up, is the same rear axle, just install the wheels, and make room for them.
The Daulie look, requires the wider rear end.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:38 PM   #4
longhorn71

the DRW trucks have a narrower rear diff in them.I tried to put drw on a 3/4 ton rear (71)The sixteen inch rims would not fit because the rim hit the brake drum.With eighteen rims would clear though.My 72 drw 1-ton had eighteens on it but I INSTALLED 16 with no troubles or issues.the axles are are the same length in corprate 3/4 and 1 ton rear diffs but the housings on the drw is narrower.the hubs on the drw truck are longer and make up the differance
longhorn71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:51 PM   #5
WIDESIDE72

I thought that Chevy made a "dually" in the mid 70's by bolting the one ton style offset wheels onto a 3/4 ton rear, and that a 1 ton cab and chassis had a narrower rear axle to tuck the wheels in closer together??? Wouldn;t this work the same way if someone wanted to make a "dually" (not offered in 67-72) out of a 3/4 ton? (Outer tires would stick out and need a fender added), as opposed to putting a fleet side bed on a cab and chassis 1 ton truck, where the inside fenderwells would need to be enlarged (?)
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:02 PM   #6
watahyahknow

using a srw pickup axle and dually hubs makes a chassis cab dually axle the truckwheels tuck inside the fleetside bed and the require the inner fenders to be widened to clear the wheels .
one other thing is different on the srw axles and thats the mounting of the drumbrake , the tab sits too close to the wheel to mount the backingplate and the dually drums .
its a nice idea to convert the rearaxle to diskbrakes saving a lot of the weight of the drums , to do that you need the front diskbrakes of a K20 and the calipers if you dont need the emergencybrakes or cadilac rearcalipers if you do , there a couple of firms who make those as a kit .

for the wider dually youre best bet is to just find a dually and jank the axle from under it and while youre at it take the bed with you as whell , or find a G20 van and mound the dually hubs on that again you be stuck with the mounting for the backingplates

if you want more info look here : http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ble/index.html tons and tons of info on there

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts

Last edited by watahyahknow; 09-07-2008 at 06:03 PM.
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote