The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2008, 04:04 PM   #1
Nolowrider

Which tire?

Hope this is in the right place, but here goes......

Hello folks, looking at both of these two tires and not really sure which to go with. Does anyone have any expierence with either tire?

Looking for a good street tire that will grab, no track time, weekend driver.

I plan on putting them on a Weld Draglite 15x12 rim with a 7.5 backspace (5x5 pattern). Plan on narrowing the axel approx. 3". Question is, if I run the 7.5 backspace and plan on cutting the axel, does that basically equate to a 10.5 backspace, for measuring purposes? Trying to put as big tire as possible under my 74 stepper without moving the leaf springs to the inside of the frame rail. Plan on flipping the springs that's why I think I want the 29x15.50 tire to level her out. Want to get the tires as close to the outside fender well as possible without rubbing as not to look goofy. The way I figure I can get 16 tire fine, so maybe a 1/2 wheel spacer. Any help would be great. Tires/wheels are not my speciality. I know that a mini tub will needed.

I like the M/T Sportsman S/R radial, but they don't offer a 29x15/15.5 for a 12" rim.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku
Nolowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:07 PM   #2
hotrodhomi

Re: Which tire?

tirerack.com they have all the info you need. They also do reviews and show all of the specs for the tire, like tread wear.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:22 PM   #3
Nolowrider

Cool, I will check them out. Thank you Hotrod.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:48 PM   #4
f.monroe

I am pretty sure that the wheels will fit with that size tire with the rear at its current width . If you narrow the rear 3 inches overall, It will be like adding 1.5 inches of backspace to the wheels . If you narrow it 3 inches on each side , then it will be like adding three inches of backspacing toeach wheel .I dont think you will be able to run that wheel if you narrow the rear at all . A friend in highschool ran the same wheel and M/T Sportsman tire as you mentioned and he was close to the springs .
Frank
Old 10-23-2008, 07:36 AM   #5
Richard D

I have the 29x15.50 Sportsmans, non-radial, on custom 15x10 ralleys, with, I believe, 6" back space. The tires just clear the leaf springs with no rubbing whatsoever. I had to clearance the very bottom spring just a bit, the short straight one, on one side only because it was crooked in the spring pack. The other side was fine. Regardless of backspace, I wouldn't run them on 12" wide wheels, I think they would then be too wide and rub, but I haven't tried it. I have a few photos if you need them.

Last edited by Richard D; 10-23-2008 at 07:37 AM.
Richard D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:17 AM   #6
grinch4om
dang its hot

I'd like to see some photos od that richard...
grinch4om is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:30 PM   #7
Richard D

The backspacing is 6 1/2" from the mounting surface to the outside lip of the rim.
In this pic, you can just barely see at the bottom of the photo where I clearanced the leaf a bit on the driver's side. This was only necessary because the bottom leaf was crooked for some reason.

Passenger side, plenty of room. Sorry for the low quality photos, it was dark and the bed was full of junk, the hood, etc.; the engine was being swapped when I took these photos. I still need to put wider tubs in.

See where I ground the bottom leaf it a bit?

The left tire got tore up by stuff in the bed with no tubs. 'Doh!
Yes, I know the exhaust system is garbage. The muffler has actually fallen off since, but the cat. converter is still on so it isn't loud. It was a $1000 running shortbed, I bought it with plans to re-do everything.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:49 PM   #8
Nolowrider

Thanks Richard, the pictures really help out alot. Have you had any problems running the 15x15.5 tire on a 10" rim, I assume not since you are doing it. I really like the stance from the rear. It is hard to tell from the rear pic, but is your rear lowered at all? I want to flip my axel and tuck everything under. Also you said you have rally wheels, is that correct? Asuming that I went with the 15x10 wheel and a 14.5 tire, I shouldn't have any problems, right? Thanks for the reply. Very helpful.

***EDIT***

Stupid me, after a closer look I see that you flipped the rear. Did you mini-tub the bed? When you said "The backspacing is 6 1/2" from the mounting surface to the outside lip of the rim." Did you mean outward to the street or did you mean towards the leafs?

Last edited by Nolowrider; 10-23-2008 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:51 PM   #9
Richard D

The truck is lowered with spindles and springs up front, and a flip kit out back.

I got some wheels that were specially made; truck rally centers, on 10" wide hoops, 6 1/2" towards the inside. This was to tuck the wide tires without narrowing the rear axle.

The minimum size wheel recommended for that tire is 10", and they seem fine. I drove it 130+ miles a day to work and back for several weeks. Pretty exciting in the rain!

I need to find a couple extra wheel tubs to widen the existing tubs. Actually need three, I lost one of the originals.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:08 PM   #10
Nolowrider

How much space do you have on the outside of the tire to the edge of the fender?
With me having a stepper, is there any space difference in the wheel well?

Last edited by Nolowrider; 10-23-2008 at 04:09 PM.